Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times

Advertisements

Lol...well, MY leftovers taste terrific...and I don't see the point, at all, of throwing away perfectly yummy food just to make a ridiculous 'image' for myself.

What a funny thread!

Oh, heavens! Gordon Ramsey may disapprove! LOL!

Hmmm...I think I'll take that leftover slab of strip steak and also the ribeye steak and slice it up and heat it with some mushroom and onions in there...then put it all on a big piece of French bread...lay on some Muenster cheese, so it melts, and then continue reading this thread.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:08 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Lol...well, MY leftovers taste terrific...and I don't see the point, at all, of throwing away perfectly yummy food just to make a ridiculous 'image' for myself.

Image? I'm not sure what you mean.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What would you "do" with your leftovers if you didn't have a husband who DID "do" leftovers? Not throw it out, I hope! People are starving. Wasteful society...
Easy ... just cook less.

We're pescetarian and there's usually not any fish or shellfish left over. Very rarely will there be a hunk of salmon or some shrimp that will be someone's lunch the next day. Most of it is so expensive that I buy just enough for one meal. We won't have leftover chicken or pork shoulder or pot roast or brisket or any of those things.

Casseroles like lasagna and tuna noodles are great the next day, so I will make a big batch for double dinners. I do not like leftover spaghetti with sauce at all (my daughter does, so she'll eat it for lunch). Sesame or peanut butter noodles are delicious left over, but I make those specifically for a few days' worth of lunch.

Chili, vegetable soup, chowder--soups and stews with potatoes or beans or rice or gnocchi, all good. Noodle and wonton soups get too mushy and suck up all the broth. When I make minestrone, I boil the pasta separately and add it to the individual bowls. Fresh pasta the next day.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
I don't get people hating on leftovers so much. It's definitely psychological! I had to break my husband of that mentality when we first married - he would never eat leftovers. When I taught him (and proved to him) that there is nothing wrong with leftovers, he started singing a new tune. Admittedly, some things taste better fresh, but some things are SO GOOD second day (i.e. chili, soup, etc.).

What is more odd is that the same people who HATE leftovers LOVE going out to eat. Hate to burst your bubble, but guess what they are basically serving you at a lot of restaurants....LEFTOVERS (i.e. reheated previously frozen food, plus you don't know how long things have been sitting out)!

Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
^^^^^ That's a whole lot of totally WRONG things in one post. I'm not even going to attempt it.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I don't get people hating on leftovers so much. It's definitely psychological! I had to break my husband of that mentality when we first married - he would never eat leftovers. When I taught him (and proved to him) that there is nothing wrong with leftovers, he started singing a new tune. Admittedly, some things taste better fresh, but some things are SO GOOD second day (i.e. chili, soup, etc.).

What is more odd is that the same people who HATE leftovers LOVE going out to eat. Hate to burst your bubble, but guess what they are basically serving you at a lot of restaurants....LEFTOVERS (i.e. reheated previously frozen food, plus you don't know how long things have been sitting out)!
Awesome post. I am dealing with that same thing with my wife. Lordy, all the pasta that gets wasted because she won't eat it leftover. That leaves me chowing on pasta meals in the middle of the night! Lots of awesome meals...with marinara and meatballs!
How on earth can anyone not see how leftovers can be made into something spectacular!?

Old 02-18-2016, 01:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
My husband is like a human trash can. That man will anything. Doesn't care how old it is....his only issue is if it's fuzzy. Gag

Very few things I will eat as leftovers. Certain things I make to specifically use for 2-3 meals like pasta sauce. I'll make a huge bowl of salad so I don't have to make it for a day or two.....pure laziness. Pizza I'll occasionally reheat for lunch.....not often though.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:48 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I live alone, so for me having leftovers is important because I'm not going to come home and cook every single day after work. I'll make a full recipe of something and portion it out into containers so that I can just pop a plate into the microwave when I get home. Does everything taste as great as it did on the first day? Probably not, but that's the price I pay for not having to stand in the kitchen peeling and chopping and sauteing on a daily basis.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:40 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Probably not, but that's the price I pay for not having to stand in the kitchen peeling and chopping and sauteing on a daily basis.
I so totally agree on this part! I like planning in advance so I don't do this much during a work week. You can end up not finishing up prepping/eating/cooking/cleaning till past 8pm at night if you had to do everything in one night.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:58 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I LOVE leftovers, food gets better as it ages, sometimes. On Saturday I make a huge pot of chili, or a big batch or rigatoni, and I put it into tupperware dishes for my lunch at work for the next few days. Every day it tastes better than the day before.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink