Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times

Advertisements

I appreciate any insights regarding doing a short sale. Per my prior thread, I am in Illinois and looking to do a short-sale.

I have been informed by my attorney that there are attorneys who specialize in short-sales who allow borrowers to drag out the short-sale process, which allows borrowers to continue to collect rents while not making mortgage payments for 1-3 years.

What can other people tell me about this strategy? I have heard this has been highly effective for some people in FL and CA as well as LV. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
I am not being "judgy" but I think owners who continue to collect rents while not paying their obligations to their lenders (or homeowners associations or condo associations) should not be treated by the banks in the same way as someone who, for reasons beyond their control, are out of work and unable to make payments but continue living in the home until they get a job. I don't know if they handle things differently but, frankly, it seems like they should foreclose faster in circumstances like yours. Are you unable to pay your mortgage payments?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default I am able to make payments

I am able to make payments and have done so like clockwork for the past 5 years. However, even with putting 20 percent down to buy my properties I am underwater. I would like to recoup my down payment and closing costs.

My engaging an attorney this should slow down the short sale process. One of my co-workers is just finishing up a short sale, which has lasted 18 months without an attorney in FL.

After closing costs are taken out (they put nothing down), he is netting around $10K (they have rented it since moving to Chicago) on a $100K property that his wife owes $200K on.

I am still weighing whether or not to go ahead with the short sale strategy as I do have 794 credit score (as of last week) and $100k in stocks ($200K additional in retirement accounts, which I am told they cannot touch).

I am also looking to change jobs before I start the process as I understand it may be difficult to find another job in financial services for a few years after the short sale.

I will be meeting with an attorney next week to discuss whether or not this strategy makes sense and if so, how to protect my liquid assets from creditors.

I have found an attorney who will do the work for $500/mth for both properties, which seems more reasonable. Basically, this will save me $3300/mth as long as the process drags out. This attorney will also negotitate loan modification if I choose to keep either of the properties where the attorney gets 10% of the principal reduction.

I am fully aware that my credit will take a hit, but this will allow me to save $79,200 (2 years of payments) to $118,800 (3 years of payments).

As far as tax implications, I have 5 years of rolling losses on both properties as well as primary residence for property that is the most underwater. I will not owe taxes on any principal reduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs