Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 AM

546 posts, read 1,499,389 times

Advertisements

Ok So I checked the Automotive threads and didnt find much regarding the new explorer or as i jokingly call them "Exploders" (a few people will catch this reference). I currently have an 09 Escape and love the vehicle but want to upgrade to the new Explorer its redesign appeals to me and the standard 3rd row seating does as well. I test drove the 2011 model when it first came out this was before the new Ecoboost motor. I wasnt all that impressed with its passing and acceleration capabilities in the V6. Im guessing it would take more than a 45 min test drive for me to truly know how this motor acts and what kind of fuel economy is really gained from this vehicle. SO im looking for some info from owners of this vehicle. If you have the 2011 or 2012 what are your pros and cons for the vehicle? What kind of fuel economy do you get city and hwy? Is it worth the price? (seems a lot more expensive than my 03 explorer xlt that i paid 17k for with only 3k miles on it) How do you feel about your MYTouch and Sync?

I read motortrends review of this vehicle and they chewed it up and spit it out as a heavy overpriced slow crossover wannabe. Ive also looked at several youtube reviews and its mixed.

Moderator cut: see comment So please tell me what you think of this vehicle?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-30-2011 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: Moved from the SA Forum - Automotive IS the correct forum for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 09:25 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Don't have one but have not heard a good review of it yet.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
...they chewed it up and spit it out as a heavy overpriced slow crossover wannabe.

So please tell me what you think of this vehicle?
The one fault of Ford (in recent vintage) is fixing things that aren't broken and eliminating models altogether that work well... then replacing them with new ideas that need time to get sorted out.

The axiom of not buying a new model/design the first year from any company is especially sound advice with Ford.

hth

Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I've driven the new Explorer. They're a nice vehicle but grossly over priced. I assume that's why you don't see many on the roads. I would suggest to avoid the Eco-Bust like the plague. In the F150 platform they are having some wild issues with some of the dumbest things that you'd figure would have been worked out in the testing they do before releasing new technology. The EB is a borrowed concept from GM direct injection engines. GM and other car makers have been having major issues with their direct injection engines, primarily the carbon buildup in the intake system. Cooper now recommends their engine intakes be cleaned every 10,000 miles at owners expense- right at a grand to do. BMW has issued a no sale on their direct injection engines. This is a design flaw in ANY direct injection engine. Ford and GM think they have solved the carbon issue with a closed valve injection event- it's not working. Fuel injector cleaners are worthless as the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber and never sees the valves or intake where valve overlap causes the carbon buildup. If spending about a grand every 30,000 miles doesn't bother you, have at it. BG has found that the EB will need to be cleaned about that often or expect major performance issues. The non-EB 3.5 V6 is a dandy engine and provides good power in the Explorer but as new, it will seem a little low on power. Ford puts their vehicles together tight and they have to break in. Fuel mileages will go from lousy when new to good once you have about 12-15,000 miles on the speedo. The Explorer is a nice looking vehicle and has a lot of neat technologies inside but the price tag, oh the price tag!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
I'm not a ford fan.

but this statement is

Injectors get dirty and get carbon/soot build up, so does the tops of pistons this "injector" cleaner will work to clean them.

You don't need to use it very often as most top tire gas has additives that will keep them clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Fuel injector cleaners are worthless as the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber and never sees the valves or intake where valve overlap causes the carbon buildup.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:10 AM

221 posts, read 597,614 times
It's a Taurus station-wagon.

So now Ford has a big, boxy crossover (Flex), a smaller-though-still fat-looking crossover (Edge), and a crossover that might attract some people who kinda have a dim memory of some half-assed pretentions to ruggedness still somewhat present in the formerly popular SUV's, but is really no more than a Taurus station wagon.

Oh, and they're redesigning the Escape so it too looks like a kinda pudgy station wagon.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
Motor Trend ripped the new Explorer, one of the most critical reviews I've seen from them.
2012 Ford Explorer EcoBoost - First Test - YouTube

Take it for what it's worth.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
It's a Taurus station-wagon.

So now Ford has a big, boxy crossover (Flex), a smaller-though-still fat-looking crossover (Edge), and a crossover that might attract some people who kinda have a dim memory of some half-assed pretentions to ruggedness still somewhat present in the formerly popular SUV's, but is really no more than a Taurus station wagon.

Oh, and they're redesigning the Escape so it too looks like a kinda pudgy station wagon.
About what I thought of Toyota after they followed GM with the need to make an SUV for every segment imaginable...

As if Ford making the Aviator to answer a question nobody EVAR asked about Lincoln ("When can we get an Exploder clone that you can turn into an Escape clone...huhuhuh?" wasn't bad enough, let's pull two cylinders from the Exploder and make it unibody and drop a $40k MSRP on it, too.

Brilliant.

On that note, I am trying to "retire" my F150 SuperCab to work duties (still full of life, just want a second ride) and a 5.0L AWD Exploder was a thought...not one of the newer ones (02-later) that looks like it is 98% of an Expedition, so why bother looking. Might try a Heritage-era SuperCrew instead.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM

221 posts, read 597,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
About what I thought of Toyota after they followed GM with the need to make an SUV for every segment imaginable...

I remember some interview with a GM exec back in the late 90's where he revealed that in the future he foresaw that basically everyone will drive crossovers and so "crossover" was the answer to any product-related question. Screw ordinary cars! Crossovers are where it's at! Like a station wagon but without the handling and mileage, and much heavier! Impress your friends with your rugged image! Yeah.

Well, they did go bankrupt. So, some justice. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

On that note, I am trying to "retire" my F150 SuperCab to work duties (still full of life, just want a second ride) and a 5.0L AWD Exploder was a thought...not one of the newer ones (02-later) that looks like it is 98% of an Expedition, so why bother looking. Might try a Heritage-era SuperCrew instead.
Sounds like you actually use a truck for something besides commuting. If so, good on ye. I have used every SUV I've owned for either sport or utility, even if I got dents on the bashplates and the leather scratched up. My lifestyle changed and so now I drive a small sedan.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I've driven the new Explorer. They're a nice vehicle but grossly over priced. I assume that's why you don't see many on the roads. I would suggest to avoid the Eco-Bust like the plague. In the F150 platform they are having some wild issues with some of the dumbest things that you'd figure would have been worked out in the testing they do before releasing new technology. The EB is a borrowed concept from GM direct injection engines. GM and other car makers have been having major issues with their direct injection engines, primarily the carbon buildup in the intake system. Cooper now recommends their engine intakes be cleaned every 10,000 miles at owners expense- right at a grand to do. BMW has issued a no sale on their direct injection engines. This is a design flaw in ANY direct injection engine. Ford and GM think they have solved the carbon issue with a closed valve injection event- it's not working. Fuel injector cleaners are worthless as the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber and never sees the valves or intake where valve overlap causes the carbon buildup. If spending about a grand every 30,000 miles doesn't bother you, have at it. BG has found that the EB will need to be cleaned about that often or expect major performance issues. The non-EB 3.5 V6 is a dandy engine and provides good power in the Explorer but as new, it will seem a little low on power. Ford puts their vehicles together tight and they have to break in. Fuel mileages will go from lousy when new to good once you have about 12-15,000 miles on the speedo. The Explorer is a nice looking vehicle and has a lot of neat technologies inside but the price tag, oh the price tag!
My BMW dealership does the valve cleaning at $275, FWIW. I think every 10,000 miles is overkill, if that's really what MINI is suggesting - they have a serious issue. I had a direct injection VW and it only started to rough idle at 55,000 miles. A shot of Seafoam into the vacuum line and it ran perfectly smooth. Total cost: $11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln