Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times

Advertisements

Help! I've been around family for two weeks with one to go. My butt is getting bigger by the day. I've been eating nonstop. I thought I had it under control for the first few days, but now I'm totally lost. All I do is pig out and then fall asleep and I am eating the worst foods! Cookies, cake, chips, pasta, candy, beer....

Does anyone else have this problem? I guess I need to join a gym after they all leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I would look for the source of your overeating. Are their visits stressful? Do their eating habits influence you? Do view their visits as "party/fun" and therefore neglect your more sensible habits? Until you get to the cause, you can not address the symptom.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I would look for the source of your overeating. Are their visits stressful? Do their eating habits influence you? Do view their visits as "party/fun" and therefore neglect your more sensible habits? Until you get to the cause, you can not address the symptom.
It's all the food sitting around!!!!! I never keep cakes and junk food at home due to my lack of control. Now I'm surrounded by the stuff.

I think I'm gonna end up walking out of here in sweat pants...

Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Anything/anyone keeping you from a brisk, after dinner/snack/dessert walk?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Anything/anyone keeping you from a brisk, after dinner/snack/dessert walk?
I did go on a walk last night, but I seriously can't imagine that any walk short of a marathon is going to make up for all the chocolate cake I've eaten over the last two days. I've never been this fat before in my life.

Thanks for your thoughtful advice, but there is no helping me here. I'm just wondering if anyone else has similar stories to share. I guess this is what most folks go through on the Holidays...

Old 06-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Well, at least it's a short visit!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, at least it's a short visit!
Three weeks!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM

Oh! I thought it was just a few days. Three weeks of that could really be dangerous....Perhaps things will slow down after the initial excitement of having/feeding a guest? Go buy some running shoes and take up running in the mornings?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Why don't you plan activities to do together that will get you all out of the house and away from the food?
Seriously, I feel your pain--that would be driving me craaaaaaaaazy!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
When I know the relos are going to be around (for an extended period OR even just for a brief visit) and I know that it will involve enough food to feed all of Ethiopia and I don't want to play I put my action plan in place.

I make sure to drink bucket loads of water. I will drink maybe 500mls fairly quickly and then fill up the glass again and sip on it constantly.
I fill up on low calorie vegetable soups, tea, cawfee and low cal soft drinks before and during meals (lunch and dinner), and on rising make a banana smoothie with a cup of low fat milk, ice cubes and a banana. I find it expands my tummy so that when the food is around I'm not as likely to be hungry.

After meals I brush my teeth and pop in some sugar free gum. I'm not a big gum chewer but desperate times call for desperate measures and I find if I have gum in my mouth I'm less likely to reach for a handful of nibbles simply because my mouth already has something in it.

When it comes time to have meals with the family I use a smaller plate, try to make the majority of the food choices on it vegetables or fruits and have a small spoonful of the truly sinful stuff. AND I keep sipping the water right throughout the meal.

I also make a concerted effort to eat slower, concentrate on the flavour, texture and aroma of the food that I am eating and thorougly enjoy what I am eating AND I put my knife and fork down between mouthfuls and also concentrate on conversation. (You can't talk with your mouthful well you can....but I don't want to eat with you! )

AND I do increase my walking, so if I'd normally go for a half an hour walk in a day on the days the family are around with all their tempting food, I might increase my walks to 2 half hours or even 3.

I don't attempt to avoid all the yummy food because that just sets up a really bad head space for me and then I discover that I eat more. I just have a little of everything and really enjoy it AND the company.

This isn't exactly the mindful eating program I spent time learning but it's very similar.
Maybe you might find it helpful Woof?

Welcome to the CAMP System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink