Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times

Advertisements

After high quality ratings in recent years, Ford has dropped sharply in this year’s Consumer Reports reliability survey because of problems with new models and new technologies.

Ford Slammed in New Consumer Reports Reliability Survey - CBS MoneyWatch.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 42,397 times
Way to go Chrysler, Jeep is the most reliable domestic brand now. They deserve a pat on the back for that.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
And you were expecting what from the rice wine drunken engineers(LOL!) from CR? Several of the world noted automotive research firms have asked the same question in regards to CRs credibility. Seems the only place they have any following are from the folks stupid enough to subscribe to their rags.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipper View Post
Way to go Chrysler, Jeep is the most reliable domestic brand now. They deserve a pat on the back for that.
Even more amazing is that the Chrysler 200 scored "well above average" in reliability. Considering that the 200 used to be the Sebring, which everybody hated, maybe Chrysler didn't put lipstick on a pig, but instead, gave Cinderella some better clothes.

As for Ford, I bet most of the problems they've had are because of their MyTouch system.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
As for Ford, I bet most of the problems they've had are because of their MyTouch system.
That's my understanding of it.

Mike

Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
The new Ford Fusion rated well though, especially the hybrid. Seems like the new-model Explorer, Fiesta and Focus was what pulled down the score for Ford.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Ford lost ground in this "study" and they also lost a lot of ground in the JD Powers one as well. The thing that bothers me with these is that at least in the case of Ford, the bulk of the negative results are tied to the MyTouch system and have absolutely nothing to do with the vehicles mechanicals. The only mechanical complaint against Ford is the transmission in the Fiesta and Focus, which again isn't a failure issue, just a complaint issue over the way it operates.

If anything these studies are generally biased towards companies that keep virtually the same mechanicals for a long time, produce a good quality interior and don't package anything that is leading edge in terms of electronics. Companies also take big lumps whenever they release new products as people always complain about something.

I really wish they would rate categories differently in all of the surveys. Someone complaining about the tactile feel of the HVAC controls is weighted just as heavily as someone reporting a blown engine. They do track things this way, the only problem is the data is only sold to the manufacturers themselves. When the latest JD Power hit, there were quite a few articles discussing how Ford plummeted in the rankings basically do to MyTouch, though if you just looked at it on face value you would assume Ford had a massive quality fall off.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
A good friend bought a new Fiesta a few months ago. Almost immediately something in the steering started clunking.

First they told her it was her imagination. And sure enough, a while later it quit clunking...unfortunately it also quit steering.

A "steering shaft" has been on order for over a month now....they must be busy down in Mexico.

Yep, the "most reliable new cars on the planet"...isn't that what the commercials say?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Ford lost ground in this "study" and they also lost a lot of ground in the JD Powers one as well. The thing that bothers me with these is that at least in the case of Ford, the bulk of the negative results are tied to the MyTouch system and have absolutely nothing to do with the vehicles mechanicals. The only mechanical complaint against Ford is the transmission in the Fiesta and Focus, which again isn't a failure issue, just a complaint issue over the way it operates.

If anything these studies are generally biased towards companies that keep virtually the same mechanicals for a long time, produce a good quality interior and don't package anything that is leading edge in terms of electronics. Companies also take big lumps whenever they release new products as people always complain about something.

I really wish they would rate categories differently in all of the surveys. Someone complaining about the tactile feel of the HVAC controls is weighted just as heavily as someone reporting a blown engine. They do track things this way, the only problem is the data is only sold to the manufacturers themselves. When the latest JD Power hit, there were quite a few articles discussing how Ford plummeted in the rankings basically do to MyTouch, though if you just looked at it on face value you would assume Ford had a massive quality fall off.
I agree. The media is just as stupid as the average person. People don't investigate the reasoning behind the drop. They see drop and instantly think oh they're junk now.

And I'm not even a Ford fan but I have a lot of heartburn when it comes to polls, stats, ratings and how they're interpreted.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
I immediately thought "My Ford Touch" is probably a big reason for the drop, read the article and had it confirmed. All the auto reviews I have read about the system have ranged from overly complicated to "buggy". Same thing with the manu-matic trans in the Focus, not very pleasant to drive.
And the CR results are based on survey of actual owners and separate problems based on different components, like engine, drivetrain etc. Based on cars I have owned, and friends have owned, their data is pretty accurate at reflecting real life ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln