Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times

Advertisements

I have a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC with 166,xxx miles, I take good care of it, and have been having fun modding the engine. Here is my problem when driving onto on ramps, doing about 35-45, I notice that when I come out of the turn and accelerate to get up to speed, more often than not the rpm's will drop to around 1,000-1200, it starts chugging a little and there is no power for about five or six seconds, some times to the point of almost stalling. The weird part is that I can't get to do that on any other driving situations, I even took it on a road coarse and had no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
My guess would be transmission. Either a slipping torque converter or a slow/sticky valve in the transmission.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM

If it was the transmission wouldn't the rpm's be jumping. I think this is engine because the rpm's drop and there is no/ little response from the engine

Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
If it was the transmission wouldn't the rpm's be jumping. I think this is engine because the rpm's drop and there is no/ little response from the engine
It depends. Sometimes it can cause hesitation to the point of stalling as well. However, you are talking about a very specific time when it does it, I imagine you would have a similar issue flooring it no matter the circumstance if it was the transmission.

What happens if you let off and then suddenly floor it driving down the road at 35-45? I would expect the same thing.

If not, than it's a really odd issue and I'm not sure what to tell you. If it was engine, you would think it would be easily replicatable. If you think it's engine, I would be looking at spark and fuel delivery.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Sounds like fuel sloshing away from the pickup. Does it do it on a full tank? Can you replicate the stalling around turns? What about straight, steep hills? If you haven't been able to replicate it I assume this is a relatively new problem... keep driving, observe all of the variables that come into play.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM

I can only get it to do it on on-ramps. I tried to get it to do it on a race track and nothing happened....fuel pump is a year old.....i wonder if it could be that

Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
I'd sell it while you still can, the costs on some parts for those cars are astronomical.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Sounds like a fuel starvation problem ...

which could be caused by a fuel pump pick-up out of position

or a wiring harness that is being stressed when the car is on the ramp, hence causing a lack of signal to a component or power supply interruption

perhaps a test drive with a diagnostic scope, such as an older Snap-On Counselor, which can be kept in the car and observed while driving ... to verify the real-time electronic controls of the car's computer system. What you need is an observer to monitor the engine control functions as you drive the car to replicate the failure mode. 5-6 seconds of poor performance should be long enough to show an abnormality of some sort on the scope.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Or you could connect a good high quality fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line schrader valve and run the gauge between the cowl and hood, making sure the hose is routed so it won't touch anything hot. Lay it flat on the windshield and hold the gauge in place with a piece of duct tape. The hood should still shut.

Drive it around and observe the gauge through the windshield noting the pressure at idle, acceleration, stopping etc. Then go find your favorite ramp and try to make it act up. If it does, you should be able to see if losing fuel pressure is the problem.

I've driven customers cars that way for up to three days to confirm a fuel delivery problem.

Another remote possibility is a partially clogged exhaust system. A baffle in the muffler or maybe even the converters. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln