Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy2009 View Post
Middle-aged Mom, my understanding is, using the required mark-to-market accounting (don't even get me started), a property unsold while listed as an REO is fairly toxic to a bank's balance sheet. Banks have a major incentive to get these properties sold before foreclosing on them, for that very reason.

If a property is NEVER listed as bad debt then they would never have it as anything other than an asset. Once the debt goes bad they have problem.

The short sale leaves a real hole.

A borrower that continues to pay does not, even if the terms are changes and the length of the loan increased.

Similarly the "shadow inventory" of zombie borrowers living in places for FREE is not as bad to the twisted minds of the balance sheet obsessed as the realization that a foreclosure really costs money...

The banks are sorta like the computer in the 2001 movie -- one set of instructions says "never hurt the scientists on board" the other set says "keep all of your sensors trained on the moon of Jupiter". Thus the computer goes nuts and locks out the astronauts so they die in space/ their hibernation terminates.

Banks are being told "treat the foreclosed with mercy and compassion" at the same time they are told "do everything you can to make yourself attractive to recapitialization. They are going INSANE trying to pretty up balance sheets littered with loans that NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE while trying not to incur the wrath of members of Congress.

Not good at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
When it comes to market value of a property, these banks should look very carefully at their options vis a vis short sale or foreclosure. I see them deny a short sale and then foreclose and come back into the market at a price that makes their short sale number look like a bonanza. They also wasted 6 months worth of marketing time!

This truly confuses me, but then again, I'm not a drooling, knuckle dragging, cant find my a** with either hand, asset manager.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 AM

57 posts, read 205,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
When it comes to market value of a property, these banks should look very carefully at their options vis a vis short sale or foreclosure. I see them deny a short sale and then foreclose and come back into the market at a price that makes their short sale number look like a bonanza. They also wasted 6 months worth of marketing time!

This truly confuses me, but then again, I'm not a drooling, knuckle dragging, cant find my a** with either hand, asset manager.

Ha! Well, I'm just one of the dopey fools at a global financial services firm.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy2009 View Post
Middle-aged Mom, my understanding is, using the required mark-to-market accounting (don't even get me started), a property unsold while listed as an REO is fairly toxic to a bank's balance sheet. Banks have a major incentive to get these properties sold before foreclosing on them, for that very reason.
Banks hammered Congress who in turn hammered FASB and voila, FASB 157e was born.

The banks claim that it's too difficult to MTM the underlying assets and that doing so, would unfairly impact their balance sheets. They claim that this is only a “temporary” problem and they shouldn’t be penalized because of that.

There is no incentive to sell off toxic assets, chop - chop.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

The banks claim that it's too difficult to MTM the underlying assets and that doing so, would unfairly impact their balance sheets. They claim that this is only a “temporary” problem and they shouldn’t be penalized because of that.

FASB 157 makes up a lot of my day job...

Also, I actually agree with banks that mark-to-market accounting is pretty wretched in practice. Not just difficult to implement, but not "reality-based."

Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Of course, I'm perfectly willing to take advantage of this failure of policy to snag a good deal on a house. Very principled of me, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs