Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 PM

468 posts, read 1,383,620 times

Advertisements

Well, I tell ya... if someone can figure out how the banks work, will they let me know? I've been through some really crazy transactions with short sales lately. Never a dull moment - and no two transactions the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,425,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahagal View Post
The funny thing is, just 2 days before they came back with "$185,000", the listing agent told us that there was something in our file that indicated that "the offer was in line with the BPO." I was happy about that, and then the bottom dropped out with this high counter offer.

Perhaps peachstategal was right, and they're going to try and find a middle ground with us. I just wish they would have went that route to begin with, as we'd be signing papers right now.
I would counter with your original offer at $147K final offer, especially if you have a high cash component to it. Since it's in line with the BPO, that's probably what they'd take.

You have to play hardball with them, and you're probably more in the drivers seat than you think. Tell your agent you'll move on if they don't accept, don't trust anyone these days.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,800,991 times
That's what you get for messing with a SS. 300K homes for 200K? Hahaha, more like 300K is now 67K........BPO is a farce, also. You made a deal with somebody to buy something that does not belong to them...............

Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,295,424 times
Aaahhhhh, memories......

A couple of years ago I made an offer on a short sale just south of Tampa. House had been on the market for almost 9 months. From the outside the house was really cute. Inside was TRASHED. There were plumbing problems everywhere there was plumbing and a lot of damaged drywall in both bathrooms, plus a tub that was about to fall through the floor. Then there was the mold. Both bathrooms and the kitchen were going to need to be gutted. The homeowners had punched holes in every single wall and door. Even DIY it was going to take a lot of $$$$ to make the place habitable.

I made my offer based on recently closed comps plus the condition of the house. The bank ordered a BPO, which apparently does not involve someone actually going inside the house. They countered with something insanely over the asking price and refused to budge. Their counter was not even close to comps. My agent provided dozens of pictures, a stunning CMA, plus quotes from contractors. We countered. Zip, zilch, nada from the bank. We walked.

The house foreclosed. Then the house got condemned.

My advice to you is to counter with your best offer. If the bank does not come down to where your research tells you the house should be, walk. There are plenty of other houses in your area to love.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 PM

74 posts, read 143,225 times
New development, and I'm not sure what this means, but the day after the bank countered with the $185,000, the status of the house went from "pending" to "withdrawn." What does that mean??? I have a call into my agent but haven't heard back yet. We haven't even had a chance to respond to the $185,000, so I'm not sure what is going on!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:52 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,619,359 times
Quote:
New development, and I'm not sure what this means, but the day after the bank countered with the $185,000, the status of the house went from "pending" to "withdrawn." What does that mean??? I have a call into my agent but haven't heard back yet. We haven't even had a chance to respond to the $185,000, so I'm not sure what is going on!
"Withdrawn" means it's no longer for sale. Could any number of reasons. Your agent may be able to contact the listing agent to find out why.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM

No longer for sale because they're negotiating with us? Or no longer for sale because they're dumping us??? I don't get it at all. Boy this is frustrating...

Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
No longer for sale because they're negotiating with us? Or no longer for sale because they're dumping us??? I don't get it at all. Boy this is frustrating...
I would not expect to see a "withdrawn" status if they were still considering your offer, but you will have to find out from the listing agent what is going on with it.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:52 PM

OK, my agent called the listing agent and found out why it was listed as "withdrawn." As it turns out, the listing agent is changing real estate companies, so the listing was shown as "withdrawn" with the old company and is "pending" with the new company. Whew! We're still in the running for this house. I think we're going to counter at $160,000 (listing price, which I think is fair) and see what happens from there.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
...As it turns out, the listing agent is changing real estate companies, so the listing was shown as "withdrawn" with the old company and is "pending" with the new company....
Glad you found out. You may just want to verify the status with the new company. Here, an MLS status of "pending" would mean the seller has accepted an offer and it's now in escrow, pending final close. May mean something else where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs