Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,354,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
As mentioned before, the police seem to prefer the Crown Vic. Regarding police activities and duties, the Crown Vic is not "dated" at all.
Most Police haven't even tried the Caprice, so if they disregard it, they have no idea what they're talking about.

And compared to a well specced Caprice, the Crown Vic most certainly is, especially when it comes to the safety and well being of the the LEO's who use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Most Police haven't even tried the Caprice, so if they disregard it, they have no idea what they're talking about.
How do you know that? Have you contacted numerous police departments?

Quote:
And compared to a well specced Caprice, the Crown Vic most certainly is, especially when it comes to the safety and well being of the the LEO's who use it.
You wouldn't really know that unless you either driven both or read thorough road tests of both.
And safety? The Crown Vic, along with the Lincoln Town Car, is one of the safest cars available.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 PM

21,786 posts, read 28,147,687 times
Quote:
And safety? The Crown Vic, along with the Lincoln Town Car, is one of the safest cars available.
O rly?

IIHS-HLDI: Ford Crown Victoria

"Marginal" side impact ratings are hardly safe enough. And previous years were even worse.

Comparatively, the new Taurus does much better:

IIHS-HLDI: Ford Taurus

Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
O rly?

"Marginal" side impact ratings are hardly safe enough. And previous years were even worse.

I also mentioned the Lincoln Town Car which is a very safe car. And, IIRC, the first car to receive 5 stars in safety for each category.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
How do you know that? Have you contacted numerous police departments?

You wouldn't really know that unless you either driven both or read thorough road tests of both.
I'm baying my first statement off the fact that LAPD recently got the caprice for testing, as the first in the country, according to the story, other precincts are waiting for their report.

A far as safety goes: a) it's an old platform, crash tech had moved light years since then. B) The better specced, if not all, caprice model comes with the computer built in to the savoyard, removing the metal frame holding and the laptop sporting on top of it. This was one of the major players when it comes to injuries to LEOs in other police cars, when they crash.

And yes, I have read road tests on both, and seen test videos, the caprice is very clearly the better vehicle.

Why are you so wealthy at keeping police officers in old cars that can't keep up with the times?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I'm baying my first statement off the fact that LAPD recently got the caprice for testing, as the first in the country, according to the story, other precincts are waiting for their report.

A far as safety goes: a) it's an old platform, crash tech had moved light years since then. B) The better specced, if not all, caprice model comes with the computer built in to the savoyard, removing the metal frame holding and the laptop sporting on top of it. This was one of the major players when it comes to injuries to LEOs in other police cars, when they crash.

And yes, I have read road tests on both, and seen test videos, the caprice is very clearly the better vehicle.

Why are you so wealthy at keeping police officers in old cars that can't keep up with the times?
I'm basing my statements on the fact that some police officers prefer the Crown Vic... more comfortable seats and more trunk space. Also, the body-on-frame chassis is more rugged.

The (Lincoln) Town Car has five stars for each safety category... can't improve on that!

I don't know if the Caprice is the "better" vehicle... it depends on what "better" means. I do know that, going by the police officers themselves, the Crown Vic is the preferred vehicle.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:43 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,910,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
O rly?

I'll agree. In certain crashes the CV is a fine place to be, in others, not so much. In the real world, the CV/GM/TC often fares well because of its weight advantage over most other passenger cars. The laws of physics are difficult to break.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:39 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,734,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
If you do a side by side comparison with the Vic and many other modern cars, the differences are significant. The Vic for a time was a reasonable car, but things have moved on quite a bit.

I've been in plenty of old cars and I don't have nostalgia for cars that took a couple of football fields to stop or didn't have decent safety features such as 3 point seat belts. It's interesting to have some survivors around for historical purposes, but otherwise...

It's like putting up a 48K 1981 Atari 800 to a 2011 Dell laptop with 8 million K of memory. No contest.
it's nothing like that. Computer technology has moved forward at lightning speed, unencumbered by the regulatory wrecking ball that ended the greatest automotive era.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,734,157 times
Quote:

Keep up with the times?

I hate to be the one to bring the bad news, but these are not good times....in so many ways....not the least of which is the current automotive state of affairs. The automotive good times were 40 - 60 years ago when the dinosaurs roamed our highways and nobody browbeat us into feeling the slightest bit guilty about it.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I'm basing my statements on the fact that some police officers prefer the Crown Vic... more comfortable seats and more trunk space. Also, the body-on-frame chassis is more rugged.

The (Lincoln) Town Car has five stars for each safety category... can't improve on that!

I don't know if the Caprice is the "better" vehicle... it depends on what "better" means. I do know that, going by the police officers themselves, the Crown Vic is the preferred vehicle.
Well for one, you actually can improve in a 5 star safety rating. Euro NCAP (I don't know if the US rating agency has done the same), seriously increased the requirements to gain a 5 star rating in their crash tests, because cars had gotten so safe that most of them passed with a 5 or at least a 4 star rating, so essentially: A car that gets a 5 star rating in Europe today will be significantly better in a crash than one that got a 5 star rating just 5-10 years ago.

So it's absolutely possible to improve on a 5 star rating. If you think crash safety technology peaked with the Lincoln Town Car, then frankly, you're mistaken.

Better means it's better for Police use, it has ergonomically better seats (yes it does have room cut out for the belts, guns holsters etc), it's far safer for the cop in the passenger seat, and safer for both police officers in a crash, due to modern safety equipment, it's faster, more efficient, better and more intuitive gear placement and better wiring for instance, for the tech who have to maintain it.

Again, saying that the Crown Vic is better because "some police officers prefer the Crown Vic" doesn't really say anything about the two cars, especially since you claimed anyone would've had to read thorough tests of both to make a judgment call. Have you actually read or seen tests of both vehicles?

"Some" police officers prefer the Crown Vic because they compare it to the little Impala and/or the old Charger, not based on a comparison with a vehicle that hasn't been made widely available to the officers yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Keep up with the times?

I hate to be the one to bring the bad news, but these are not good times....in so many ways....not the least of which is the current automotive state of affairs. The automotive good times were 40 - 60 years ago when the dinosaurs roamed our highways and nobody browbeat us into feeling the slightest bit guilty about it.
That might very well be your opinion, I prefer the cars of today, which are infinitely safer, faster, more reliable and do all of that using much less fuel.

Oh, and I've never felt guilty for driving anything, if you do, that's something you have to answer for. And if you think the police cars of 60 years ago would do well today, by all means, try and talk a precinct into buying a fleet of them.

Last edited by TheViking85; 09-21-2011 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln