Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Southdown, maybe take a swing through NC and pick me up and I'll come along. These food places sound amazing. What a great idea here!!
I'm thinking of hiring a greyhound bus so you can all come along - or maybe a London double-decker with a kitchen downstairs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
SD will you be driving through Buffalo area or WNY/Rochester?
Anchorbar is one I suggest....home to the original Buffalo Wing.....
Anchor Bar
in Rochester NY some of my favorites.....a short list
Dinosaur BBQ - Genuine Barbeque Sauce, Hot Sauce, and Marinades
Welcome to Restaurant 2 Vine
fall dinner menu (http://ediblesrochester.com/id9.html - broken link)
Home
Welcome to Aladdin's Natural Eatery 646 Rochester NY, 14607
California Rollin' - Sushi Love

If you get to the Finger Lakes you have to do some wine tasting and dining....
Finger Lakes Wine Tours & Wine Tasting

If you are in or around Skaneateles NY you should try the Blue Water Grill or Rosalie's Cucina
Thanks skbs! they're on the list congrats on the sparkly button!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
Well southdown sadly IN doesn't offer much for signature state food. But if you want to go through northern IN to Amish country Middlebury, IN has a huge Amish family style restaurant called Das Essenhaus. Welcome To Das Dutchman Essenhaus

If that food trips your trigger but don't want to travel that far up in our state give me a hollar! I will cook for your family the same kind of meal with homemade egg noodles, pie, bread and all! Served of course in a country farm kitchen and I will even wear my apron.

Safe travels!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Well southdown sadly IN doesn't offer much for signature state food. But if you want to go through northern IN to Amish country Middlebury, IN has a huge Amish family style restaurant called Das Essenhaus. Welcome To Das Dutchman Essenhaus

If that food trips your trigger but don't want to travel that far up in our state give me a hollar! I will cook for your family the same kind of meal with homemade egg noodles, pie, bread and all! Served of course in a country farm kitchen and I will even wear my apron.

Safe travels!
I had to download the breakfast menu...but have to admit was amused and not to many places you can go have "headcheese" on the menu, don't think I have ever seen that come to think of it....

Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Have thoroughly enjoyed checking out the links, menus, pictures, recipes....Southdown...with you in spirit...

Old 12-31-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I had to download the breakfast menu...but have to admit was amused and not to many places you can go have "headcheese" on the menu, don't think I have ever seen that come to think of it....
I know! While they serve fried mush as well it sure tastes better than when I make it at home too. But! I can honestly say I will stand toe to toe with their egg noodles any day.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Safe travels!
Thanks Jax, your offer is so kind and very tempting... another pin in the map! Amish menu looks interesting - what's baked steak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Have thoroughly enjoyed checking out the links, menus, pictures, recipes....Southdown...with you in spirit...
Looking forward to sharing some more....

Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
Ok, southdown, you realize that once you've done this road trip, you're gonna have to post about all the places you stopped at and tell us what you ate, right? You can't just collect all these suggestions, head out and enjoy them all, and then not tell us about it. I'm looking forward to a comprehensive and drool-inducing series of reports in the next few months. Please don't disappoint us!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Thanks Jax, your offer is so kind and very tempting... another pin in the map! Amish menu looks interesting - what's baked steak?

It usually is tenderized round steak browned & seasoned before smothered in brown gravy then slow baked. It is very tender a person could eat it without any teeth tender.

Their chicken is broasted, deep fried under pressure, it is the only chicken skin I will eat. Very crispy and flavorable.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Ok, southdown, you realize that once you've done this road trip, you're gonna have to post about all the places you stopped at and tell us what you ate, right? You can't just collect all these suggestions, head out and enjoy them all, and then not tell us about it. I'm looking forward to a comprehensive and drool-inducing series of reports in the next few months. Please don't disappoint us!
I'm planning on giving a non-stop account, warts and all, to be published right here!

Quote:
It usually is tenderized round steak browned & seasoned before smothered in brown gravy then slow baked. It is very tender a person could eat it without any teeth tender.

Their chicken is broasted, deep fried under pressure, it is the only chicken skin I will eat. Very crispy and flavorable.
Thanks for the info, interesting - never heard of broasted either! Sounds very good. This forum is certainly an education

Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Come by my home area of Lafayette, Louisiana to try some Cajun cooking. Poor Boys Riverside Inn is a hard to find place but it's well worth the trip. Tourist enjoy Prejean's Restaurant in my hometown of Carencro, north of Lafayette. If you come through during Mardi Gras you can have a King Cake. If it's cold, get a bowl of chicken and sausage Gumbo. Ask the locals where's the best place for boiled crawfish or boudin (looks like a sausage stuffed with ground pork, rice, and spices). Check the travel site to see if there's a food festival going on in the area at that time of your visit. Festivals around here have good food and good dancing music. There's a difference between New Orleans creole food and Cajun food. Difference is Cajun cooking is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink