Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 PM

26 posts, read 103,745 times

Advertisements

I am so worried. we are moving next month to another state. We are selling our property on a Short sale after trying to get a Loan Modification (for a year) - was not approved - now we got an offer for $10k less of the value of the house. We are still on the process of being approved. But now we need to rent and our credit is all messed up. We needed to be late to be considered for the loan modification and then for the short sale they required the same thing.. so now, when I am looking into rents - we will have a bad credit report -- and where are we going to be!!
I am soo upset with all this.. I have been reading the requirements of some management companies and they are to the top! How is the majority of people affected witht his crisis doing? I am just frustrated...

any suggestions?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
You can try a private LL. They may have less strict requirements.

There is also a renting forum where I believe this issue has been discussed. Check it out.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 PM

111 posts, read 251,757 times
Default Short Sales . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nala's parents View Post
I am so worried. we are moving next month to another state. We are selling our property on a Short sale after trying to get a Loan Modification (for a year) - was not approved - now we got an offer for $10k less of the value of the house. We are still on the process of being approved. But now we need to rent and our credit is all messed up. We needed to be late to be considered for the loan modification and then for the short sale they required the same thing.. so now, when I am looking into rents - we will have a bad credit report -- and where are we going to be!!
I am soo upset with all this.. I have been reading the requirements of some management companies and they are to the top! How is the majority of people affected witht his crisis doing? I am just frustrated...
any suggestions?!
NP ~ As suggested, the check out the Rental Forum for more info or finding a home in your new location.
~ As to Short-Sales, they have been discussed, at length, on the Real Estate Forum too, but the main threat to you as the seller is to make sure that your debt (Mortgage) is FULLY SETTLED by the short sale.
~ In other words, don't ASSUME that, becuase your lender approves a shrt sale that yu are 'off-the-hook for the loan balance.
~ You SHOULD BE! But you need to make sure that the paperwork cancels (Satisfies) your mortgage AND your Promissory Note.
~ If you don't, they have 25 YEARS to collect!
Hope this helps . . .

Old 05-04-2010, 05:17 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Another option that would work with big management companies would be to prepaid 3-6 months of rents if you have bad credit. That usually does the trick, especially if you can prove you are gainfully employed.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 AM

982 posts, read 3,487,909 times
You are taking steps to make things better. Instead of walking away from your problem and contributing to the decline in the economy, you sought help. You should be commended for that. There are worse things on earth than bad credit. Finding a rental will be a little harder than you would like, but there are more people out there who will be understanding of your situation than you probably suspect. Just like you had to explain your hardship to your bank for your short sale to be approved, you'll have to do the same with finding a rental. You are not alone, many people are going through the same thing. In your spare time, I think you should draft your letter to go with whatever application(s) you submit. You should also proactively offer a double security deposit or a few months rent up front. If you can't do that, try offering more rent every month and a "probationary" lease term instead of the 12 month term which is typical in my area. If you don't feel confident enough to find a place on your own, have a real estate agent help you...more specifically one who has experience with situations like yours. Let us know if you need help writing your letter

Quote:

any suggestions?!

Last edited by Tish Thompson; 05-04-2010 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You can try a private LL. They may have less strict requirements.

There is also a renting forum where I believe this issue has been discussed. Check it out.
Agree w/a private LL. We have rented one of our properties to a family that we wouldn't have considered a year or two ago, BUT, just about everyone is in a similar situation - gainful employment and an extra sec. dep. or pre-pay usually eliminates these issues.

I suspect it is only a matter of time before the professional management companies will figure this out.

Best of luck to you. It will all work out!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:02 PM

Thank you for all the recommendations. I will take all of them in consideration. i never thought about the hardship letter w/the application. That makes sence.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM

sorry - what is a LL ?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,492 times
Quote:
sorry - what is a LL ?
LL = Landlord

To be honest, as a private landlord, credit report is one of the most important things to me. California is so hard to evict someone, I would rather let a unit sit vacant waiting for the right tenant. If you are going to a state with a speedier eviction process, you may have better luck. As an example, if I could evict someone in 30 days, not only would I be a lot more willing to take in "riskier" tenants but if they go late, I would be more forgiving.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,211 times
Is it true that you have to be behind on your house payment 90 days before being able to apply for an FHA home modification?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs