Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 10:46 AM

354 posts, read 776,257 times

Advertisements

Hi, hoping some people on this board might be able to help with this. We moved into our house about 5 years ago, and a few days after we moved in, the family in the house across the street moved out. They bought the house in 2006 at a price that was way too high, and I guess were not able to hold the mortgage.

The house has been vacant since then (5 years now) and is starting to fall into disrepair. Myself and a few other neighbors are trying to figure out what's going on with it. Some websites have listed the house as in pre-foreclosure for the last 3 or 4 years. How can it be in pre-foreclosure for this long? I think that as the house sits, it is becoming more and more dilapidated, to the point where I can't see how a bank, or anyone would be able to ever sell it? I've heard there may be serious problems with the foundation. The utility companies have removed all cables to the house long ago.

Any idea of what will likely happen to this house? Does anyone have any ideas of how to get more information about the status of the property?

Thanks!

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 06:14 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Could you check with your county tax office to see who currently owns the property? It could be the bank, a mortgage company, or maybe the people who once lived there. Anyway, there should at least be an address.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:45 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I think that as the house sits, it is becoming more and more dilapidated, to the point where I can't see how a bank, or anyone would be able to ever sell it?
Bank doesn't care. Government insures the loans. So if it had a mortgage for $100k and sells for full price as a nice house at $100k the bank gets their money. If it sells for $50k the government kicks in $50k and the bank gets their money. The banks always win.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Hi, hoping some people on this board might be able to help with this. We moved into our house about 5 years ago, and a few days after we moved in, the family in the house across the street moved out. They bought the house in 2006 at a price that was way too high, and I guess were not able to hold the mortgage.

The house has been vacant since then (5 years now) and is starting to fall into disrepair. Myself and a few other neighbors are trying to figure out what's going on with it. Some websites have listed the house as in pre-foreclosure for the last 3 or 4 years. How can it be in pre-foreclosure for this long? I think that as the house sits, it is becoming more and more dilapidated, to the point where I can't see how a bank, or anyone would be able to ever sell it? I've heard there may be serious problems with the foundation. The utility companies have removed all cables to the house long ago.

Any idea of what will likely happen to this house? Does anyone have any ideas of how to get more information about the status of the property?

Thanks!

H
I investigated the same thing - a vacant house not only looking terrible aesthetically, but also physically showing signs of decrepit-ness.

I did this all online. First I went to the tax record to find the owner of record. Then I went to the county clerk and searched for court cases with the owner's name. I found what I needed to know. The house had been foreclosed in February, but the owner had filed for bankruptcy in April putting the responsibility of the house's care into limbo. As well, the judge had delayed the case until this past September. And it's been delayed again.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 PM

Thanks, this is all helpful info. I guess the place to start is the county clerk then.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Report to the town and call the mayor's office yourself and report it and see what he tells you

Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 AM

I went to the county clerk's office and they found a lis pendens for the property. She says there is a lien on it. I still don't understand what this means, but there was a contact number for an attorney that the judge assigned to be a referee for the case. She said I could call this person and they would answer any questions I have about the property. Does anyone know if they are legally obligated to tell me anything related to this? I imagine that if I call asking about the case, they are just going to tell me that it is all confidential, etc.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
If it's become a local nuisance, such as attracting rats, kids vandalizing, or druggies shooting up in the yard, contact the city and report it. They can issue an order for the bank to clean it up and secure it, or will do it themselves and bill the bank.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:07 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Unless you have a valid cause, such as what Hemlock140 wrote, there's not much you can learn about the house except for what is considered public, which, frankly, isn't much. Some court documents are out in full view for anyone to see while others require a true just cause for access.

Your next step it seems is to answer the question of why you are seeking information ... is it out of concern for what will be happening to the property to know how it will effect your property values or is it that you and your neighbors want to become proactive in some way to light a fire under someone to turn the eyesore or hazard into a marketable property?

Old 10-31-2015, 10:16 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if they are legally obligated to tell me anything related to this? I imagine that if I call asking about the case, they are just going to tell me that it is all confidential, etc.
Legally, no, a lawyer doesn't even have to take your call. You could offer to pay them $300 an hour to speak to you, but I doubt they will.

Any documents that will tell you what is happening with this house will be public record and recorded at the registry of deeds in your county/state, etc. Its free to view this information at the registry/court house. Court cases around this house are also free to view.

PS. Sometimes counties charge a fee to view or save online and a fee to copy per page in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs