Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

There has recently been an epidemic in the Duluth, MN area of thieves stripping foreclosed homes of their wiring, which is re-sold to recyclers, allegedly most of the time for drugs (meth, pills, etc.). The thefts have been reported on in the local media, but I was not able to find many links other than this:

Rural Housing, Exurbanization, and Amenity-Driven Development: Contrasting ... - David W. Marcouiller, Mark B. Lapping, Owen J. Furuseth - Google Books

One person I know even got in trouble for stripping a rural school while classes were not in session.

Is this a problem in your area? If so, what measures do you use to combat this type of theft?

Also, have people in your area stolen other things from foreclosed homes? Do you view borrowers who have been foreclosed upon but rip doors, bathroom fixtures, etc. out as thieves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Do you view borrowers who have been foreclosed upon but rip doors, bathroom fixtures, etc. out as thieves?
Yes, because they are.

Houses being stripped of metal and anything of value is a very big problem in Detroit. It's not just foreclosed houses, but any house that is vacant--and some that are still occupied!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Our house is not foreclosed on, but is for sale and is vacant. We live in NY. Three weeks ago the realtor was showing it and was greeting by 28 inches of water in the basement. Yes, it was the copper wire that was cut and some was stolen.

It is horrendous as now the insurance company is fighting paying for it. No matter what, it seems like the deadbeats always win and the decent people end up paying for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Bad for some, good for others....... As an investor, I love it when places get stripped of wire and plumbing. It can easily knock $50k off the price of the house because it no longer qualifies for a mortgage and only costs me about $2k to replace.

Last edited by 399083453; 06-08-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Bad for some, good for others....... As an investor, I love it when places get stripped of wire and plumbing. It can easily knock $50k off the price of the house because it no longer qualifies for a mortgage and only costs me about $2k to replace.
Wow, "morose delectation" anybody?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 9,771 times
In the Austin area, people were stealing AC units from foreclosed and vacant homes. It was a big problem about 6 months ago, but it seems to under control now. Maybe the police caught the thieves? I don't know, but AC units are pretty easy to cut loose and load up in a truck.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:26 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Wow, "morose delectation" anybody?
Well, someone is going to buy it. Why not me?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
I've seen a lot of theft and vandalism in foreclosed homes. Some were probably former owners. Some were theives that came in after the foreclosure. Some just bored kids in the neighborhood.

Either way, it does reduce the value of the home and make it harder for someone to get a loan. Bad for the neighborhood, good for flippers. That's just how it is.

FYI - I believe that many of the theives are the cut rate service providers the banks hire to maintain the property.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
How can it not be considered theft? That's like saying it isn't theft if someone only takes one of your tires because they left the rest of the car there.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
How can it not be considered theft? That's like saying it isn't theft if someone only takes one of your tires because they left the rest of the car there.
It's more complicated with houses, because people conceive of them as immovable property. They might think of "movable" objects within them or attached to them as their property.

For example, you're not going to expect the owners of a foreclosed home to leave their furniture and TV. What if they did a remodeling project, and bought the lighting fixtures, doors, sinks, and cabinets themselves? Are they entitled to take those, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs