Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,495 times

Advertisements

My MIL died a few months ago without leaving a will. The children have a contract on the house, but the mortgage company says the children won't receive the money for 1 year, rather they will hold it in escrow. Is this standard procedure? Shouldn't the children have an attorney to represent them rather than letting the mortgage company handle all of the legal matters?

Call me skeptical, but something is setting off alarms for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
They have a contract on the house? to sell it to someone else? Who is handling the estate? Is one of them the administrator/executor or are they winging an intestate situation?

A mortgage company has no authority to withhold funds if there is an executor/administrator of the estate. I'm guessing they are winging things. In that case, there may not be authority to sell the house and the mortgage company is protecting itself.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Has the estate been through probate? Why would the mortgage company have any money other than what is owed to them?

Has an estate or real estate attorney been consulted?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:22 PM

They are trying to avoid probate. One of the SIL's husband went on-line and found out a way to handle this without going to court or having an attorney.

Yes, they have a buyer and the price has been agreed on. There is no mortgage on the house, having been paid off 30 years ago.

They have not consulted a real estate agent or attorney as they are trying to not spend any money. I am not comfortable with the situation but am not qualified to make any legal decisions.

There is no executor. One of them has appointed herself in charge of everything and the rest seem okay with that. It is an intestate situation.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Gee there's a ton of money involved and none of us are experts but let's pick this time to cheap out on getting a lawyer... !!!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martiki View Post
They are trying to avoid probate. One of the SIL's husband went on-line and found out a way to handle this without going to court or having an attorney.
Well-they will get what they pay for.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
If there is no mortgage, how could a mortgage company hold any money? That makes no sense...

Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If there is no mortgage, how could a mortgage company hold any money? That makes no sense...

This is what I was going to say. Do you mean the title company wants to hold the money? A lender can't just hold money when they don't have a lien on the house.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Actually there isn't a lot of money involved. There are 6 heirs and the house is very old and inexpensive, but I agree this is not the time to cheap-out.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll try again to suggest an attorney but some people have to learn the hard way!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post

I was told that when they go to close on the house that the proceeds from the sale of the house will not be distributed to the heirs, rather held for 1 year in escrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs