Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 10:32 AM

170 posts, read 196,504 times

Advertisements

I bought a 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition with 38k miles on it for $7k including everything. It was a impulsive decision to buy. It runs well and its in excellent condition after 1 year of occasional use.

Should I sell it or keep it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
How do we know? ^^

If you enjoy driving it, keep it. If you don't and you own other cars already or want to buy another one, then sell it.

I would enjoy driving the Grand Marquis, as I like it.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:33 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
If it's just sitting around unneeded and you have no plans to change that, sell the sucker.

If you need it, keep it.

This is a personal decision that only you can make.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 PM

421 posts, read 544,489 times
Not enough info given.

I do think it'll still depreciate. I have a tough time envisioning gas prices going down from where they are today. So you might be better off selling to the Panther crowd, while you can. OTOH if it's costing you near-nothing to run, you might be just as well to keep driving it.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Is MGM considered a reliable car?

Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
Not enough info given.

I do think it'll still depreciate. I have a tough time envisioning gas prices going down from where they are today. So you might be better off selling to the Panther crowd, while you can. OTOH if it's costing you near-nothing to run, you might be just as well to keep driving it.
I use it as a back up/emergency/fun car. I never understood the Panther platform hype.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I've had two Grand Marquis's over the years. Nice riding cars. But no way to answer your question.

If you're like me, someone who buys a car with all intentions of driving it to the ground (my 2007 Chrysler 300 I just took off the road I drove for 9+ yrs and it had 239k miles on it), then keep it if you enjoy it. Obviously in this case if the car becomes a repair albatross then you will let it go.

If you buy cars to resell in short order, then do so.

If you buy cars and get bored in 1-3 years and go for a replacement, then lease and save yourself the depreciation hassle.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I've had two Grand Marquis's over the years. Nice riding cars. But no way to answer your question.

If you're like me, someone who buys a car with all intentions of driving it to the ground (my 2007 Chrysler 300 I just took off the road I drive for 9+ yrs and it had 239k miles on it), then keep it if you enjoy it. Obviously in this case if the car beings a repair albatross then you will let it go.

If you buy cars to resell in short order, then do so.

If you buy cars and get bored in 1-3 years and go for a replacement, then lease and save yourself the depreciation hassle.
I am like you. I like driving until the wheels fall off.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:33 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenu View Post
I am like you. I like driving until the wheels fall off.
If you're like me, why are you questioning keeping it? If it was an impulse buy, but it's not the size or type of ride you are looking for, then get rid of it if you don't lose much if anything on the sale, and get something you want to keep for a long time.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 PM

421 posts, read 544,489 times
If it's a backup car, and you don't care for it, and it's in great shape, I'd try listing it at $7k and see if you can get full price. If you get $6k and you can get a backup vehicle for much less than that, then I'd think about doing that. [Another backup vehicle or just save the money--how often do you need a backup vehicle? can you rent a car if the need arises? how much does it cost per year to have a backup?] If everyone offers you only $2k then perhaps it's best to just sit on it as a lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive