Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:31 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,447 times

Advertisements

I grew up on packaged dinners, but I moved away from those as an adult. Really the only quick item I keep on hand that could pose as a full meal is Mrs. T's pierogis. Everything else has to be assembled and cooked from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Never.

I'm a scratch cook, and I can make "extra" for the freezer if I need soups or stews.

We also do our own canning and pickling, so that we have total control over what's in the jar.

Have you ever read the labels on all those "prepared" foods? there's a lot of stuff I can't pronounce, let alone want in my food chain.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I'm addicted to Stouffer's mac and cheese, and spinach souffle. That's some good stuff.
Some Progresso or Amy's soups, and an occasional frozen appetizer, like pot stickers or spanikopita.
I don't like Stouffer's mac 'n cheese, but every now and then I'll break down and buy the spinach souffle, which I love (but it seems like it is shrinking in size and rising in price.)
I always have some Progresso soups in the pantry, and refritos, too.
I like having some canned stuff, just in case--and this includes spaghetti sauce in jars.
Boxed stuff? Not so much.
I like cooking from scratch, I prefer cooking from scratch, but I'm not a fanatic about it.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:49 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
I have to be wary of all those packaged "convenience" foods becuase of all the added sodium,sugar, chemicals, and colorings( I have hypertension). You would find that many only save a minute or two over making something from scratch. I discovered that breaking a handful of spaghetti into my rice and following the same directions as Rice-a-Roni produces the same results if you make your own seasonings from garlic,onion or any preferred assortment of spices, even just soup stock. Macaroni and cheese is simple to make from scratch with just fresh cheese, milk and a little corn starch. 5 minutes vs. 8 minutes. Healthier, too.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:44 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times
The norm - Pasta and Rice-A-Roni's, Packaged Lipton Noodles/Rice, Amy's frozen enchilladas, Michaels Italian Entrees (both delicious), Hamburger Helper, I like some Campbell soup, but I prefer to make may own. I pretty much try to stay away from most prepared food - it costs alot more, and like everyone else, I'm on a strict budget.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
Until recently, I always ate packaged food, usually basing meals around it. Hamburger Helper, box rice, stuffing, pasta sides, canned soups, sauces and meats, frozen tray meals or meals with sauce, frozen dinners, potpies, Hot Pockets, ramen, you name it!

I don't but any of it anymore. All that stuff has insane amounts of salt, and other unhealthy ingredients. I do miss it sometimes but anyone who eats "shelf food" all the time is wrecking their body. And to those who would say "Ya gotta go sometime!", that is not a way you want to go

Old 08-15-2009, 11:56 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Dry onion soup I'll use in the crock pot.

I'm addicted to Stouffer's mac and cheese, and spinach souffle. That's some good stuff.

Some Progresso or Amy's soups, and an occasional frozen appetizer, like pot stickers or spanikopita.
Potstickers, Stouffer's spinach souffle and their corn souffle, yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
I used to. That's how I got so unhealthy. These days, most prepared or boxed items come from whole foods or trader joes. Or a similar place. But even that is only occasionally. As for most canned items, not at the current time. So I guess my answer would be no.
A personal trainer told me something that stuck with me. Shop around the perimeter of the store as much as possible. All the yummy, bad stuff is in the center.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
This thought came to me this morning as I shopped for a couple things for the dish I was making. I saw some red beans and rice, prepackaged.

By buying that, I don't have to try to figure out what the "right" ratios of beans to rice are. It's figured for me. Otherwise, I'd have to try to figure out the right ratio of beans to rice on my own! (Not what I picked up, but I have eaten that before.)

Old 08-16-2009, 07:50 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
This thought came to me this morning as I shopped for a couple things for the dish I was making. I saw some red beans and rice, prepackaged.

By buying that, I don't have to try to figure out what the "right" ratios of beans to rice are. It's figured for me. Otherwise, I'd have to try to figure out the right ratio of beans to rice on my own! (Not what I picked up, but I have eaten that before.)
Vigo makes a really good red beans and rice.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Potstickers, Stouffer's spinach souffle and their corn souffle, yum!

A personal trainer told me something that stuck with me. Shop around the perimeter of the store as much as possible. All the yummy, bad stuff is in the center.
I have heard this, too, but mostly disagree with it. The bakery section of often on the perimeter, as is the frozen foods (prepackaged heaven), and not everything in the aisles is bad (spices, cereals, etc..).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink