Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:00 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I think we are just losing our car culture over time. In the 1930s and 40s it was all elegance and leaps in technology. The 1950s were about style. The 1960s were about power. We survived the 70s oil shock. I thought we were done when it seemed all cars would only be FWD.

Then the horsepower wars resumed around 2003 and we were back off to the races. That was mostly because Baby Boomers raised in the 1960s wer now older and finally had the money for toys.

Todays young Americans are fine with disposable appliance and people movers as long as they are comfy, have premium sound systems, and are loaded with tech. Performance and style have gone in the trash can, sacrificed on the EPA alter of CAFE standards.

It sucks. I am glad I was born when I was. Well, 10 years younger would have been nice. It would have been fun to have purchased a 5 year old Shelby GT back in the day.

I was in high school, my brother bought a popsicle orange 1968 Shelby Mustang GT 500. We had a lot of fun in that car. He sold it when his monthly insurance payment was more than his car payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:08 AM

384 posts, read 109,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
On a more serious note, we/you should be glad that Ford is still producing Mustangs, unlike GM, who killed the Camaro/Firebird, and Dodge, who is killing the Challenger....
Dodge is definitely killing the Challenger, but the replacement is going to have both 2 and 4 doors, with a few different power train options.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I have to disagree. I think they look pretty good. Of course I swore Id never buy a 6th gen, and now I own one. I do miss my 14 sometimes, but I absolutley love my 17 vert. I will say this though: Had Dodge offered a factory convertible Chally, even with a 6, Id bought that instead.

I, too, think the current Mustang looks great. Aesthetics are just a matter of opinion, but in my eyes, the best looking Mustangs are as follows (best to worse).

1) S650 (2024) tie
1) S550 (2015-2023) tie
1) S197 (2005-2014) tie
4) 1968-1970
5) Mustang II
6) SN95
7) Fox Body
8) Pre-1967
9) 1971-1973

Old Today, 01:17 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
To me, every mustang after 1967-1968 was a styling mistake. I once owned a yellow '66 Mustang fastback w/ V8 and 4 on the floor. It would be worth a fortune now. Talk about a chick magnet back in the day!Unfortunately, my best friend had a '66 GTO w/ the same setup and he could beat me every time.

But to properly answer your question, the earlier Mustangs were the result of one man, Lee Lacocca. Cars used to be largely designed by one person, and glitches like the dash you mentioned would never have happened if one man had designed the car. Today, cars seem to be designed by board meetings, focus groups, bean counters, and by imitating other cars.
Oh gosh. At least spell the name right!!

It's Lee Iacocca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln