Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 AM

665 posts, read 628,452 times

Advertisements

I am in need of buying quality sharp knives. I am not a chef, just a regular person. I want high quality sharp knives that are affordable. I would be using them for cutting/slicing meat. I also require a set of knives for everyday use. Additionally, I need a heavy duty pair of kitchen scissors/shears for cutting through bones (chicken and rabbit) and organ meat (chicken, turkey, lamb, etc.). Any suggestions on which brands you have found to be successful and for what purposes you use them? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 05:52 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I have a J.A. Henckles santoku knife. Best knife I ever bought. Have not needed to sharpen it yet because I only have it 2 months. I plan to get a whole set of J.A. Henckle knives soon.

this is the knife I have best cutting and chopping knife IMO

Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Chefs choice sharper for the kitchen knives.

For my hunting knives I do those by hand on a series of three different grit of stones.

Amazingly I just slice off a small piece of my thumb last week. I rised it off stuck it back on the tip of my thumb with some neosporin and waterproof sports tape. Now that is a sharp knife to make such a clean cut.

A week later:

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 03-20-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
This is a copy of what I had sent to the original poster re Knives.
I have been in the meat cutting business, and also seafood processing. I always use the best that I can afford and along with that the ones I get have lasted over 40 years although when in the business some of them have to be replaced yearly or so.

The following are what I like:

Henckels Professional “S” 6″ Utility Knife

A good “value” set of knives is the Henckels 10-piece Forged Set from had at Costco for $188. I’m 90% certain this set is assembled from the TWIN Gourmet series of knives.

Features of the Henckels 10 piece set:
1.9 German forged blades plus a block for about $20 each. That’s a good value.
2.Hygenic construction.
3.Decent steel holds an OK edge. It’s easy to sharpen, and you’ll want to do it fairly often.
4.Costco’s excellent return policy.

Drawbacks of the Henckels 10 piece set:
1.No steak knives.
2.A little “cheap” feeling compared to the ones that follow (still way better than less expensive sets).
3.Don’t particularly care of the “balance”.
4.Handles a little too narrow for larger hands.
5.“Dishwasher safe” though not recommended.

Victorinox Forschner
I have a large slicing knife that I have had for over 40 years (for home use) and it is great.
Price today is 3x what I paid.

Get to a good kitchen store and try different ones.
Depending on your hands, your cutting needs etc. many to choose from.

Also a good 3 sided sharpening stone and a good "steel".

It is an investment, but will serve for a long time.

HW aka Capt. Seafood.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I'll sharpen a knife if I'm cutting up meat....but most of my knives are pretty dull....I tend to cut my fingers when they're sharp.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
The worst knives are cheapo knives that are only beveled on on side. Never buy one.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
I like to sharpen my knives.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Learn how to sharpen your knives. Even cheap knives are better if they are sharp.

I have my grandmother's old hand-held whet stone. It put a fine edge on a knife, but it scares me to us it. It is at least 100years old and so worn, that holding it puts the knife very close to my skin.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The worst knives are cheapo knives that are only beveled on on side. Never buy one.

These can turn any crappy blade into a cutting wonder.

I have a collection of cheap flea market knives for various uses that I revived and will cut the same as a $200 knife.

AccuSharp Knife Sharpeners - Sharpen Knives, Cutting Tools, Garden Tools, Scissors, Axes, Machetes, Cleavers - Edge Sharpener

Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I almost always do about five swipes on a steel before using. Also take a take 'em to a local JoAnnes about every two months to have them professionally sharpened, they have some guy who sets up there once per month who charges $3/knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I plan to get a whole set of J.A. Henckle knives soon.
You really should rethink this since you already have a good knife that functions as your foundation. Many find that with a set of knives they end up using the chefs or santoku for 90% of the work anyway, and it can be used for most of the remaining tasks if needed with the exception of some jobs only a paring knife can handle.

Just get yourself a good paring knife and see if your santoku/paring combo covers your needs. A bread knife is useful too but that is something that a cheapo variety will do fine on, you'd be crazy to shell out a lot of money for a fancy bread knife it is more of a serving tool than a cooking/prep tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Yup, they rely on a sawing motion to be effective instead of the sharpness of the blade so lack any real control in your cutting. A good knife, like a cast-iron pot, can be a lifetime investment so is worth getting something of a little better quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink