Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
The bank isn't the owner of record, so they can't make decisions about what happens with the property. What you're asking is just like your bank hiring an agent to sell your house and cutting you out of the process. How would you feel about that? Some banks will preapprove short sales, but many are not there yet. Until they're all on the same page, we have to keep on doing what we've been doing.

And this isn't actually like your dining room table analogy. The bank and the homeowner are not a team. They aren't looking out for each others best interest...it's strictly a financial interest for the bank. It's a very one-sided "relationship". I sincerely hope your relationship with your wife is far better than that of a bank and a homeowner
I'll bet the relationship between the bank and the homeowner was just fine on the day the mortgage was taken out.

Yes, there is a difference between selling my dining room table w/o consulting my wife.

However, a seller can not sell his mortgaged house until the bank signs off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Question for Realtors:

Do you know what the mortgage balance is on a short sale?

I mean say if you have 2 identical homes, 2 identical short sale price listings

Both listed at say 400K

home A has a 450K mortgage balance (shorting the bank $50K plus fees)
vs.
home B has a 500K mortgage (shorting the bank 100K plus fees).

Assuming both homes are mortgaged with same bank, wouldn't home A get approved faster than home B?
It depends on the available information in your area. Here, my MLS gives me access to the mortgage amount taken at time of sale, but not refinances. I'd have to search the county recorder's database to find any other liens recorded on the property. Then I'd have to guesstimate the remaining balances, so it may not be very accurate. I'd also ask the listing agent, but they may or may not tell me and would depend if the seller gave them permission to answer.

If one has a lower balance than the other, it may get faster approval, but will also depend on other variables. Is there PMI to deal with? Is there a 2nd lien holder? It's possible the one with higher amount may get faster approval if there are fewer competing interests.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
The bank isn't the owner of record, so they can't make decisions about what happens with the property. What you're asking is just like your bank hiring an agent to sell your house and cutting you out of the process. How would you feel about that? Some banks will preapprove short sales, but many are not there yet. Until they're all on the same page, we have to keep on doing what we've been doing.

And this isn't actually like your dining room table analogy. The bank and the homeowner are not a team. They aren't looking out for each others best interest...it's strictly a financial interest for the bank. It's a very one-sided "relationship". I sincerely hope your relationship with your wife is far better than that of a bank and a homeowner
Mostly this is true, however the bank CAN make decisions about what happens with the property. They have to approve the agreed upon sales price and terms. Then, they have to act... That's been a huge problem, Ive been working on a short sale for a buyer client for over a year!! The second lein holder holds things up for more money not realizing that if it forecloses they get nothing. On the other point, it does seem one sided. But the flip side is it gives the mortgage holder an opportunity to not have a foreclosure on their credit, only the late pmts...that's pretty big.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

Do you know what the mortgage balance is on a short sale?

Assuming both homes are mortgaged with same bank, wouldn't home A get approved faster than home B?
1- I always do. I can only speak for myself.
2-No, they have to go through the same process so A will not be approved any faster than B. As a matter of fact, if it's a better Realtor/package sent in on House B, and a more capable negotiator, House B could indeed be approved faster than House A even if it makes less sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs