Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

Looking to replace my current tow vehicle (2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee HO V8) with something meant to tow, in the $15,000-$20,000 range. The Jeep has the power to tow but not the right transmission (4spd, but too high of an overdrive to tow so it is really 3 spd and the downshift from 3rd to 2nd goes from around 1800prm to about 3800rpm). The current 16' trailer weighs about 3,500 dry but filled with gear, water, etc probably in the neighborhood of 5000 lbs. I'd like a slightly larger trailer, but tow vehicle first.

Looking through these helpful guides Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine it looks to me as though I am looking for a 2007-2010 8 cylinder with a 6 spd transmission. I'd prefer the smallest truck I can get (so not a double cab long bed dually). I don't really need 4x4 but I suspect that here in the NW I will get it anyway.

And tips on those particular years, as far as engine transmission combos? I'd really like one of the new F150s with much better gas mileage and lighter weight but am absolutely unwilling to spend that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 09:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Only 09-later F150s had the 6-speed auto and the early years tend to hunt a lot (maybe fixed with later computer flashes?). I wouldn't be too fond of the 24-valve Tritons if you don't know what's going on IRT oil pressure and how the engine was maintained. The "cam phaser" issues for those 4.6 (09-10) and 5.4 engines (04-10) come from low oil pressure and you know that's nothing to fool with.

Your Jeep had the 4.7L under the hood and it looks like it is pretty high-winding (TORQUE 325 ft-lbs. @ 3600 rpm HORSEPOWER 265 hp @ 5200 rpm), so you really want to grab a 5.4L F150 from the 99-03 range or grab an F250 or F350 with that old 16-valve 5.4L in it through 2004. Won't be a speed demon, but they will work and won't self-destruct like the later engines can.

I don't know how prices are in Oregon, but looking at the website when I bought my SuperCrew back in '13, I see these two theoretical offerings that might make your budget if the Jeeps's a trade-in.

Used 2012 Ford F-150 For Sale | Pasadena TX
Used 2013 Ford F-150 For Sale | Pasadena TX

Both would do the job, though obviously the 3.7L v6 would need a little more massaging of the go-pedal and the MPG difference is minimal and you're buying that truck/engine if there is a decided price advantage, really.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
You need to avoid any 5.4 except the 2 valve engine. The 4 valve engines never put out the advertised HP/torque and frankly, of the hundreds I've seen on a dyno, none made over 260HP stock. They are prone to oil pump failures, injector issues, spark p0lugs welded in place, and cam phaser issues. You want to avoid any 2007. They has issues with the transmissions too. The 4.6, while a long life engine and they get great gas mileage is anemic for your use. I would suggest moving up to a newer 5.0. Relatively a simple engine that doesn't require much technology which YOU will have to maintain. That's why you do not want an EcoBoost. The early models had tons of issues including bad intercoolers that made water and caused catastrophic engine failures. Some Ford fixed, some they just screwed the customer over and left them with a blown engine.The direct injection also does not work as intended which is why Ford will be using a totally new 3.5 dual turbo engine in the F150 series truck in a few years. It will be in the new Raptor next year. It uses both direct and sequential injection. Direct injected engine have always been considered a design defect engine. The reason is the intake and valves get considerable amounts of blow back due to cam overlap. The parts get coated with deposits that build until the engine can no longer breath. Power and fuel mileage suffers. Because no fuel with cleaning agents ever sees these parts, it never gets cleaned. The sequential injection will eliminate the issue. Since I drive a 3.7, it is a very spirited engine making 302 hp but does not have much low end torque. I would not consider it suitable for trailer towing over 3500 lbs and that's even with the optional 3.73 gears that I have. For your needs, I'd stay with the 5.0 with Select Shift 6 speed transmission. The only year model I would avoid on the 5.0 is the 2011, They had some of the engines with bad crankshafts. Otherwise, it's been a good engine.

If you find a truck you think want, look at the door jamb and find the axle code. You'll want the 3.55 or 3.73 axle. Any of the others, like a 3.31 or 3.15, do not make for a good tow truck.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:25 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
I don't know the F-150 on a technical level like some here, but I'd recommend the Super Crew even if you don't think you want it. My last two trucks have been the 4-door versions and I absolutely love them. Even if you're not hauling passengers, you have all kinds of storage in the back if you are carrying items you don't want to get wet or stolen. I regularly put saws and other equipment in my back seat when I go for lunch. It's a bit of a nuisance, but I'd rather not replace my tools because they grew legs.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:55 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Thanks for the tips! Very helpful. Probably looking for a 2012 or 2013 5.0l 6 spd.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Best bet for that if you plan to tow is go for the 6.2L SOHC 3-Valve V-8 offered in the 12th gen F-150 it has alot of low end grunt/torque and smooth power curve is engine that Ford Says is needed to to get the 12,000LB towing payload.

It also get about the same fuel economy as the 5.0 coyote V-8 as well so not a big loss maybe 1MPG difference for all the extra useable low end power and torque is a decent trade off IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln