Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

that when the Ford Gran Torino was redesigned for 1972 the car rode consistently quieter than the larger Galaxie and LTD for 72 and 73, according to Consumer Reports?

With Fords being so elaborate is it possible Ford engineers actually neglected the Galaxies and LTD's back in the day?

Here's CR's 1972 comparisons:
Gran Torino: The Torino was just about the quietest car CU ever tested. We heard only slight engine noise and whirring from the engine radiator fan

Galaxie: Recent Ford ads showed violin music being taped from the backseat of a moving car. Unfortunately, our Galaxie was not nearly as quiet as those ads imply. While we judged the Galaxie fairly quiet, the tires hissed and rumbled, the engine fan whirred and wind whistled around the doors and windows

here's 73:
Gran Torino: The Torino was one of the quietest cars CU has tested. Noise from all sources was commendably low

LTD: The Ford wasn't as quiet overall as the Mercury or GM cars. Coarse road surfaces provoked road noise and vibration throughout the car's body structure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I dont know. It is interesting for sure. They were basically the same car imo, but only size were different and I would think they would have put more quality and quietness into the LTD since it was the larger and more costly car.

I am not sure exactly what models were tested, but I could understand if the top of the line Gran Torino was as quiet or quieter than a base big Ford like the Custom or Galaxie, but I think the LTD and LTD Brougham added more interior sound deadening materials. Sounds like they tested the Galaxie and may have been a hardtop (with no center pillar) that may have created more wind noise, whereas the tested Torino may have been the pillared sedan? Look at the 72 ad... it even boasts about the quietness... Beautiful cars. I know where there is a blue one like this... I may try to buy it one of these days.

Referred to as "whisper quiet" Brougham....

For 73, its really interested, because this is when Ford updated the big models and really boasted about its quietness (see ad below). They also had very nice fit and finish during this period. I wonder if the tires were part of the problem? They were actually referred to as "Quiet quality 73 Fords".

IMO, they were very quiet and quality cars... especially for the period.

and they go on again in 73 about the quietness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
that when the Ford Gran Torino was redesigned for 1972 the car rode consistently quieter than the larger Galaxie and LTD for 72 and 73, according to Consumer Reports?

With Fords being so elaborate is it possible Ford engineers actually neglected the Galaxies and LTD's back in the day?

Here's CR's 1972 comparisons:
Gran Torino: The Torino was just about the quietest car CU ever tested. We heard only slight engine noise and whirring from the engine radiator fan

Galaxie: Recent Ford ads showed violin music being taped from the backseat of a moving car. Unfortunately, our Galaxie was not nearly as quiet as those ads imply. While we judged the Galaxie fairly quiet, the tires hissed and rumbled, the engine fan whirred and wind whistled around the doors and windows

here's 73:
Gran Torino: The Torino was one of the quietest cars CU has tested. Noise from all sources was commendably low

LTD: The Ford wasn't as quiet overall as the Mercury or GM cars. Coarse road surfaces provoked road noise and vibration throughout the car's body structure

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 01-30-2010 at 10:28 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 PM

Look to the right of this page and it goes on more about the quietness and how its achieved. I am not sure Chevrolet or Plymouth either boasted like this on their 1973 models. I have owned alot of early 70s GM cars though and all were quiet. My 73 Pontiac Grand Ville is almost 40 years old and its still quiet... not much wind or road noise, but it was the top of the line Pontiac for 1973, so sound deadening material may have been at a generous rate.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:44 PM

Default for some reason

i find the 72 Fords boring but i like the 73's. And that green interior is NICE! It beats Chrysler Corp

i think you had asked about Chevy in terms of noise control. For years the Impalas and Caprices (late 60's to @ 1974) were at the top of their class for noise control in CR's tests. They surpassed the big Fords.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:47 PM

Default why

would someone buy a Ford Galaxie 500 in 73 or 74 or a Merc Monterey when the LTD/Marquis were just around the corner?

I could understand buying one in the 60's (we had a 66 Galaxie 500) but how many people actually saw a 73 Galaxie or Monterey riding around? Someone would actually not want to pay more for the extra trim? You saw a lot of Newports though

Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
It seems like every old car ad (like pre-1985) that featured a sunroof also featured a woman standing up inside the car and poking her head out of it hahah....why is that??

Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i find the 72 Fords boring but i like the 73's. And that green interior is NICE! It beats Chrysler Corp

i think you had asked about Chevy in terms of noise control. For years the Impalas and Caprices (late 60's to @ 1974) were at the top of their class for noise control in CR's tests. They surpassed the big Fords.
Yeah, I remember my 71 Caprice was quiet... as is my 72 Caprice wagon.

Yeah, I am a fan of the big 73 Fords. They (LTD Brougham) seemed to be a tad more luxurious than the Caprice and Sport Fury. In fact, the LTD Brougham back then was near Lincoln luxury imo. Ford was also a step ahead... in 73, they offered intermittent wipers... Chevy and Plymouth didnt... then they (Ford) offered cornering lights... again, Chevy and Plymouth didnt in 73.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It seems like every old car ad (like pre-1985) that featured a sunroof also featured a woman standing up inside the car and poking her head out of it hahah....why is that??
I have never noticed it before, but your right. Here is a lady standing out of a Dodge... Maybe they thought most new car buyers were men and if they bought one, a beautiful young lady would want to stand out of the sunroof. Or... maybe it was just a groovy thing to do?

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 01-31-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I have never noticed it before, but your right. Here is a lady standing out of a Dodge... Maybe they thought most new car buyers were men and if they bought one, a beautiful young lady would want to stand out of the sunroof. Or... maybe it was just a groovy thing to do?
Talk about "groovy"....metal sliding sunroof on a '75 Dodge Dart Sport Coupe? That's what Justin Timberlake meant when he sang "I'm bringin' sexy back"

Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
My parents had the (blue) LTD Brougham pictured above. I still think it was one beautiful automobile. It was bronze with a black roof. The interior was a gold brocade-like material. I loved that car.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My parents had the (blue) LTD Brougham pictured above. I still think it was one beautiful automobile. It was bronze with a black roof. The interior was a gold brocade-like material. I loved that car.
Definitely! The 1973-74 LTD Brougham 4dr sedan and hardtop are one of my most favorite cars. I have seen a few 73 4drs for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln