Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

As pizza toppings go, locust must rank among the most exotic.

But locust is proving a surprise hit at a cafe in Australia.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Odd News :: Locusts make a top pizza

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Absolutely NOT. BLEC ~~

Old 05-25-2010, 06:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I wouldn't put a lot of things on my pizza that some american foodie-wannabe hippy californians think is cool. Like, artichoke. Eggplant. Potato, ground beef. Cheddar cheese (CHEDDAR? are you kidding me?). Avocado. Buffalo Chicken (seriously?)...

For me, there are only a very few choices that make Pizza, Pizza. There's the original margarita, with sliced tomatos, olive oil, pinch of basil, and grated parmasean. There's mozz. There's mozz and bacon. There's clam and garlic (I believe this is strictly a new england phenomenon but pizza comes from new england so it counts as authentic). There is thin crust, and there is cecilian. Everything else, including deep dish, is "something other than, but vaguely resembling, pizza."

Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
I'll eat a lot of "hippie Californian" stuff, including artichokes, all day long but I don't feel the need to eat locusts. Am I starving in the desert? Am I playing truth or dare? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
For me, there are only a very few choices that make Pizza, Pizza. There's the original margarita, with sliced tomatos, olive oil, pinch of basil, and grated parmasean. There's mozz. There's mozz and bacon. There's clam and garlic (I believe this is strictly a new england phenomenon but pizza comes from new england so it counts as authentic). There is thin crust, and there is cecilian. Everything else, including deep dish, is "something other than, but vaguely resembling, pizza."
Deep-dish pizza pie was invented in Chicago.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
No topping in my pizza other than fresh mozzarella, basil, tomato sauce (not from a jar) and parmesan cheese. This is pizza. On occasion, I would use mushrooms, but that is exceptional.

I went to Chicago once and tried the deep dish at a traditional restaurant there. Very, very good, but I always envisioned that as a "pie", not a "pizza". It was something good, I was willing to try, and I am glad I did.

But that is just me.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
I wouldn't put a lot of things on my pizza that some american foodie-wannabe hippy californians think is cool. Like, artichoke. Eggplant. Potato, ground beef. Cheddar cheese (CHEDDAR? are you kidding me?). Avocado. Buffalo Chicken (seriously?)...

It's sicilian, not cecilian. Just because a pizza has a modern twist to it doesn't mean it's not pizza, it's just a modern pizza, not an original pizza.

But I do not put any toppings on my pizza at all - except extra, extra cheese!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:

HUH? I didn't know the Greco/Roman empire originated from New England....

Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I really like Chicago deep dish. It isn't pizza though. And yes, pizza, in the United States comes from New England. It comes from the "greco-roman" immigrants who settled here and didn't have a lot of money, so they would make tomato pie, on flat, thin crust. The pizza first made in the United States, was made in New England.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
PA2UK, fantastic post.
I will stick to my pizza margherita. And calzone.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,197 times
Nope never ..thanks for asking though ..ugh locusts !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink