Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times

Advertisements

Welcome Tamale Lovers!

Would any of you like to share a Holiday Tamale Recipe? Or Tamale Pie? Photos (your results or informative/helpful photos) & links are welcome.

I looked online but it seems that the kind of recipe I'm looking for is rarely shared. I had some given to me a long time ago by a lady I cleaned house for. She put meat & raisins in them. I think they were chicken & raisins & perhaps other ingredients I can't possibly remember from over 15 years ago.

Personally, I'm not fond of the meatless variety that seem to be only sweetened masa & perhaps nothing else: I've mistakenly bought those from a streetside vendor.

Something really nice I found in my quest for Holiday Tamale recipes is this: gonnamakeachange.blogspot.com/2008/11/christm... It's about group of people who want to help other families celebrate their traditional Christmas with the ingredients for that celebration - which the families can't afford. Nice, eh? Even though I'm more into local charities, this was a neat project: I wonder if they'd share the "recipe"????

Please feel free to share your Tamale Recipes here, especially if they're designed for Holiday Feasts!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 PM

607 posts, read 1,333,758 times
Well, I don't have a recipe but I LOVE TAMALES! Perhaps with a good recipe I'll give it a try. Thanks for starting this thread, Sarahkate!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:21 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
I don't know that I've ever even had a tamale, but it seems to be a standard down here...I will have to give it a try, but would like a tried and true recipe too

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 AM

I'll get the ball rolling. At last, I've found SOME sites that have meat & raisin recipes! I'm not keen on green olives NOR pimientos, so I may forgo that part if I make these. Actually, I haven't tried them in a long time. Maybe it's time to taste them again...

Ecuadorean Ecuadorian Tamales De Navidad - for Christmas - 350763 - Recipezaar

I found an interesting Tamale Pie recipe as well. The site has this disclaimer! "Tamale pie is not remotely Mexican and only somewhat resembles the flavor of real tamales. But it does taste great, is budget friendly, and easily feeds a lot of people." Tamale Pie Recipe | Simply Recipes

Before it's ready: Out of the oven:

Here's a complicated Tamale Recipe: The Chronicle Pairing Guide: Christmas tamales from a Mission District chef

Here's a recipe without RAISINS but maybe they could be added? Make your own Christmas tamales « Around the World with CFCA

This Tamale Recipe with Raisins is under the heading: FAMILY CHICKEN TAMALES
For many, tamales are a delicious Christmas tradition.

I think when I finally get down to it, I'll make a tamale pie. I'm not a complicated recipe follower.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 AM

At this website, someone is quoted as saying that olives aren't always included. Yay. Holiday tamales as much about family as food - Holiday Guide- msnbc.com
“All over Mexico and different parts of Latin America there are different kinds,” says Dr. Raquel Rubio Goldsmith, of the Mexican American Studies and Research Center in Sonora, Arizona, and “dozens and dozens,” are made and exchanged over the holidays, with each family bringing their own traditions to the table­­ — their own family histories displayed through their food. As for holiday specialties, “some people put in raisins, some olives,’ she says, “It depends on the family.”

Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 AM

San Antonio Christmas Tamales
San Antonio's holiday tamales | csmonitor.com

The article states that cranberries can be subsituted for the raisins. No olives in this one!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I don't know that I've ever even had a tamale, but it seems to be a standard down here...I will have to give it a try, but would like a tried and true recipe too
Grannysroost:

Perhaps, if you give an idea of the area you live in, someone may make a recommendation for a trial taste at a restaurant!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Grannysroost:

Perhaps, if you give an idea of the area you live in, someone may make a recommendation for a trial taste at a restaurant!
Between Phoenix and Tucson, in Casa Grande, AZ...I would like to try to make these, but with the time involved would like an approved recipe from someone who knows the difference

Old 11-16-2009, 04:26 PM

This thread has 2 lard free recipes. The last poster says hers/his is tried & true with more spices added.

Where can I find a recipe for tamales without lard? Anyone here have one to share?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Here's my Mom's Tamale Pie recipe. She says she got the recipe "from some magazine after Dad got home from the war" (That's World War II for you youngsters )

No, it's not considered remotely Mexican now (it was back then), but it sure is cheap and comforting. And EASY

Mom's Tamale Pie
1 c cornmeal
2 c cold water
1 c corn
2 1/2 c tomato sauce ** see note
1 lb ground beef
1 bell pepper -- chopped, or to taste
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped onion
minced garlic -- to taste
4 ounces sliced black olives -- drained
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese -- or to taste

Mix cornmeal and water. Add corn and tomato sauce. Set aside. Fry up the next 6 ingredients. Drain. Add olives.
Mix everything together and bake for 30 minutes at 350. Stir. Top with cheddar cheese and bake for 10 to 20 minutes more.
** Note - Mom says she used tomato juice sometimes, and no one even noticed. Recipe is very forgiving. Add more or less of stuff you like. I add less bell pepper, more corn, and more chili powder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes