Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 04:52 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I just wanted to add that imo Ford has the best AC of any of the other builders. Every Ford I have had was ice cold when the AC was on.
Then you never had a Ford Fusion.

During a summer day the A/C will sometimes fail. The solution is to turn on the head lights and the fog lights - that actually is a thing with this car.

Weird but true - I had the issue in my 2010 Fusion, found the kludge work-around on-line. No explanation from Ford as to why this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 06:38 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Then you never had a Ford Fusion.

During a summer day the A/C will sometimes fail. The solution is to turn on the head lights and the fog lights - that actually is a thing with this car.

Weird but true - I had the issue in my 2010 Fusion, found the kludge work-around on-line. No explanation from Ford as to why this happens.
Nope never had a fusion but that is a very funny fix!! How in the world did anyone figure out that work around lol

I only had a couple of different F150's, Bronco's, and an LTD. They all were ice cold. Sorry about your fusion!

Old 05-02-2023, 08:17 AM

843 posts, read 565,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Unnecessary complication.
The new A/C system? The article explains in more detail how it would be beneficial.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Sorry. The fact that you failed to encase your post's text in quotes in your post led me to believe that these were your own words.
True. But I sorta reworded it a little more succinctly, so I did not place it in quotations. I assumed most people would read the article.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:02 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
I'd prefer some of the "Speed Racer" button options.

I'd like a roof mounted rotor with extending telescoping steel wands to engage in an emergency defense situation to clear a pathway before I drove through a dangerous area. The sound itself may deter a mob of people.

How about a second fob for car owners that functions as a kill switch figuratively and literally...Carjacking takes keys and presumes to get away in vehicle. The owner initiates second fob which now puts car into stall and at same time secures driver attempting to steal vehicle and permanently incapacitates and then disposes of?

Or a reverse deployed chase grappler that gets in the wheel of those tailgating you in the far right lane on a four lane highway. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mRRJHUZrc

Old 05-02-2023, 10:41 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
True. But I sorta reworded it a little more succinctly, so I did not place it in quotations. I assumed most people would read the article.
I work in a hospital’s boiler room working with the HVAC system and other systems. Regularly we get some engineer who never turned wrenches explaining how this new tech or software would make things easier. Each time they’re proven wrong by reality.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I work in a hospital’s boiler room working with the HVAC system and other systems. Regularly we get some engineer who never turned wrenches explaining how this new tech or software would make things easier. Each time they’re proven wrong by reality.
I wonder if they said crank starting by hand was better when the first electric starters failed. Once they are perfected, then it's like, "How did we ever do it the old way?"

Good thing they didn't say, "Get rid of that battery, that motor, and all those wires, and give me back my old crank".

Old 05-02-2023, 08:34 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I wonder if they said crank starting by hand was better when the first electric starters failed. Once they are perfected, then it's like, "How did we ever do it the old way?"

Good thing they didn't say, "Get rid of that battery, that motor, and all those wires, and give me back my old crank".
This design makes things more complicated putting the system into the roof body structure. This is moving an existing technology to another part of the vehicle.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:31 PM

Quote:
This design makes things more complicated putting the system into the roof body structure. This is moving an existing technology to another part of the vehicle.

That's the point. The article explains that the dash/cowl (firewall) area is getting too full of other components, so that's one of the reasons:

Quote:
Due to the increasing complexity of modern cars, along with new packaging requirements dictated by the large-scale switch to electric power, a rethink of the packaging of secondary- and comfort features has become a necessity. With this in mind, Ford's engineers have now devised a way of getting the HVAC system away from the firewall area, opting to integrate all the components into a single roof-mounted unit instead.
Also, this location solves issues where you need to route air ducting to the roof area for the rear seats, or on SUVs you need to have an "aux A/C" unit in the one side of the rear quarter inner area for the rear two rows of seats, taking up space on one side that can be used for seats or cargo, need to route wiring and A/C lines all the way back there. This would eliminate a lot of that by putting the A/C right in the roof where it can be more easily routed to the rear. So it doesn't really make it more complicated because it simplifies it by replacing and/or relocates a lot of the old way of doing things that are problematic and/or cost more.

Quote:
This may seem like innovation just for the sake of innovation at first glance because it won't really change the basic functioning of the climate control system. However, there are numerous advantages to moving the HVAC hardware away from the front compartment and firewall area (i.e., "Instrument Panel").

The main improvement lies in a lot of free space being liberated behind the dashboard. This vacant space may allow for improved crash safety due to enlarged crush structures, or it could be used to cram other gadgets into the now-vacant space or perhaps make the frunk of the F-150 Lightning even bigger.

Compressing the HVAC hardware in a contained space will also improve the system's efficiency as it will lead to shorter plumbing, reducing the possibility of extraneous heat- or cold sources affecting either the heat exchanger or air distribution channel temperatures.
And the sunroof really is not part of the roof structure. There are reinforcements for it in the roof structure, because it is heavy, but it is usually a stand alone module outsourced to a supplier that specializes in engineering and making them. You are correct that there is a unique roof structure for the sunroof option with different roof bows, hole in the roof, other braces to compensate for missing bows, etc. But that happens for any sunroof.

I have to keep quoting the article because looking at your comments I don't think you read it. It addresses your assertions.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 05-02-2023 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-03-2023, 06:48 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
This has been happening since the invention of the car itself. Now we have motors in the front, in the middle, in the rear, and mounted on the wheel hubs in the case of Electric. Switches and controls have changed places, rhd, lhd, it goes on and on.

Based on the threads you start, you have a very good imagination so i hope you can envision the future a little better than being a negative nancy about change and technology.

I think a roof mounted AC has pros and cons to it. In the long run I think it would be more efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln