Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times

Advertisements

Pass. You ALWAYS get what you pay for. There's a reason Aldi is cheap, the products are lower quality, ESPECIALLY the produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Pass. You ALWAYS get what you pay for. There's a reason Aldi is cheap, the products are lower quality, ESPECIALLY the produce.
I disagree.

I have frequented stores from Haggen's, Safeway, Kroger, Publix, and the like. Aldi is indeed good quality. They have them all over Europe. Aldi Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG/Aldi---> is a German company. Also, internationally, Aldi Nord operates in Denmark, France, the Benelux countries, the Iberian peninsula, and Poland, while Aldi Süd operates in the Ireland, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Switzerland, Australia, Austria, and Slovenia (Aldi Süd operates as Hofer within the latter two countries mentioned). Both Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd also operate in the United States; Aldi Nord is owner of the Trader Joe's chain while Aldi Süd operates as Aldi.

P.S. Like with MOST grocery stores, the produce comes from all over (U.S.A. and also out of the country). Of course the produce is not above locally or home grown fresh. I am not
claiming that it is.

And yes, I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and KNOW good and poor quality food!

Last edited by picklejuice; 04-19-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,816 times
I have to agree with fibonacci. the last time I stepped into ALDI's was about 20 yrs. ago, will never go in there again. I've seen multiple frozen orange juice containers can lids partially opened. I'm talking about all at one time. Oh, my gosh how can the workers not see that? I'm thinking does management not care enough to keep customers coming back.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
I have to agree with fibonacci. the last time I stepped into ALDI's was about 20 yrs. ago, will never go in there again. I've seen multiple frozen orange juice containers can lids partially opened. I'm talking about all at one time. Oh, my gosh how can the workers not see that? I'm thinking does management not care enough to keep customers coming back.

A lot of things change in 20 years.
I have never experienced any sort of issues with Aldi's food or produce.
We love the Fit & Active products, boneless/skinless chicken breasts, their block cheeses, wines..etc.
I can't recall ever getting something there that I thought was of lesser quality than a regular grocery store.
And our store is super clean...I like that.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
A lot of things change in 20 years.
I have never experienced any sort of issues with Aldi's food or produce.
We love the Fit & Active products, boneless/skinless chicken breasts, their block cheeses, wines..etc.
I can't recall ever getting something there that I thought was of lesser quality than a regular grocery store.
And our store is super clean...I like that.
Exactly. Not to mention one location (like with chain restaurants) 'gone sour' should not represent all locations/Aldi stores everywhere. That's especially true when it comes to things like open containers, etc. Those kinds of things fall on local management, and staff and do not represent the quality of the actual products. Read the labels and compare with name brand products. You will see/read that most of the products they sell use HIGHER quality ingredients than that of their name brand counterparts!

BTW, Aldi pays their staff members higher wages than other grocery chains.

Last edited by picklejuice; 04-19-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Have to agree with NC Mom - I shop at Aldi's weekly - as far as produce - you have to check it just as you would in a reg. grocery store. The price for bread items is much lower than even the bread outlets here in Buffalo and that's older merchandise. I don't know if there is one item I've bought that I've been unhappy with. The only thing I'm unhappy with is the 10-15 cent price increases lately - but it still beats the 50 cent - $1 increases at the grocery stores. I shop at our reg grocery stores for our deli meat and sale items that I have coupons for as they double them up to $1 - all other items I purchase at Aldi's.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Well Aldi's is new to LI about 2 years now. I don't care for their meats, but the prices on Milk, eggs, butter, crackers, snacks and cereal are very good. I think their savoritz crackers taste better than Ritz. I buy brick cheese from there and crumbled blue cheese and hummus which is a good deal. I never buy the frozen seafood or pre-packaged frozen stuff like dinners and what not.. When I do go there which is not often I buy cereal, crackers, eggs, milk, cheeses and sometimes ice cream.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Exactly. Not to mention one location (like with chain restaurants) 'gone sour' should not represent all locations/Aldi stores everywhere. That's especially true when it comes to things like open containers, etc. Those things fall on local management and staff. BTW, Aldi pays their staff members higher wages than other grocery chains.
They pay $12.00 an hour for the cashiers where as other grocery chains only pay between $7.25 -$8.00 and hour.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
As was mentioned earlier, Aldi operate here in the UK.

I read an article in one of the major newspapers about their business model and how they manage to keep costs down.

The two main factors were to offer far reduced choice on any one item, so for example maybe one olive oil and one extra virgin olive oil instead of a whole shelf full of different types.

The other was on staffing levels.

I did stick my head in a store when passing one time. It's not an attractive place to pass the time and is a bit clinical in its feel.

I'm fortunate enough to not to have to worry too much about the cost of groceries and shop at what is considered to be a premium supermarket, which is called Waitrose.

That all said I do hear good things about Aldi's products and maybe when we have to watch the money more carefully we might give it a try.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
^Agree with you. My first experience with them was when I moved to Chicago. Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink