Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best Truck/Diesel Combo?
Chevy/ Duramax 2 25.00%
Dodge/ Cummins 1 12.50%
Ford/ Powerstroke 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

hmm seeing as dodge is now owned by fiat and is still not doing too well maybe we could see ford or GM getting the cummins under the their hood. imgine ford the best selling pick-up of all time gets the most reliable diesel engine of all time it would be a huge sales success and ford and it's customers would all benifit from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm seeing as dodge is now owned by fiat and is still not doing too well maybe we could see ford or GM getting the cummins under the their hood. imgine ford the best selling pick-up of all time gets the most reliable diesel engine of all time it would be a huge sales success and ford and it's customers would all benifit from it.
The Cummins engine is about the only thing that keeps the Dodge pickups on the road. Well 2500 up at least.

Will Ford use some of its technology from Australia and (or) Europe in development of its new engine?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
The Cummins engine is about the only thing that keeps the Dodge pickups on the road. Well 2500 up at least.
I'd agree, every Dodge truck I've ever been in has suffered from uncomfortable seats, cheap plastic materials (making the Chevy Silverado and Ford F Series look like Cadillacs), and a unnerving amount of wind noise. I haven't driven the new Dodge, but hopefully they've addressed some issues that has pegged the Ram for years.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'd agree, every Dodge truck I've ever been in has suffered from uncomfortable seats, cheap plastic materials (making the Chevy Silverado and Ford F Series look like Cadillacs), and a unnerving amount of wind noise. I haven't driven the new Dodge, but hopefully they've addressed some issues that has pegged the Ram for years.
I would drive a Dodge before before a Chevrolet again... But it would have to have the cummins engine.

But owning a dodge with a cummmins diesel is like marrying an ugly women because she has a tight box and maybe some money.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
I would drive a Dodge before before a Chevrolet again... But it would have to have the cummins engine.

But owning a dodge with a cummmins diesel is like marrying an ugly women because she has a tight box and maybe some money.
Be sure to use that comparison when you negotiate your next truck
purchase

Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Be sure to use that comparison when you negotiate your next truck
purchase
Yeah I should. The salesman I normally talk to will see the humor in that analogy.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Outdue it?

Current numbers on the big 3 diesels:

Ford Powestroke 6.4L: 350 HP @ 3000 RPM and a peak torque output of 650 ft-lbs at 2000 RPM
Dodge Cummins 6.7L: 305 HP @ 3000 RPM and a peak torque output of 610 ft-lbs at 1500 RPM
Chevy Duramax 6.6L 360 HP @ 3200 RPM and a peak torque output of 650 ft-lbs at 1600 RPM

Doesn't seem to me like any of the trucks are whomping the other, the Dodge obviously would be in last, but the Duramax and Powerstroke are pretty much tied except for the extra 10 HP the Duramax has going for it.

I didn't see any official numbers for the new 6.7L Powerstroke but I've heard talk that Ford wants to aim for 400 HP and 700 ft-lbs of torque which would make a great truck. Not sure about the aluminum heads that Ford is going to put in the new Powerstroke, I have my concerns about using aluminum but I could be wrong.
Not true. The current LMM Duramax has a power rating of 365/660. The power rating you listed is for the 06-07 LBZ. The next generation LML Duramax will receive a bump in power to 390/700. It is also expected to receive a redesigned Allison 1000 8-speed transmission.
Personally, I would stay away from the Ford and Dodge. I do like the Cummins engine. However, I feel like Dodge put a 500K mile engine in a 200K mile truck. Everything behind the Cummins is crap even though the transmission has seen substantial improvements. Ford does make a tough truck but ever since the dismissal of the 7.3 the engines have been plagued with problems including the new 6.4 liter. It would be nice to see Ford actually produce a diesel engine that is worth a crap but, IMO, it doesn't look promising. There is a reason why the big3 purchase their diesels elsewhere.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Not true. The current LMM Duramax has a power rating of 365/660. The power rating you listed is for the 06-07 LBZ. The next generation LML Duramax will receive a bump in power to 390/700. It is also expected to receive a redesigned Allison 1000 8-speed transmission.
Personally, I would stay away from the Ford and Dodge. I do like the Cummins engine. However, I feel like Dodge put a 500K mile engine in a 200K mile truck. Everything behind the Cummins is crap even though the transmission has seen substantial improvements. Ford does make a tough truck but ever since the dismissal of the 7.3 the engines have been plagued with problems including the new 6.4 liter. It would be nice to see Ford actually produce a diesel engine that is worth a crap but, IMO, it doesn't look promising. There is a reason why the big3 purchase their diesels elsewhere.
the only reason people buy gas powered rams is cause of the "hemi" and they look good but a gas ford or chevy will out last a ram anyday and if dodge did not have the cummins diesel in the 2500's they would have a very hard time selling heavy-duty trucks

Old 11-11-2009, 12:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
^And it still baffles me why someone would brag that they have a "Hemi" when the hemispherical head design was invented in 1951!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
^And it still baffles me why someone would brag that they have a "Hemi" when the hemispherical head design was invented in 1951!
I think the Hemi is a decent engine but dodge decided to mate it to a weak transmission so when you floor or push it hard it or tow a heavy load those 390HP and 407 ft-lbs of torque blow your tranny out and you end up not going anywhere. the early ram 2500HD with the cummins had the same problem great poweful motor but backed up by a weak tranny that could not handle the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln