Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 03:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I bought a used '08 Escape 4WD Hybrid. It was in decent shape, maintained well. Desert dweller/no rust.
My son was t-boned and rolled his small pu. To help him out I drove the Escape cross country and gave it to him to use.

He got a settlement and bought the car he wanted so I wanted the Escape back.
It had been sitting a while so I had it towed to Ford dealership in CT to have it checked out and routine maintenance before I headed up there to get it. They changed the oil, found a mouse nest in the air filter, did a fuel treatment.
Good to go. They did say it needed tires.
I rented a car, grabbed my cat and drove up.
Tires were really bad and I found a place that would put tires on it that day! Yay!
On the drive to the tire place it was making a horrible noise. I thought it was the brakes. Next to the tire place was a brake place. The next morning (before leaving) they checked everything. Brakes were good, nothing hanging, loose or rubbing. They didn't notice a noise but they only rolled around the parking lot. (No charge which was awesome)
Off I go, with cat, heading home. Guess what? No air conditioning. 90-95° I was dousing the cat with water. (Found a blown ac clutch fuse but changing that didn't fix it. I'd already tried charging it.) AND still making noise.
I'm so thankful I made it back. My Lincoln was parked one exit from local Ford dealership (at car rental place)so I unpacked the Escape and drove it right over. Ford ran me back to the Lincoln.

I explained the noise and also wanted the air conditioning fixed. Well, bad compressor and water pump bearings are making noise, needs a new water pump. $2K. Ummm... The service manager was very condescending. After all, I'm just a female. Finally, 2wks later I called and was told OH YEAH the parts just came in today! (Don't you love those coincidences?)
So today the mechanic finishes up, test drives, STILL MAKING NOISE and now they've discovered the problem. PTO/PTU case cracked and leaking. $5K
JUST FRICKIN SHOOT ME!
I kind of gave him an earful although the d-ck no longer works there and this guy is really pretty nice.

I'm picking it up tomorrow and will try to find another solution.
On a more positive note, Monday I start my new job running the parts room at the highway department garage. Once I prove myself there I bet I can get help from those guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 01:59 PM

92 posts, read 57,860 times
? Moral of story, don't leave vehicle with your child.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:14 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Didn't your son use or know of any reputable independent shops during the time he drove the car? There was bound to be at least one. I realize while on the road you wouldn't necessarily find the local ones. Not all component failures give advance warnings someone checking the car over might find. A car that sat a long time could suffer multiple problems if suddenly driven a long distance at highway speed. I don't understand why you'd opt to take a 13-14 year old car to dealerships for repairs. Find a reputable independent that has more incentive to keep a customer.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-10-2022 at 03:40 PM..

Old 09-10-2022, 03:58 PM

In that area of CT you're limited and I picked one I thought would be okay. Being a hybrid, they had no clue what to do with it. My insurance was towing it. I thought, if anyone can take care of a Ford hybrid, Ford could. They didn't even put it on an analyzer. Pitiful service from both dealerships.
On the trip back, praying I'd make it, I knew the Ford place was right there where I was going. Again, assuming they'd correctly diagnose the problem. I've been here 4 months and have used 1 garage. I'm calling them tomorrow. I've watched videos. I think they can fix it for a decent price.
I don't think my son tore it up. I don't know if that oil was ever serviced - I didn't have it long before driving it CA to CT.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:38 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyforest View Post
? Moral of story, don't leave vehicle with your child.
Wait, what are you blaming on her son? why?

Old 09-10-2022, 04:45 PM

Hopefully you can get the vehicle serviceable without spending too much money. So far it doesn't sound like the Ford dealers have been a lot of help. I understand the car isn't worth all that much either, so I hate to say it but I'd think long and hard before doing another expensive repair on it.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:41 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
For the most part, the new generation of techs are only able to function well when there is code stored in the computer and their tablet tells them what to do. Otherwise, figuring loose wiring, noises, etc gets tricky for them.
In their defense, the new cars are more complicated too.
In my experience, sometimes it is better to have a blown engine or transmission than some nagging issue that nobody can figure out. It might cost you more than a new engine or transmission.

Old 09-15-2022, 04:33 PM

Here's an update. I started my new job at the highway dept garage. Though I could take advantage of the guys there, I decided to use the local garage (closer to home) that I've used before. So I drove it off of the Ford lot and my friend met me and took me back to my Lincoln. I feel better having made progress.
At least the air works!

Old 09-20-2022, 05:38 PM

Next update: $900 to fix. Better than $5K. Ford just shoots themselves in the foot.
I know they have contracts to service govt vehicles. I guess they don't care if Joe Public steers clear.

Old 09-22-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Next update: $900 to fix. Better than $5K. Ford just shoots themselves in the foot.
I know they have contracts to service govt vehicles. I guess they don't care if Joe Public steers clear.
*fingers crossed*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln