Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times

Advertisements

My partner is also a picky eater, and I blame his mother for some of it, she never made him eat anything as a child. He won't eat any flavor ice cream other than vanilla, he won't eat any kind of cake other than plain pound cake, and he also won't eat any veggie other than purple hull peas. He likes meat, cheese, and potatoes only. He won't eat anything with pasta, so Italian food is out. He won't try any kind of new sauce or seasoning on meat, it's A1 or barbecue sauce only. He wont eat fish. When he eats a salad it's lettuce, ham, and eggs, nothing else. The only pizza he likes is pepperoni, if I get a supreme he sits there moaning and picks everything off of it. It does get annoying but his job requires him to be gone for weeks at the time, so I get to eat what I want when he's gone. When he's home we usually eat out, it's more peaceful that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My partner is also a picky eater, and I blame his mother for some of it, she never made him eat anything as a child. He won't eat any flavor ice cream other than vanilla, he won't eat any kind of cake other than plain pound cake, and he also won't eat any veggie other than purple hull peas. He likes meat, cheese, and potatoes only. He won't eat anything with pasta, so Italian food is out. He won't try any kind of new sauce or seasoning on meat, it's A1 or barbecue sauce only. He wont eat fish. When he eats a salad it's lettuce, ham, and eggs, nothing else. The only pizza he likes is pepperoni, if I get a supreme he sits there moaning and picks everything off of it. It does get annoying but his job requires him to be gone for weeks at the time, so I get to eat what I want when he's gone. When he's home we usually eat out, it's more peaceful that way.

Wow I don't know how you cope ?!?!?
What is it like living with a toddler in a man's body who ought to know better ?

You are a better woman than I am . I'm afraid I could not live with someone like that. I am not even sure I could be friends with someone like that. My patience would be stretched very thin at every meal or every time we went out and I would be so embarrassed to go to dinner parties, picnics etc...

I am sure he has many wonderful qualities for you to love Him but this sort of behaviour would just be a deal breaker for me. You must thank his parents every day of your life for making him such a picky eater...

You are a saint.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
My husband has a few food prejudices too, but basically will eat whatever I put in front of him..with a few exceptions. He used to hate most white foods and foods that were touching or mixed together.

Here's the thing. Since I am the cook around here, and I refused to deal with a bunch of rules as far as likes and dislikes (we had 4 kids, too), he has either eaten what I've made or fixed himself something else (this hardly ever happened). As a result (30 yrs later), he eats and enjoys everything now, with a few exceptions..like sour cream or food that is very spicy.

If you have kids, you don't want them to become like your husband, so you better get squared away on this issue. We have a friend who is a very picky eater. His daughter has grown up to be that way and, at 24, only likes about 4 foods. Folks with unsophisticated pallates are missing out on some of the pleasures in life.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,214 times
Default Are you a picky eater

When I say picky eater, I mean not wiling to try new foods. Just because it is spinach, you will not touch it in stuffed shells, salad, souffle, etc. About the only thing I will not eat is liver. I will try anything once. What food will YOU not even touch?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
When I say picky eater, I mean not wiling to try new foods. Just because it is spinach, you will not touch it in stuffed shells, salad, souffle, etc. About the only thing I will not eat is liver. I will try anything once. What food will YOU not even touch?

I have always been insanely fussy but since I quit smoking in December I am discovering that so many foods I avoided are absolutely wonderful. Peppers for instance. I never got peppers on anything and now I can't live without them. Doesn't even matter what kind although bell are my faves. But I will never, ever eat bananas. I hated them when I was a kid and I still won't touch them. I dont even want to smell them! But..... I love banana candy for some reason. Go figure.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:00 PM

I'll try just about anything once apart from things like Dog which I would have a real problem with ( that is my one personal taboo regarding food). Life's too short to be a picky eater and variety is the spice of life after all.

Food is not something we should be afraid but something we should delight in. I have in my times eaten some pretty bizarre stuff, most of it really quite good, some of it awful but I'm still here to tell the tale so it can't have been that bad.

Curiosity and an openess to new experiences is to me the only way to live life without dying of boredom . So what if occasionally we have to take the rough with the smooth ? Such is life and on the whole even unpromising foods can turn out to be quite delicious .

I was never allowed to be a picky eater as a child so grew up eating whatever was in front of me. I have my likes and dislikes like everyone else but unless something is rotten, or actually toxic I really don't have that much problem with it. It's all in the mind.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
I am not a picky eater because like Mooseketeer, I was never allowed to be picky. My parents refused to cater to individual tastes. When I look back, I am thankful for that. I can't stand people who are not willing to try different things.

Now, I understand if you have tried something and you don't like it and are unwilling to try it again. But how do you if you haven't tried it, how will you know that you won't like it? When I travel, I try to eat like the natives. I want to experience what the locals are eating. If I wanted McDonald's, I can grab that at home anytime.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I am not a picky eater because like Mooseketeer, I was never allowed to be picky. My parents refused to cater to individual tastes. When I look back, I am thankful for that. I can't stand people who are not willing to try different things.

Now, I understand if you have tried something and you don't like it and are unwilling to try it again. But how do you if you haven't tried it, how will you know that you won't like it? When I travel, I try to eat like the natives. I want to experience what the locals are eating. If I wanted McDonald's, I can grab that at home anytime.

Mind you between Cassoulet and rotten shark meat ( vile "delicacy" I had in Iceland), the Cassoulet will win out every time !

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,139,492 times
Not picky~but don't want any organ meats.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times
I used to say I'm not a picky eater, but I realized just the other day that I am. I refuse to eat almost all processed foods due to an intolerance to most preservatives and artificial sweeteners/flavorings. So that cuts out about 75% of the American diet.

I also tend to not like bland. I'll try it, but I prefer much stronger flavors than most people. I still can't stand my mother's sour cream chicken (chicken, salt, pepper, and mirepoix in a crock pot). Blech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink