Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:54 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
I just went out and bought a jar of mayo... i like to mix it with ketchup for fries and its my secret ingredient for making AWESOME cakes (I went out to buy cupcake papers, as a matter of fact). I
I have a chocolate cake recipe that uses mayo instead of egg and fat. It is the most delicious, moist cake ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:55 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I wouldn't call it picky but I will always make sure my steak is cooked "blue" and often change the side orders from fries/potatoes to rice or vegetables for example and swap a sauce for another they might have on another dish.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Now days there are corporate consultants advising their chain restaurants on minutely measured "performance standards" of their wait staff (as if their job was not demanding enough). If ordering breakfast I make sure to ask for a large glass of water, and hot sauce if ordering an omelet, and ketchup if ordering home fries, when placing my order. It really screws up their tick, tick, tick computer monitored number of customers served if the have to come back over and over. I don't go to chain restaurants anymore if it's not for a group thing etc..

Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
I'm shocked that this seems to bother so many people.

Fries, mashed, or baked potatoes? Baked
Steak cooked? Medium rare
Drink? Whatever you have diet or low calorie
Vegetables? Sure, what are my choices

Burger? No mayo or ketchup, with mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, extra onion, pickle, and what are my choices in cheeses? Okay, add fill in the blank cheese.

If that's being picky then I guess I am just a picky broad, lol.

If I was a waitress and someone ever told me "I don't care" they would get serious eyerolls from me. Make a choice, for gosh sake.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I'm shocked that this seems to bother so many people.

Fries, mashed, or baked potatoes? Baked
Steak cooked? Medium rare
Drink? Whatever you have diet or low calorie
Vegetables? Sure, what are my choices

Burger? No mayo or ketchup, with mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, extra onion, pickle, and what are my choices in cheeses? Okay, add fill in the blank cheese.

If that's being picky then I guess I am just a picky broad, lol.

If I was a waitress and someone ever told me "I don't care" they would get serious eyerolls from me. Make a choice, for gosh sake.
I don't think someone who answers direct questions such as those above is a fussy orderer or is being perceived as one. I think it's those who make changes outside of the standard choices, who want their meal custom-cooked and who, in essence, are re-writing the recipes based on their own preferences rather than going somewhere that fixes things the way they prefer them (home, maybe?).

Or someone who foists their dietary preferences or political leanings on the chef when it's not on the menu.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:56 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't think someone who answers direct questions such as those above is a fussy orderer or is being perceived as one. I think it's those who make changes outside of the standard choices, who want their meal custom-cooked and who, in essence, are re-writing the recipes based on their own preferences rather than going somewhere that fixes things the way they prefer them (home, maybe?).

Or someone who foists their dietary preferences or political leanings on the chef when it's not on the menu.
Gotcha. But from reading some post I got the impression that having a choice or having the waitress list the options was a problem. Then the whole "pick it off" thing was kind odd to me, too. If I don't like something I will ask to have it removed.

My bad for the misunderstanding.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I'll pick things off rather than ask that they be left off if they will change the essence of the dish, but, then, I cook a lot.

And sometimes it's simply a matter of, I don't have a problem with the flavor that mushrooms bring to the dish as a whole, but I really don't like their texture, so I'll remove them and still get to enjoy the flavor.

I have no problem asking that something be left out if it's not going to be a problem for the chef, though. It would have to be a dish (such as a hamburger) that is "constructed", though, in order for that not to be being overly picky.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I don't get it.
I order whatever I want, the way I want it. Then I eat good, tip good, then everyone's happy

Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I usually try to keep any requests down to just one. But if they ASK how I want my steak cooked (which any good restaurant will), what kind of potatoes I want, etc... what is wrong with having a preference and answering them? They are probably more annoyed when you say "I don't care" because they don't want to have to decide for you.
I agree. I sometimes ask for dressing on the side, but that's about it. I do choose when asked, or better yet, I order my dinner with all the questions answered. I'd like the steak, medium rare, with garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and house salad, ranch on the side. Water to drink. Thank you.

If I were a waitress, "I don't care" or "Surprise me" would drive me mad.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Im not that fussy; i usually remove items than include other items, or ask for items on the side if possible. I dont mess with any dish at fancier restaurants because I trust the chef.

I hate fussy people at fast food joints who 1) make up their mind at the cash register 2) ask for substitutions for promotional items, like $.25 cheeseburgers at McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink