Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 PM

540 posts, read 1,330,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The worst are the senior citizens who don't tip at all and instead leave a pre-printed card that says "I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to leave a tip". They will stiff the waiter even after ordering that second top-shelf cocktail.
Seriously? That is outrageous. Talk about chutzpah

I think I've heard it all now.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,284,539 times
I've worked serving and never have been stiffed or treated like that. The only negative thing I found was the the other jealous sub par serving wenches being ***** because I was making more on tips that them. I always leave a tip. But I do not like to go to any place that I know has bad service.
I would think the old people card was cute. I got a love note from an 5 year old with change taped to it...that was cute..LOL
His parents left the real tip.
But I thought that was absolutely adorable.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 AM

22,365 posts, read 29,497,078 times
OMG don't even get me started on this thread. Im only reading the first page because its already made me mad.

If you cannot afford to tip or will not tip, DO NOT EAT OUT AND WASTE MY TABLE SPACE FOR OTHERS WHO DO PERIOD!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 AM

859 posts, read 2,150,644 times
Lets look at this another way..if everyone who cant afford a Tip or refuses a tip stops coming how many places will shut down?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,350,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
OMG don't even get me started on this thread. Im only reading the first page because its already made me mad.

If you cannot afford to tip or will not tip, DO NOT EAT OUT AND WASTE MY TABLE SPACE FOR OTHERS WHO DO PERIOD!!!
the trouble w/ your directive centers around the fact that eating out is a basic expression of freedom in our society. our economy is based on free trade principles. the restaurant provides a service, and, in turn, receives compensation for the services rendered. billions of dollars are earned yearly by the restaurant trade. tipping is, even though this statement may be ill-received, is a courtesy expended to the server: it is not a right nor a law. perhaps, it is time to take a serious look at the profits drawn by restaurant corporations and the food service industry in general, with a move towards properly compensating its workers---the lowly server!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:

I had this old man that never tipped. But he wrote out crochet patterns and recipes to share. Sometimes payment is more valuable when it comes from money. I do not remember the dollars. But I still have those cards from 10 years ago with his perfect penmanship. He was still wearing clothing from the 60's and lived alone and could not cook well most of the time for his arthritis in his back.

Its not always that simple. Money is a symbol your time put forth to exchange with another in gratitude. His money was his knowledge of crochet, nice treatment, never left a table mess and we knew each other by name.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 AM

22,365 posts, read 29,497,078 times
Pitt, I understand what you are saying but his crochet patterns and recipes do not pay the bills.

I am a very good server and take very good care of my tables. If you cannot express your gratuity to me for having drinks always filled, food on time and making sure everything is good and ok, then please do not waste my table space for others who will. Its just that simple!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Pitt, I understand what you are saying but his crochet patterns and recipes do not pay the bills.

I am a very good server and take very good care of my tables. If you cannot express your gratuity to me for having drinks always filled, food on time and making sure everything is good and ok, then please do not waste my table space for others who will. Its just that simple!

Really? Because I sold quite a few of the things I made from his patterns.

A good mood and well treatment got me happy and energized enough that I furthered myself and I do not have to do that as a job anymore. There were plenty of customers that would do all kinds of things that had nothing to do with serving. Dropping off cookies, vintage clothing, even a VCR!

Shows how long ago this was...But I did not have to buy those things and those people that become friends well...Sometimes they get a hold of cash and are there to let you borrow or just give it to when times are rough.

Immediate pay off is not what you are going to get out of every situation.

But yeh..this though annoyed my fellow servers too. But thats ok. My attitude had me walking home with more tips than they did even with the skippers. That pays the bills for sure.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,751,707 times
pitt I bet your kindness made a difference to them also
Not everything is about the almighty dollar

Way to Go Pitt

Last edited by crazyworld; 06-03-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,279,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Really? Because I sold quite a few of the things I made from his patterns.

A good mood and well treatment got me happy and energized enough that I furthered myself and I do not have to do that as a job anymore. There were plenty of customers that would do all kinds of things that had nothing to do with serving. Dropping off cookies, vintage clothing, even a VCR!

Shows how long ago this was...But I did not have to buy those things and those people that become friends well...Sometimes they get a hold of cash and are there to let you borrow or just give it to when times are rough.

Immediate pay off is not what you are going to get out of every situation.

But yeh..this though annoyed my fellow servers too. But thats ok. My attitude had me walking home with more tips than they did even with the skippers. That pays the bills for sure.
Pitt, that is wonderful. I'm sure he gave you what he could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink