Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I hope you all had a great New Year, with many yummy things to eat.

I have an extra ham in my freezer and would like to make a couple of bean soups. The last two or three hams have been made into split pea soups, and I want to do something different. Both these recipes look good, I think there will be enough meat plus a little left over for snacking, and I like that only one requires a ham bone.

Ham and Bean Soup - All Recipes

Basic Ham and Bean Soup - All Recipes

(Yes, I love Allrecipes.)

I figured I could make both soups this weekend and freeze one or both of them. I don't know how to freeze something so big, though. I tried making a frozen punch once, the kind you freeze and make into a slush. Even with a double freezer bag, I made a huge mess because the weight of the liquid broke the seals. (NEVER doing that again!) I use a lot of disposable/reusable plastic containers ... do they come BIG? What should I do?

And will the beans get dry or pasty? They can absorb a lot of liquid. When I reheat the soup, maybe I should add some broth?

Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times
JJ-I swear by the zip lock containers-with the screw tops. They freeze beautifully and wash up great. When I see them 2/$5 I load up.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks, Lacey. I'll have to look for those. I'm kind of a cheapskate and have been buying generic containers, so I haven't looked closely enough at the newer Ziploc products. Can I buy containers to hold several cups of soup (a meal's worth)? I went to ziploc.com, but they only had a picture of the small size (one or two servings).

I do have Pyrex dishes with sealing lids, but I use those on a regular basis.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
I would not freeze it in one container. Definitely split it up into meals.
I find the best way to freeze 'liquidy' things is to double bag them in a freezer ziplock, lay flat on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen, remove the cookie sheet and they store much easier in the flat bags.

It is perfectly fine to add additional broth or other liquid after thawing and reheating!

I always make my spaghetti sauce in big batches and freeze this way.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times
JJ there are 2 sizes and I use both-the small are great for 1 serving and the larger enough for 2.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
I would use ziplock freezer bags rather than the small containers. I use the quart bags and like stacylee says freeze them first on a cookie sheet flattened out. don't over fill the bags. It is so much easier to thaw one bag at a time, and if you need two or three at once, the cost isn't significant. But frozen flat like that they can be stacked in the freezer easily and neatly.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
You should have no problems freezing bean soups. Just let them thaw out completely before cooking.

Personally, I like rigid platic containers when freezing soups over the bags.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,949 times
The bags and containers both work well. I have always liked to freeze things in small batches. By the way, the soup recipe with the Great Northern beans is delicious. I have made this for years. It was dinner Saturday and tonight. I'll freeze any smidgeon that's left!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks, everybody. I think the medium-sized Ziploc containers will work well. They won't hold a dinner's worth of soup, BUT I can thaw a smaller amount for lunch. Also, depending on the container size, maybe I can pop a couple soup blocks into a crock pot and thaw them on warm.

I did see some large, rectangular Rubbermaid containers, too. Those will stack nicely in my freezer, but the crock pot idea would be out. I'll see what's a decent price at Target or Meijer and stock up!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
I use the square quart containers. they are white/clear. I label the tops with masking tape so i know what is inside. I never put liquids in ziploc bags. (just not that confident). The containers work great for soups, chili, spaghetti sauce, etc. they are not expensive and seem to last quite a long time. I do a lot of batch cooking and the only things that don't freeze well are veggie soups with chunks of potatoes in them. or stew with potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink