Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
100% yeah.........

But to be fair I will give you a stereotype breakdown:

90% old people (It's got a V8, seats 6, full size trunk w/full size spare mentality)
3% cheap beater car (used cabs, beat cop cars)
5% "bubbletop donk"
2% cop wannabe- Its got cop tires, cop motor, cop shocks and runs good on unleaded gas!
What is full sized spare mentality? I consider a full sized spare a bonus; especially after seeing too many driving around on 2-3 donut sized spares while dodging around at highway speeds. That mentality is downright scary and insane at the same time.

Ever see a full sized truck on a donut spare? A CV is basically the same principle as it has a real frame and weighs almost 2 tons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 12:29 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I agree; it feels disconnected. Imagine R&P in a full sized PU truck.
Yep.

And yet for 2003 Ford felt compelled to throw a bone to the clueless crowd in an effort to quell to relentless calls for "updating" of the Panther platform. And, of course, it ruined the rock-stable straight and true tracking that had been taken for granted in quality RWD body-on-frame American cars for decades. The fact that Panthers were not "updated" for years was their best feature, because they were the pinnacle of comfort, quiet, and ride smoothness. It has been all downhill from there.

I guess, though, I should credit Ford for staying in the real car business far longer than its American competition. GM, with its great history, was all but gone by 1990.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:40 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yep.

And yet for 2003 Ford felt compelled to throw a bone to the clueless crowd in an effort to quell to relentless calls for "updating" of the Panther platform. And, of course, it ruined the rock-stable straight and true tracking that had been taken for granted in quality RWD body-on-frame American cars for decades. The fact that Panthers were not "updated" for years was their best feature, because they were the pinnacle of comfort, quiet, and ride smoothness. It has been all downhill from there.

I guess, though, I should credit Ford for staying in the real car business far longer than its American competition. GM, with its great history, was all but gone by 1990.
Keep in mind a lot of the changes to the Panther program were forced upon Ford via the government's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS.) Those cars and that platform couldn't live forever with many of the changes they needed. Things like the roof crush standards, front/rear/side collision, etc, would have required a complete tearup and redesign and it wasn't worth it.

Although many of you on here love the car, and that's great, as time went on they were poor sellers and it was time for them to go. The large car segment is still struggling as people have moved down to "midsize" cars in a lot of cases. We all know these "midsize" cars have grown in size over the years so that didn't help....

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Keep in mind a lot of the changes to the Panther program were forced upon Ford via the government's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS.) Those cars and that platform couldn't live forever with many of the changes they needed. Things like the roof crush standards, front/rear/side collision, etc, would have required a complete tearup and redesign and it wasn't worth it.

Although many of you on here love the car, and that's great, as time went on they were poor sellers and it was time for them to go. The large car segment is still struggling as people have moved down to "midsize" cars in a lot of cases. We all know these "midsize" cars have grown in size over the years so that didn't help....
Many of us love the car because we know better and are hypnosis resistant.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,673 times
If you want something that rides good, handles like a boat but is smooth, has room for up to 6 or more depending on how friendly you are, gets fairly good mileage for what it is. will stand up in a crash test, then I would good another today. But they don't make em like they use to.
Good dependable automobile..

Old 01-04-2015, 03:33 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,609 times
Crown Vics will live long in Los Angeles - thanks to the LAPD.

When Ford announced they were going to stop production, the LAPD fleet manager made a deal with Ford. LAPD bought thousands of Crown Vics and warehoused them (I've forgotten the exact number, but it was something like three or four thousand). Ford agreed not to start the warrantee on each until it was put in service. They still have hundreds and hundreds of brand new ones left.

LAPD therefore gets to use up its millions of dollars of inventory of Crown Vic parts rather than throw them away.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:49 PM

387 posts, read 408,592 times
The Crown Vic (Cap Class as well--my fav) were two of the last great american made vehicles. I'm 39 and I guess you can just give me my old man card right now. I'm always in search of a large rwd vehicle. Being 6'7" and trying to squeeze into today's modern cars are a nightmare. There's reason law enforcement always used these, they stood the test of time.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:57 AM

182 posts, read 264,306 times
I have a Grand Marquis and I am considering buying an extra one now so I will have it later. You can still find them (and Crown Vics and Towncars) with low mileage here and there.

She really floats along the road without any complaints. I'm really glad I got one.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What is full sized spare mentality? I consider a full sized spare a bonus; especially after seeing too many driving around on 2-3 donut sized spares while dodging around at highway speeds. That mentality is downright scary and insane at the same time.

Ever see a full sized truck on a donut spare? A CV is basically the same principle as it has a real frame and weighs almost 2 tons.
Really? Downright scary and insane?

Start with the fact some cars never even put the spare on the ground regardless of size! I have owned several cars/trucks that the spare was never used once in the years of ownership. I have even had others that the spare was dry rotted to the point that it needed to be replaced despite it never hitting the ground once (truck spares exposed to elements under bed).

I have never seen someone driving on 2-3 donut spares so while that would be a sight to see I suspect you are exaggerating.

So while a full size spare could be seen as a bonus (especially if it is a matching wheel like Mercedes/BMW used to provide) in most cases a spare is really unnecessary weight being carrying around for the life of the car/truck........which is why manufacturers are coming up with alternatives like donut spares, run flat tires etc.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

GM carried the RWD Impala/Caddy/Buick through 96.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln