Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:14 AM

170 posts, read 196,057 times

Advertisements

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis with 40k miles

Check Air Suspension warning light came on. I also noticed that the sound that I heard when I started the car (probably air compressor?) has stopped.

The rear of the car seems to be sitting low.

How do I check if my MGM has air suspension?

Can someone explain what is going on and the solution to this problem?

I did some reading online. It seems that there are two options

1. Replace the air compressor OR
2. Yank out the air bags and use a kit to replace with spring coil and cylinder type shocks.

Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:38 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenu View Post
2009 Mercury Grand Marquis with 40k miles

Check Air Suspension warning light came on. I also noticed that the sound that I heard when I started the car (probably air compressor?) has stopped.

The rear of the car seems to be sitting low.

How do I check if my MGM has air suspension?

Can someone explain what is going on and the solution to this problem?

I did some reading online. It seems that there are two options

1. Replace the air compressor OR
2. Yank out the air bags and use a kit to replace with spring coil and cylinder type shocks.

Thanks for your advice.
You already found the answer. I’ve been in this situation. Pick up a used compressor if it’s much less then new, I found one with a warranty and also had to use it. The airbags could be leaking, but it sounds like compressor, also check fuses for it.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
When I have a Mark 8 with air suspension, rather than replace the troublesome air bags when they began to fail, I ripped them out and installed coil springs from a thunderbird. Problem solved.

I'd find some crown vic springs/shocks and swap them in.

I'd ask on a Panther forum for more detailed answer

Crownvic.net | Forums powered by UBB.threads™

Old 02-28-2018, 08:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Swapping out the airbags with regular coil springs is the way to go...and much cheaper. Once those airbag suspension problems start popping up, it can get costly.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I think it's funny that ever since the first mass market American cars with air suspension came in 1958, and the beautiful but incredibly unreliable Citroen DS in about 1955, air suspensions remain unreliable and when they fail, they fail expensively - yet manufacturers continue to shove these unwanted nests of complexity and failure into cars. Can't they figure out that WE DON'T WANT THEM yet?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:35 AM

574 posts, read 298,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Swapping out the airbags with regular coil springs is the way to go...and much cheaper. Once those airbag suspension problems start popping up, it can get costly.
We have a 2000 Lincoln Town Car with only 150k miles and got rid of the air suspension for shocks and springs about 4 years ago. Better ride and no more dealing with the airbag issues.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMike View Post
We have a 2000 Lincoln Town Car with only 150k miles and got rid of the air suspension for shocks and springs about 4 years ago. Better ride and no more dealing with the airbag issues.
150k miles!!! Is it reasonable to expect that I will get the same mileage about of my MGM? I have owned Japanese cars and getting 150k out of them is the minimum expectation for me.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:50 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Every taxicab you see on the road probably has 200-300K on it.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Which brand coil springs should I get? What is the ballpark repair estimate?

Is it okay to drive the MGM for sometime while I shop around for a reliable mechanic?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Arnott Industries sells both the air suspension parts and the coil conversion kit:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/amf...-v8-2009-26546

If the rear is sitting low, an air spring is leaking. If the compressor ran loudly every time you started the car and now no longer runs, then it burned out from feeding a leaking air bag. You'll probably need the full replacement kit, not just a compressor. The whole thing (air springs, solenoids, compressor, dryer) is $440; installation was another $300 in my experience but isn't hard to do yourself. I've used them in my 2003 Grand Marquis LS and 2006 Crown Victoria and found the compressor to be quieter than OEM. I have a small leak in the springs in the Crown Vic again after over 100k miles.

The coil convo kit is only $200. Personally, I prefer the air ride, but the option is there.

If the springs are just a little low, you should be OK driving around. If the rear end is really dragging, minimize driving and go as slow as you can, because it does affect your control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln