Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:44 PM

62 posts, read 251,795 times

Advertisements

Listing agent is asking me $500 check to submit the complete short sale offer package to the bank? why is that and is it refundable? Bank is Wells Fargo. Does anyone have any experience dealing with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
You pretty much always submit some money when making an offer. It shows that you are serious about the transaction. It is generally refundable if a contract is not signed or if a contract is signed for any number or reasons that would be spelled out in the contract.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Wait...you are the buyer? Seller? I'm not sure I understand the situation.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
You shouldn't be paying any money that isn't outlined in the contract. Assuming you are the buyer, and that you are talking about Earnest Money, that is very normal, and the terms under which it is refundable would be in the contract.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:28 PM

I am the buyer

Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geethal View Post
Listing agent is asking me $500 check to submit the complete short sale offer package to the bank? why is that and is it refundable? Bank is Wells Fargo. Does anyone have any experience dealing with them?
It's normal. As mentioned, it's an earnest money deposit. However, if you're approaching this as a standard transaction, you may want to reconsider.

Banks have developed a reputation for gaming short sale buyers. How many days does the bank require your offer to be valid for? What are their stipulations for financing?

As a rule, I say stay away from shorts unless you're an experienced investor who doesn't expect the deal to close anytime soon.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:07 PM

You should go with your agent's advice but, as a general rule, most offers are made with some amount of money as an earnest money deposit that goes into an escrow account. Where I am, there has been a trend with short sales to not have the buyer offer any earnest money at all or only once the seller's lender(s) has approved the short sale, so to speak. Personally, I don't like that for either party. I understand the logic but a contract on a short sale is really just a contract with a lender's approval contingency and, just like any other contract, I like to have both parties "invested" to some degree so neither will arbitrarily back out for no reason. However, a buyer does not have to provide an earnest money deposit at all for any purchase contract -short sale or otherwise-so you certainly don't have to do that. If the seller is willing to run the risk that you will not walk away because you have no money in escrow, that's up to them. The listing agent is probably saying that the lender will be more willing to process the offer if there is evidence that you are not, as I said before, likely to walk away because you could lose your deposit. They don't want to do the work unless they know you are really going to stick it out. If you want to provide the deposit, it should be going to an escrowed account and your contract should describe all of the conditions by which you could lose the deposit IF you violate the contract. Hope that's all clear!

Old 11-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
You should go with your agent's advice but, as a general rule, most offers are made with some amount of money as an earnest money deposit that goes into an escrow account. Where I am, there has been a trend with short sales to not have the buyer offer any earnest money at all or only once the seller's lender(s) has approved the short sale, so to speak. Personally, I don't like that for either party. I understand the logic but a contract on a short sale is really just a contract with a lender's approval contingency and, just like any other contract, I like to have both parties "invested" to some degree so neither will arbitrarily back out for no reason. However, a buyer does not have to provide an earnest money deposit at all for any purchase contract -short sale or otherwise-so you certainly don't have to do that. If the seller is willing to run the risk that you will not walk away because you have no money in escrow, that's up to them. The listing agent is probably saying that the lender will be more willing to process the offer if there is evidence that you are not, as I said before, likely to walk away because you could lose your deposit. They don't want to do the work unless they know you are really going to stick it out. If you want to provide the deposit, it should be going to an escrowed account and your contract should describe all of the conditions by which you could lose the deposit IF you violate the contract. Hope that's all clear!
Thank you and listing agent is asking to make the check out to seller's name.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 PM

I don't understand that request at all. Are you using an agent for your side of the deal? It sounds like they want to use an attorney for the short sale negotiation and the seller can't afford it. It's up to you but there's no way I'd write THAT check.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 PM

20 posts, read 87,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geethal View Post
Thank you and listing agent is asking to make the check out to seller's name.
This does not make sense. Don't you have a buyer's agent? The check (earnest money) is usually made out to the buyer agent's company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs