Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 02:53 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,384 times

Advertisements

These cylinder heads are made by Trick Flow Specialties, and I think they are ported by Total Engine Airflow, and the discription says it fits 1963-1995 ford windsor small blocks. Will it fit your standard pushrod single cam 302 engine. If so which head would you recommend for a bored ford 306 engine with an anderson n-91 camshaft?

Heres the link
Total Engine Airflow | CNC Ported Cylinder Heads | Ford - 289/302/351W | CNC Head Porting Ohio | CNC Porting | CNC Cylinder Heads | Cylinder Head Engine | CNC Ported | Custom Cylinder Head | Ohio | :: Total Engine Airflow ::

Here's a picture of the head.

Any information or suggestions are welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Call the vendor and tell them your engine specs and cam grind and let them recommend the proper head. Anybody who gives you advise here will be blowing smoke.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 PM

886 posts, read 5,715,183 times
They will fit. But the thing with trick flow is you almost have to run their intake.

For the price I would look at as set of AFR heads.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
They will fit. But the thing with trick flow is you almost have to run their intake.

For the price I would look at as set of AFR heads.
Thank you so much. I think their that expensive because they were professionally ported. Plus the dude who ports them is a "Master Porter".
Some guy on youtube dynoed his 306 motor with ported Trick Flow heads with an anderson n-91 cam @384HP........to the wheels. His compression ratio was 12.25:1.
Also what does it mean to run an intake?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
If running the motor with fuel injected, both upper and lower intake manifolds would be aftermarket...If running a carbureted engined be running an aftermarket "trickflow" manufactured intake manifold...Do you plan on doing these modifications yourself? If so, I'd recommend some study up before making the purchase, "running an intake" is about the most basic mod done to old carbed engines to elicit a little more horsepower, or at minimum a broader and more pronounced torque and horsepower curve.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Thank you so much. I think their that expensive because they were professionally ported. Plus the dude who ports them is a "Master Porter".
Some guy on youtube dynoed his 306 motor with ported Trick Flow heads with an anderson n-91 cam @384HP........to the wheels. His compression ratio was 12.25:1.
Also what does it mean to run an intake?
{disclaimer: its been about 7 years since I seriously played in the 5.0 world}

TF heads are good heads...in and of themselves. But....

What's your intended use for the engine?

TF heads sometimes need the pistons flycut, at least they did sometimes in years past. Depends on the cam specs. You need to check that out. IIRC they also needed specific headers because of the location of the exhaust ports. Again, my memory isn't super sharp on that anymore but you need to confirm that one way or another.

If you are running this in a street engine, you aren't going to be anywhere near 12.25:1 CR, so disregard all perf figure relating to that number.

What's your transmission? Rear gear?

In sum, you haven't begun to give the details necessary for a realistic assessment of the suitability of these heads for your application.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I agree with calling the manufacturer and discussing your application with them. Also, this forum is great for general car talk, but something that specific is much better asked on a dedicated Mustang board like StangNet or The Corral. You would get much more direct and applicable technical answers from people who most likely actually have these heads on their setups.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
any head that fits the 302/5.0 block will also fit the 221/260/289/351w. in fact most heads for the small block fords are designed with 1/2 head bolt holes to fit the 351w, so often times you have to get a set of bead bolt washers, or head bolts themselves, that have the right shoulder on them to prevent the head from moving around a lot on engines with the 7/16" head bolts.

that said, you need to make sure the head ports are not too large for what you want from the engine. for instance, if you were building a 393w, professionally ported heads make sense. however those heads may be too much for a mild build street 302.

in the end it is all about the combination, match the heads to the cam, intake, and exhaust and you will end up with a strong engine where you want and need the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln