Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,075 times

Advertisements

I am purchasing my first home soon and want to grab a grill before they're "off" season.

Charcoal or Gas and why?

Where do you store your charcoal? Can I dump a few bags in a rubbermaid storage tub and store in my storage room? Who uses starter fluid vs charcoal chimney?

Need as much info as possible,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Gas ... for convenience, especially if you like to "sear" foods over a very hot fire with the ceramic infra-red burners. Quick to heat up, easy to clean, and easy to put up when done.

OTOH ... charcoal seems better for "flavor" and slow roasting of larger items where they can be "smoked" a bit in the process. It's a bit messier, and takes longer to get a fire going. I use a couple of Weber kettles when we've got a bigger feed going on, and they're easy to manage the fire and control the heat. I use a charcoal chimney and an electric starter, or the chimney with a piece of newspaper crumpled in the bottom with some olive oil squirted on the paper. Usually have a very good bed of coal in 20 minutes, and I can save a lot of charcoal when finished cooking by closing the air vents on the kettle. The smaller coals also start up more easily on the next use to get a fire going sooner. But always a maintenance hog, with cleaning out the ashes and reassembling the kettle compared to high heat on the gas grill burning off the grill and the inside of the unit.

I wouldn't be without both as they're both useful and have their place .... but you should follow your priorities for the type of cooking vs convenience that you want to do.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,809,163 times
Charcoal gives your food a better flavor, but is not as easy to use as Gas. Thats the biggest difference. If you want to impress people use Charcoal, if you want the quick and easy grilling then use Gas.

Yes I know some gas grillers can make food taste just as good, but it takes time and skills. The gas grill is just more convenient in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 AM

6,807 posts, read 14,026,504 times
I have both at my house and the advice given here is spot on. Nothing beats the convenience of gas. If you want to grill a steak just turn on the grill and your done in less than 10 minutes. A charcoal grill gives the food a much better taste but it is also more labor intensive. I use a charcoal chimney because it is fairly fast and simple. Even with this method your looking at around 30 minutes to grill a simple steak, hamburger etc. You have to wait until the charcoals are hot before you can cook on them. I tend to use my gas grill during the week and only fire up the charcoal grill on the weekend when I have time to sit down and drink a margarita while the food is cooking. I would suggest you get the gas grill first since they are most expensive. You will save alot more money on a new gas grill than you will a charcoal grill. You can always buy a charcoal grill set up later if you find grilling is really your thing.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,180,148 times
I think it comes down to what do you like and what are you used to cooking with!
I have had both and I have a personal preference with the charcoal grill. If you are not an experienced person in that respect then for ease of use you may possibly want to go with the gas grill. I did that for a while and just realized I can get the same thing on the stove....big deal right!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
I have both, but like the flavor of the charcoal grill better, I use a chimney on the charcoal, you just cant get the taste of the starter fluid outta the charcoal, IMHO. I store the charcoal in a big plastic pickle bucket, the kind that has a really good seal, so ther charcoal doesnt absorb moisture.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM

37 posts, read 101,271 times
I like charcoal better, and the rubbermaid tub is a good idea for storage. I also use a chimney to start my coals. It doesn't take too long, usually ten minutes or so for them to be ready. I don't like the thought of chemicals on my grilled food, and I agree with kshe95girl, I think you can taste the lighter fluid.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I have both at my house and the advice given here is spot on. Nothing beats the convenience of gas. If you want to grill a steak just turn on the grill and your done in less than 10 minutes. A charcoal grill gives the food a much better taste but it is also more labor intensive. I use a charcoal chimney because it is fairly fast and simple. Even with this method your looking at around 30 minutes to grill a simple steak, hamburger etc. You have to wait until the charcoals are hot before you can cook on them. I tend to use my gas grill during the week and only fire up the charcoal grill on the weekend when I have time to sit down and drink a margarita while the food is cooking. I would suggest you get the gas grill first since they are most expensive. You will save alot more money on a new gas grill than you will a charcoal grill. You can always buy a charcoal grill set up later if you find grilling is really your thing.
I totally agree with Grainraiser. If you can get a good deal on a gas grill now, do it. You can always add an inexpensive charcoal grill later for weekend smoking or grilling.

We also have both and mainly use the gas grill for easy weeknight meals and the charcoal grill for weekends. I also use the charcoal chimney -it's fast and there is no smell of lighter fluid on the coals (or in your food). It's much more environmentally friendly too - lighter fluid is bad for the ozone layer.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,264 times
Go with the Gas now

Later I'd look at a Smoker/Grill combo

Old 09-09-2009, 03:58 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,004 times
i love charcoal because that's what i have but gas is so much quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink