Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't know that it is an actual problem or just one that worries me since the first one was so bad. It works fine, just when I am mixing bread dough (which isn't too often), it sounds like the motor is struggling to move the dough - kind of a cycling sound. Maybe that's normal, I don't know....from everything I read, I just expected it to sound the same no matter what it was mixing....
Well, struggling to mix dough doesn't surprise me. You'll notice this more because of the gear reduction. They aren't as well made I'm quite sure as they used to be. The one we have is the crank type a bit more $ than the tilt type not sure may be more powerful. Still I'm sure they are the best going..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Oh! Maybe it's just normal then and I'm just overthinking it since I had a lemon on the first go-round? I hope so!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Oh! Maybe it's just normal then and I'm just overthinking it since I had a lemon on the first go-round? I hope so!
You can get a lemon in anything. But, I do think they are still pretty well made and generally hold up well. What I wouldn't do is use the power take off for sausage grinder or pasta attachments. You can get a cheaper machine for this and save your Kitchen Aid Motor.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
I think its a normal thing.....like I said, I've had mine a long time, and it still works great, we make bread ALL the time with it.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
My feeling is that the medium quality basics are all that's necessary. They are sometimes costly, but not necessarily. Some good knives do not need to cost $500. each, but maybe $50. A cheap coffee maker is as good as an expensive one. A decent set of pans is maybe another few hundred. Once you have that, you can make do. A Kitchenaid mixer and a decent food chopper is lovely, and you're good to go.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:46 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
"The" Kitchenaid mixer is something I have been wanting to buy for a very very long time... but what I really wanted was one of those "oldies but goodies" that one inherits from grandma...
Or finds on Ebay...

After learning how cheaply made the new ones are, I decided I'd settle for nothing less than one made while the company was owned by Hobart. I found one on Ebay back in 2001. Paid $200 plus a small shipping charge for it to be shipped from 60 miles away.

The only drawback is the hideous 1970 color, but I can live with that.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:27 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
The best meals I've ever eaten were cooked in some of the most modest kitchens using decades old cookware. My grandmother, mother, and all the Sicilian, Asian, and Mexican women I've known could cook their hearts out and they all used either decades old stuff or cheap stuff from the markets.

Me personally, I've had expensive professional cutlery in the past and it's nice. However, all of my cutting chores today are done with el cheapo $5 knives I pick up from the Asian markets. They are razor sharp, sharpen very easily when needed, and keep a nice edge. Not bad for a throw-away knife. They've lasted me years and still keep slicing.

Recently bought a $26 frying pan and it's one of the best pans I've ever cooked with. So my answer to your question--no, the high cost cookware and cutlery isn't worth it to me.

Apparently some of the best chef's in the world use cheap pans and knives as well.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:38 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,961 times
Does anyone else own a rice cooker, I find it to be a really handy gadget.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
I did, and it lasted about 7 years. I like Japanese food, and cook it often, especially donburi.

So, it was worth the cost and the rice was always perfect. And it is ridiculously easy to use.

Not all brands are the same, though.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
My mother gave me her rice cooker when I moved out and she bought herself a new one. I think we had this one since I was little - so it's probably about 20-30 years old now. Still works great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink