Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,359,771 times

Advertisements

I recently quit smoking and have picked up another vice--candy. I had some Sweettarts one day last week and didn't connect my tongue and roof of my mouth getting sore specifically from them. Well, they healed in a few days and I a while ago, I was eating more of them and sure enough, my tongue started hurting again. I looked it up and found that this is not a rare thing with sour candy having that affect. So I guess I need to kick my sour candy habit also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 07:07 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
It may be the WAY you eat/chew them, rather than the candy itself! If LOVE Wheat Thins...but if I go on a binge, I'll rub the inside of my cheek raw! Personally, I prefer those sweet/sour candies that come in a roll...(I can't remember the name right now, but folks give them at Halloween......damn!) but they will do the same thing...I'll get a raw spot in my mouth because I eat too many at one sitting!

Old 07-12-2015, 07:13 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
LOL, but it hurts so good!

Old 07-12-2015, 07:19 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
those sweet/sour candies that come in a roll...(I can't remember the name right now, but folks give them at Halloween......damn!
Smarties

I'm no stranger to food injuries. Yes, if you suck hard on the Sweetarts they can rub the tongue & roof of the mouth raw. Somehow they feel acidic too, burns right into the flesh.

Overdoing it on pineapples has a similar effect, akin to cold sores.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I remember cutting the corners of my mouth with potato chips when I was young. Those sores would take forever to heal because I would crack the scab whenever I opened my mouth.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 07-12-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 10:21 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Captain Crunch cereal can tear up your mouth pretty good. I learned to let is sit in the milk for a little bit to soften the sharp edges. I also gave myself canker sores eating too much pineapple once.

Choking and hot pizza cheese aside, there are a number of ways to injure onesself with food.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
I recently quit smoking and have picked up another vice--candy. I had some Sweettarts one day last week and didn't connect my tongue and roof of my mouth getting sore specifically from them. Well, they healed in a few days and I a while ago, I was eating more of them and sure enough, my tongue started hurting again. I looked it up and found that this is not a rare thing with sour candy having that affect. So I guess I need to kick my sour candy habit also.
I have the same thing happen from those striped mints - Starlight, I think? Both the peppermint and the spearmint. At first I thought it was the flavors themselves, but now I think it's mostly mechanical/friction. Hurts like heck! I found that Biotine mouthwash helps sooth the sore spots. And abstinence fixes it, but that's no fun! I wonder what other type of candy would work? There must be something. Chocolate maybe??

Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Citric acid. It gives me sores in my mouth if I eat too many Skittles, Sweetarts, or anything like that.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
...And abstinence fixes it, but that's no fun!...
I'd rather stop eating the mints.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:07 AM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Smarties

I'm no stranger to food injuries. Yes, if you suck hard on the Sweetarts they can rub the tongue & roof of the mouth raw. Somehow they feel acidic too, burns right into the flesh.

Overdoing it on pineapples has a similar effect, akin to cold sores.
Loooove those.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Captain Crunch cereal can tear up your mouth pretty good. I learned to let is sit in the milk for a little bit to soften the sharp edges. I also gave myself canker sores eating too much pineapple once.

Choking and hot pizza cheese aside, there are a number of ways to injure onesself with food.
I've said it a million times, Stouffer's French bread pizzas, for both the heat and the texture, will shreeeed your mouth if you're not extremely careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink