Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:22 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times

Advertisements

I just purchased some hot dogs at the supermarket, and now I realize it is "uncured".
Anyone know what "uncured" means?, is this raw beef?, I am pretty sure ham, salami, bologna, etc are "cured". I have never seen anything "uncured" before, just now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 10:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
It's all cooked before it's packaged. It'd have to be if it's not marked otherwise. Does the package say "ready to eat"? Oscar Meyer have an uncured variety and they say that.

Well, they must be safe. I've eaten enough of them in my eggs over the last 10 years and I'm still alive to write about it, so there's that.

Last edited by Ttark; 06-18-2018 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2018, 11:06 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Is there meat in hot dogs?

The difference between cured and uncured is the fact that the uncured uses natural curing agents, such as celery powder, which transforms into nitrite when it is processed. Thus, uncured products have labels with: “No Nitrates or Nitrites added except those naturally in celery powder or juice."
Uncured hot dogs, like cured hot dogs, are fully cooked and should be prepared the same way.
Safe to eat. And much healthier.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
NITRATES
https://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate...to-fear-bacon/

FOOD ADDITIVES AND PRESERVATIVES
<<<>>>
There is a widely held belief that preservatives and additives are evil, wicked, mean and nasty. However, the bugs that they prevent are even more evil, wicked, mean and nasty.

Sodium Nitrate Can be a Good Thing in Sausage Making
"...There's a nasty bacteria called Clostridium Botulinum that causes botulism (a potent and deadly form of food poisoning). This bacteria lives best in temperatures between 40 and 140 degrees F. and likes moist, low oxygen conditions... like that found in curing sausages."

Nitrites prevent the growth of the botulism bacteria, and nitrites are made from the natural breakdown of either sodium or potassium nitrate.

Nitrites also give cured meat and sausage it's pink color and distinctive taste.

Our sausage making ancestors used saltpeter, a form of nitrate (sodium or potassium) to cure their meat. We now know that saltpeter is many times stronger than what is needed for a good cure. Don't use saltpeter when curing your sausage. We have much better alternatives...”

Old 06-19-2018, 04:38 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
nitrites/nitrates are now bad bad bad...… "processed" meats and remember the reported study a couple years ago if you eat 5lbs of more "processed" meats with nitrites/nitrates within a week ….for 5 years this will increase your chances of cancer by 17%

"uncured" has more of a "fresh" connotation...

the shelf life is of course diminished- I still eat processed meats I dont eat nearly 5 lbs within a week … so im all set

Old 06-19-2018, 06:06 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
So, I’m still confused. Which would be safer to give children?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:38 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, I’m still confused. Which would be safer to give children?
They are both safe.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Uncured is supposedly healthier but with a shorter shelf life. Both can be safely eaten by children.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
NITRATES
https://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate...to-fear-bacon/

FOOD ADDITIVES AND PRESERVATIVES
<<<>>>
There is a widely held belief that preservatives and additives are evil, wicked, mean and nasty. However, the bugs that they prevent are even more evil, wicked, mean and nasty.

Sodium Nitrate Can be a Good Thing in Sausage Making
"...There's a nasty bacteria called Clostridium Botulinum that causes botulism (a potent and deadly form of food poisoning). This bacteria lives best in temperatures between 40 and 140 degrees F. and likes moist, low oxygen conditions... like that found in curing sausages."

Nitrites prevent the growth of the botulism bacteria, and nitrites are made from the natural breakdown of either sodium or potassium nitrate.

Nitrites also give cured meat and sausage it's pink color and distinctive taste.

Our sausage making ancestors used saltpeter, a form of nitrate (sodium or potassium) to cure their meat. We now know that saltpeter is many times stronger than what is needed for a good cure. Don't use saltpeter when curing your sausage. We have much better alternatives...”
Exactly - unless you're eating cured meats every day, I'd have no qualms. Anything in the extreme can be bad - and that's why moderation is almost always best!

Old 06-19-2018, 08:29 AM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Thanks for your input !
The manufacturer needs to replace this "uncured" label to "organic", because we already know what "organic" food means.
"Uncured" gives the impression of not fully cooked or has raw beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink