Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2007, 06:06 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times

Advertisements

Here is a recent update on recalling Dole's cantaloupes; we also had a recall on peanut butter. Both appear to be carrying salmonella.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_on_bi_ge/cantaloupes_salmonella (broken link)

The first symptoms are often severe stomach-ache!

Here's a link with full description.

http://www.about-salmonella.com/page3.htm

Old 02-16-2007, 10:35 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here is a recent update on recalling Dole's cantaloupes; we also had a recall on peanut butter. Both appear to be carrying salmonella.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_on_bi_ge/cantaloupes_salmonella (broken link)

The first symptoms are often severe stomach-ache!

Here's a link with full description.

http://www.about-salmonella.com/page3.htm

We have 2 jars of the peanut butter, 1 jar about two thirds already ate before the news came out. So far no problems yet.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:16 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Dang, you scared me! I bought a cantaloupe on about the 8th here. When I read about the warning...I'm thinking...yikes, I already ate it! However, I went further than usual in preparing it this time. I normally give it a quick rinse then cut.
On this particular cantaloupe, it actually ran through my mind that if there was something on the skin, the knife blade would bring it into the fruit. So, I washed it with anti-bacterial liquid soap thoroughly, full suds, scrubbing, and long rinsing and all.
Then I cut it.
I just read your link and it said to be sure to thoroughly clean the outside to prevent contamination when cutting... Ironic that I did it far and above the normal this last time!!!! Maybe the psyche knew what I didn't that day?! And, it was delicious
I've been more careful lately with produce and melons/fruits ever since I cut into a head of lettuce and found bugs all through it, even in the tightest coiled parts of it. I'm still fighting the gag reflex on that one, but it spurred me to wash extra thoroughly as it was dark in the kitchen when I cut the lettuce in half and then made my salad. If I hadn't seen the bugs in the other half in the refrigerator light...I'd have eaten them in the part I cut up.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Yup, just saw that on the news as i was eating a fresh PB N J sandwhich with you guessed it, the peanutbutter theyre reacalling!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I posted the two warnings because some parasitic infections mimic viruses, colds, stomachaches and go undetected and undiagnosed.

I also posted because it appears somewhat unusual for both E. coli and salmonella to appear so frequently in packaged and unpacked food in this country.

I haven't followed the course of either outbreak but hope we'll get to the bottom of their origin.

Take care all!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
I always wash my cantaloupe with anti-bacterial soap and other fruit as well. Nowadays, one can never be too careful.

I bought two jars of the Peanut Pan peanut butter on recall for my dogs as I can't stand any PB other than natural. It's too sweet and made with hydrogenated oil.

Anyway, so far the dogs were only given about three tablespoons over a 10-day or so period as it's an infrequent treat I give them. They didn't get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink