Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,118,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
The question is.....did you get some????
I got a case of the stuff so I could share dick with everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
You meant the product right Glory?
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
George, you're crazy, lol. I KNEW it was something like that when I saw your post title.
What you sayin' Willis?

I was literally looking for canned water chestnuts in the "International" section. The can literally jumped out at me. I hope I didn't get pregnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I have so many things I want to say lol, but would get in trouble with every one.
Go ahead and whisper your thoughts to me. No one is listening. Your secret is safe with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,388,762 times
See Jane run.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 AM

986 posts, read 1,670,719 times
Lmao!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:12 AM

897 posts, read 2,828,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
See Jane run.
LOL - RUN! Thats about what I did when I saw it on the grocery shelf.
Saw it here at Meijer in Columbus. Thanks for clarifying what it is, what a crazy name! Still don't know if I am brave enough to try. Bet it makes for a great gag gift if nothing else.

Question: have also seen Heinz sell "Salad Cream" here as well.
Is that like a watery mayo or something, perhaps a base for a creamy salad dressing where you add herbs and spices?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,672,437 times
"Spotted Dick" is rather an acquired taste though very popular in the UK, it can be edible but I would not even try Heinz's version unless it was absolutely necessary.

Salad Cream is undescribeable really, a disgusting thick and sweet salad dressing, it really does nothing to improve the taste of anything. Best avoided like the plague...

I must admit I am not a great fan of Heinz anyway but those two have to be among the worst of its range...

Does anyone like "Toad in the Hole" another bizarrely named British delight ? How about a "Fat Rascal" ?

Or the Portuguese " Bimbo Sandwich", the Finnish ( and I kid you not, Finnish friends of ours always make them for us) "Jussi Pussi", "Bonka" coffee, "Smutti" ( lovely Estonian smoothie type drink), "Fart" ( juice from Poland", "Pee cola" from Ghana , "Cemen" sauce from Turkey, "Dickmilch" from Germany, "Prick" potato chips from Brazil,"Bog" canned pork ( Denmark), "**** soup" from Jamaica, "Bum, Bum" ice cream from Germany, "Cream Collon" from Japan, "Fart" candy bar from Poland, "Plopp" candy bar from the Czech Republic etc.. etc..

Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,568,347 times
Those are some great ones, Moosketeer.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,672,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Those are some great ones, Moosketeer.
Stephen ( my SO ) and I have been doing home exchanges for almost 20 years now ( 49 exchanges under our belt so far) to many countries around the world and one of our real delight is to go around local supermarkets ( and markets of course) , we have had so much fun trying to decipher what some of the food is and some of those names really are hilarious ( I am sure it goes both ways and some English names are really bizarre to non AngloPhones too) and you will see us standing in the aisles looking either really puzzled or in hysterics...

Estonia was one of our favourites, with food which really was not that obvious and the deli ( my Estonian being rather limited) was an experience not to be missed . The person serving us did not speak a word of English, and we ended up with a smorgasborg of various items, some much nicer than others....

I loathe going grocery shopping at home but abroad it becomes an adventure.
We keep various labels and have a scrapbook ofr sorts of all kinds of hilarious and bizarre stuff.

Menus translated into English can also be a great source of mirth. Gentle mirth as I appreciate that my Estonian/ Turkish etc... would be a lot worse if I tried to translate the other way...

Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,118,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
"Spotted Dick" is rather an acquired taste though very popular in the UK, it can be edible but I would not even try Heinz's version unless it was absolutely necessary.
I have to admit that I did Google it. The description didn't sound very appealing. I trust your opinion on this one!

Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,557,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Does anyone like "Toad in the Hole" another bizarrely named British delight ? How about a "Fat Rascal" ?

Or the Portuguese " Bimbo Sandwich", the Finnish ( and I kid you not, Finnish friends of ours always make them for us) "Jussi Pussi", "Bonka" coffee, "Smutti" ( lovely Estonian smoothie type drink), "Fart" ( juice from Poland", "Pee cola" from Ghana , "Cemen" sauce from Turkey, "Dickmilch" from Germany, "Prick" potato chips from Brazil,"Bog" canned pork ( Denmark), "**** soup" from Jamaica, "Bum, Bum" ice cream from Germany, "Cream Collon" from Japan, "Fart" candy bar from Poland, "Plopp" candy bar from the Czech Republic etc.. etc..
Interesting about that Polish candy bar; there's also one in France called "Plops" which is usually drunk with a soda named "P****t"

Old 06-25-2009, 04:15 PM
bjh

60,274 posts, read 30,513,930 times
Yes, it's a British thing and has been the source of numerous double entendre jokes on TV, also known as telly.

Spotted dick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink