Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,764 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I filed chap. 7 bankruptcy about 6 years ago, in the bankruptcy I did NOT reaffirm two mortgages I had in my name at the time. One mortgage was for my primary home, and the other mortgage was a rental that a partner and I had. The mortgage for the rental was being paid by my partner up until about 1 year ago and now that mortgage company has started foreclosure proceedings. Does anyone know how this would affect me? I'm 95% sure I not liable for re-paying any mortgage since I didn't re-affirm but I'm not sure how/if the foreclosure would affect my credit. Will the foreclosure still show up on my credit? If yes does anyone know if hiring an attorney could prevent this? Thanks for your time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Well did your partner refinance into their name or were you still on the mortgage?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well did your partner refinance into their name or were you still on the mortgage?
No it wasn't refinanced... honestly I don't know the answer to if I'm still on the mortgage. It isn't/wasn't being reported on my credit, and in the foreclosure documents filed with the courts the mortgage company acknowledged me filing bankruptcy. They never attempted to contact me to collect funds or anything either.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
The foreclosure action will have to name you to get your name off the deed, so it may appear on your credit as a public record. That doesn't mean you're on the hook to pay for it - if you didn't reaffirm the debt, you're not obligated to pay, and the lender isn't allowed to even try to collect.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itszasecret View Post
Hello All,
I filed chap. 7 bankruptcy about 6 years ago, in the bankruptcy I did NOT reaffirm two mortgages I had in my name at the time. One mortgage was for my primary home, and the other mortgage was a rental that a partner and I had. The mortgage for the rental was being paid by my partner up until about 1 year ago and now that mortgage company has started foreclosure proceedings. Does anyone know how this would affect me? I'm 95% sure I not liable for re-paying any mortgage since I didn't re-affirm but I'm not sure how/if the foreclosure would affect my credit. Will the foreclosure still show up on my credit? If yes does anyone know if hiring an attorney could prevent this? Thanks for your time!!
Try to talk to the law firm that handled your bankruptcy about this.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
If you go to the city/town or county where the land records are kept for that particular property, you can do a quick search of the title and find out exactly whose name is currently on any mortgage deed. You might even find that you are not even listed as an owner of that parcel.

But as others have said, and to paraphrase my friend William, "Get thee to a lawyer"; which is really ironic as he thought the first thing to do to fix the state of the world was to kill them all.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies!! Appreciate the assistance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs