Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 PM

653 posts, read 1,785,845 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks very much for the responses on my Subaru question a few weeks back. I haven't totally discounted that yet, but I've come across another vehicle that I like alot and I'm now strongly considering, and that is a Ford Flex.

I'm looking at a used 2010 or 2011, probably up to 35K miles. I have a dealership already close to where I live in central OK. that has access to a few of them. So, my questions are how reliable are they? Are they worth the price? What about safety ratings? I'm interested also in towing capabilities. We have a 2 horse trailer which I believe is approximately 2K pounds, throw in two horses, add another 1700 pounds, would a Ford Flex be able to tow that? What about driving and handling in snow and ice? I read that it's 2 wheel drive (or front wheel drive?). The few people I've talked to love their Ford Flex, what say you on this? I'm also thinking about a Ford Edge or maybe even an Explorer; same year and miles, but so far am leaning on the Flex. Any info from those who have personal experience with this vehicle or know someone who does would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Let me know if you get a Flex... I REALLY want to do one up with a Casket Body Wrap. Big Bouqet of flowers on TOP and an image of Grandpa Munster on the hood!! Handles on the sides!

I'm looking for a total to rebuild and do this to advertise Co-op Funeral Homes ($<1000)

I have a few friends / retirees with Flexes who really like them (ez in and out + good visibility)

They won't let me Wrap theirs...

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
My dad has a loaded 2010 with ecoboost. We all love it. It is incredibly comfortable, especially for taller folk. It handles well (his is AWD) and man, can it move! Mileage is right around 20 mixed. As for towing, I would check the ford website for specs, but two horses and a trailer seems like you may be pushing it. It has the power, but that's only part of the equation. I have used his to tow two motorcycles on a lightweight aluminum trailer and it had no issues, but that's probably quite a bit lighter.

Reliability has not been an issue after 40k miles, and my dad is not known to be particularly gentle on his vehicles. It's on its second set of tires, but that's it.

Mike

Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
interested in the Flex
how many people can you fit into your dad's car?
would it work to use for long road trips where you needed to take pets in carriers?

what is noise level inside?
we are looking for car to use for trips back/forth from DFW TX area to vacation home in FL and need to transport pets

Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
In regards to towing your trailer, the short answer-no. The Flex when properly equipped can tow up to 4500lbs which is about the weight you're talking about. But finding one with the Class III tow package is going to be a problem for a used vehicle. If you can find one with the tow package, they are a good platform.
http://www.ford.com/assets/pdf/towin...vFLEXsep09.pdf

FWIW, when looking for a used Flex, look for the VIN code K6 in the 5th and 6th position of the VIN. That's the Class III code. A K5 is not equipped with it and is the standard platform. It will also come with an oil cooler mounted just above the oil filter and a second fuse box under the hood for the towing goodies.

Last edited by TrapperL; 07-13-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM

how easy do these go around corners
I know that sounds stupid but it is just a long wheelbase that it seems it would have a bad turning radius and might make some turns a little difficult

there are could of used ones in dealers around us--dfw tx--so we might make a trial run
I did not realize they were still making this model--thought they stopped

Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
interested in the Flex
how many people can you fit into your dad's car?
would it work to use for long road trips where you needed to take pets in carriers?

what is noise level inside?
we are looking for car to use for trips back/forth from DFW TX area to vacation home in FL and need to transport pets
Max seating depends on which configuration you order. His has the bucket seats (captain's chairs) in the middle row (center console is a mini fridge), so max is 6 comfortably. If you got the regular bench for the middle row, it goes up to 7.

Noise level is non-existent save for the slightly noisier tread on the tires he replaced the originals with. Long trips? This thing eats up freeway miles with comfort and ease for all parties. How much room? I'm 6'7". My dad is 6'5". I can sit behind him without him having to make a single adjustment to his seat, and that's without my knees in his back.

Rear cargo room is very good if you flip down the back row. A kennel would fit no problem. With the 3rd row up, though, not possible unless it's a small animal.

Handling is unreal. I grew up driving Suburbans and full-size pick-ups (still do), so when I say it truly does drive like a car, I'm not kidding. Parking is pretty easy, turning radius is good, and overall handling is phenomenal with the AWD. I wouldn't describe it as 'flickable', but it's planted to the road and has excellent feedback. You'd almost call it sporty, but I wouldn't want to give the impression that it's harsh by any means.

Mike

Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
I went on a 400 mile trip (one way) in a Flex a couple of years back sitting in the middle row seat part of the time, front passenger seat for about 100 miles and drove it for another 100. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It was a Limited model and loaded. There were 4 of us with luggage and I was the second smallest at 6'0" 210 lbs. It handled extremely well, had more than enough power and was very comfortable. I liked it so much that I almost bought one. I took my wife to the dealer to test drive one but she felt it was a little big for her liking (odd, because she drives my F-150 extended cab all the time and loves it), she's only 5'2". I wound up buying an Edge instead and don't regret it either. The only thing I can say is some people don't like the style of the Flex, I happen to like it.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM

I am concerned about the turning ratio--for going around corners or making turns in parking lots with tight spacing
I haven't driven one but there is local dealership with 1 new one on lot and couple of newer used models with lower mileage
my husband thinks a Sienna is the way to go but it would mainly be my car
we just need a car for making long trips to FL with pets so we need more convenient arrangement than his Tahoe

Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 AM

Well, keep in mind the Flex is built off the same chassis as the Taurus (maybe slightly elongated), so it's pretty well-mannered in the parking lots. I don't find it overly difficult; it definitely slots in right between my 09 xB and my pick-up in terms of ease of parking. The back-up camera also comes in really handy

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln