Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:24 PM

160 posts, read 530,936 times

Advertisements

I want to use my crock pot. Anyone have any recipes for dummies, I've never made one before, but sounds pretty good during the Fall season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne georgia View Post
I want to use my crock pot. Anyone have any recipes for dummies, I've never made one before, but sounds pretty good during the Fall season.
Hard to go wrong with pot roast in the crock pot! You could try using dry onion soup mix and some water or creamed soup and just let it go....or you could get a little or a lot fancier. With crock pots you're usually supposed to put the veggies on the bottom and then the meat and just set it and go - don't keep lifting the lid to look and don't add too much liquid.

There's a website from a woman who cooked in her crockpot every day for a year. It's called crockpot 365 or something like that. Probably not supposed to link to it here but you could find it easily with those details if you Google it. She had some tasty recipes for pot roast and pork roast.

If it's not frozen it should be fine on auto for 6ish hours.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:02 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
I put potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, celery and whole garlic cloves in. Splash of red wine, splash of beef broth, Chuck Roast, salt, pepper, fresh herbs. Set it and you're good.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne georgia View Post
I like to chunk up a roast in large pieces, perhaps 2" square. Then I brown them in a pan and toss them in the crock pot with a packet of onion soup mix. Cover them with water, or better yet -- low fat broth, and then throw whole mushrooms, chunks of onion and carrots on top, whatever seasonings you want (remember the soup mix has a lot of salt) and cook on low for several hours.

When you're ready to eat, take a small bottle of French salad dressing (I know it sounds weird, but trust me on this) and stir it into the crock pot. Serve the meat and vegetables over baked or steamed potatoes, with a little dollop of sour cream on top.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I made one the other day. I used a bottom round roast with a little salt and pepper and then seared it in oil. Added thinly sliced onions to the crock pot (and if you want you can add carrots and potatoes - I opted to serve it with mashed potatoes and a salad on the side so I skipped the veggies). Added a couple of garlic cloves and sprinkled with one envelope of dry onion soup. Poured a can of cream of mushroom soup and 1/4 cup of dry red wine over it and cooked it on low for 7 hours. It was perfect.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
This site has 'Difficulty rates' - 1 out of 5 easiest, 5/5 hardest. You might get some ideas ...

Crock Pot Beef Recipes like Beef Brisket or Roast Beef Crockpot Recipes

(I've got BBQ Pork in the crock right now!)

Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Here's one I haven't tried yet, but the friend who gave it to me is a great cook.

Coke Roast

Any kind of roast (3 to 5 lbs.)

Pkg. of onion soup mix

can of cola (not diet)

sprinkle salt and pepper on top of roast

Place roast in crockpot; cover with soup mix. Spill cola all over
it.

Sprinkle salt and pepper.

Cook on low for 10 - 12 hours, until it is very tender.

It'll be the best tasting roast you've ever had!

The sugar in the cola breaks down the fibers, and tenderizes the
meat! Pour the juices over the sliced meat, tasty, I serve
this with garlic mashed potatoes, and butter glazed carrots. Enjoy.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,973 times
My favorite way to cook a roast is as follows:

Italian beef

One 3-4 pound roast. 3 packets of Good Seasons type mix. 1 cup beer. Some chopped/minced garlic if you have it.

Cook on crockpot on high for 5-6 hours. Take out meat, drain liquid (saving it). Shred meat. Put back in crockpot with enough liquid to make the meat moist, but not soupy (a few ladles full). Take jarred pepperoncinis, and add a few tablespoons juice and about 1/4 jar sliced peppers. Cook for another hour. Serve on buns or sub rolls, with or without provolone. It's a bit spicy, so if kids will eat it you may want to go easy on the pepperoncini juice, but you want *some* in there because it adds a lot to the flavor.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,628 times
If you want a really easy recipe: Just put the roast in with a few inches of water, pour a packet of dry lipton onion soup on top and either garlic powder or fresh minced garlic. Cook for 7 or 8 hours on low. You can add small potatoes and carrots if you wish. I usually put mine in frozen in the morning and let it cook all day. I usually turn the meat over a few hours before eating to make sure both sides are cooked.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 10-22-2009 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Another very simple, season and brown the roast in scant oil. Put in the crockpot. Deglaze the pan with water or wine, pour over meat in crockpot. I use beef base or chicken base, not bouillon or cubes) in about everything like this.... add about a tsp per cup or so of liquid ...I cover or almost the roast with liquid...let cook until falls apart or almost...take out, pick fat, bones, etc...cut or tear in bite size pieces, put on crusty rolls with onion, BBQ, or whatever...you have the best sandwich and au jus.

Or I partially cook the roast in the crockpot about 4 hours or so, toss in roasting pan in oven with cut up potatoes, carrots, onions to let them cook 1- 2 hours, then use the au jus to make gravy...

or take leftover meat if any and au jus and do beef stew or beef soup....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink