Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 11:10 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Search of online public information has revealed new recent activity. A collection case has been filed for a small credit card debt. Apparently they don't know he's dead.

We're just staying out of it.
If they find out, and they want to go down that road, take the time, spend the money, etc. -- they can get a judgement against the estate. If it's a good collection agency, they will know how to do it and it won't be that expensive. However, the debt amount may not be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 04:35 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,716 times
It might be that some collection agency bought a debt that is unclaimable over 1 year after DOD. They will get no response to the notice left on his door.

Old 07-26-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Search of online public information has revealed new recent activity. A collection case has been filed for a small credit card debt. Apparently they don't know he's dead.

We're just staying out of it.
It appears a default judgement was granted against him because he did not respond to the summons.
I don't think they ever found out he died.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:47 AM

A web page that list foreclosures, has a Pre Foreclosure listing that appears to be the home in this estate. They don't give the full address unless you sign up and pay, but it list the correct town & street and the aerial photograph looks like the property. The street name narrows it down to a pretty small area. I think pre foreclosure must give 30 days before a foreclosure case can be opened in court. I don't know how a 2nd mortgage with a different lender is handled in a foreclosure. There's nothing here for us unless the lender would accept a low bid at a foreclosure auction. I would have to get legal advise before bidding. I can't bid unless it would be free from from estate debts.
I just don't want to eventually hear that some investor got the house for $200.

Old 12-11-2023, 05:12 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
A web page that list foreclosures, has a Pre Foreclosure listing that appears to be the home in this estate. They don't give the full address unless you sign up and pay, but it list the correct town & street and the aerial photograph looks like the property. The street name narrows it down to a pretty small area. I think pre foreclosure must give 30 days before a foreclosure case can be opened in court. I don't know how a 2nd mortgage with a different lender is handled in a foreclosure. There's nothing here for us unless the lender would accept a low bid at a foreclosure auction. I would have to get legal advise before bidding. I can't bid unless it would be free from from estate debts.
I just don't want to eventually hear that some investor got the house for $200.
Often counties will put the deeds online and can be viewed, this would include 2nd mortgages, HELOCs, etc. these are public records and if the county doesn’t have online, you can go in person to view. This would also be the opportunity to ask, in person is better, on how the county runs its auctions, even that may be online.

Counties have tax lien auctions where delinquent property taxes are auctioned each spring and many/most of these are also conducted online.

Information and phone calls are often free, and the pursuit is up to you. Even an hour with an estate attorney can be worth the investment, just bring a hundred questions to get your moneys worth.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:47 PM

A tax auction is unlikely. County web page shows the RE tax is being paid. Probably the mortgage bank is paying it.
I think a foreclosure sale is coming
County offices but it's 30 miles away. I'm not motivated enough to make the trip. I think there should be public notice of a foreclosure sale.
Aside from whatever happens to the house, I'm watching for another chance to look through the contents for family memorabilia. The belongings of 2 other predeceased family members were stored there. The homeowner thought as the oldest and male, everything in his parents estate was his. The storage of stuff there was a convenience cus he had the space, but he kept whatever money and traded in his dads new car. He never shared any information about it. We just chose to be non-confrontational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs