Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 16,180 times

Advertisements

We just signed a lease for a home rental in FC and we're moving next week. (Hooray!) The kids start school the following week so this is all happening really fast.

I'm looking into Qwest vs. Comcast for Internet, TV, and phone (though we may end up with no landline). So far I've been able to deduce that Qwest and Comcast seem to be the only games in town, Qwest was just bought by CenturyLink, and Comcast is faster, but more expensive.

I work from home, so getting this established is priority one.

In our current home we have DirecTV with a Tivo DVR ... it's a good seven or eight years old and I'm pretty sure it's no longer made, but it works perfectly so we still use it. I don't have much experience with other DVRs. We don't watch a lot of TV, which is precisely why I want a DVR, to watch what I want, when I want.

Any opinions out there on what to go with? Or is it all just six of one, half a dozen of the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 PM

718 posts, read 1,986,661 times
We have not had TV service in 20+ years, but just went through the same decision process for our internet service. I understand that Comcast requires a minimum length contract, whereas Qwest does not. So as to not be tied into something long tern if it didn't work out, we went with Qwest 7mbps download and 5mbps upload. The speed is sufficient for our needs. By dropping our land line, we are paying the same price we were paying before. We have been a Qwest Internet subscriber for several years, but were at a very slow speed and needed faster service for two adults working from home and two teenagers. The only issue I have is that they would not let me buy the router / modem, but require that we lease it at $5/month. I am searching for one to purchase so I can return this one.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 PM

16 posts, read 31,508 times
Default This is probably too late...

...to help the original poster, but thought I would share my experience. We moved to FoCo about 1.5 months ago--moved into our apartment 3 weeks ago, so the info is fresh for me.

We originally planned to go with Qwest, but we would have had to wait almost 2 weeks for install, and the speed was quite slow. There would have been no contract and no charge for installation. I called Comcast--faster speeds. However, Comcast is VERY annoying to deal with. They have better rates on their website, but it's hard to get information/support. When you call, the reps are SUPER friendly and helpful, but they CANNOT match the website deals. I spoke to many reps and supervisors without success. I finally signed up for the deal online (the web reps refused to waive installation fees) and got one of the supervisors to waive the fees. Since our unit had previously had service, he sent out a tech to double-check the signal was coming into the apartment. We bought our own modem/router combo at Best Buy and hooked it up ourselves. We had to go through tech support with Comcast, but it was very speedy to get the service activated. (It helped that I had the direct number for tech support, so we immediately spoke to someone who knew what they were doing.) Service has been really good. And, there's no contract.

Regarding TV, I have previously had Comcast (in Atlanta) and the service and VOD is very good. But, I never liked how their DVR worked. We spent some time with friends in FoCo before our apartment was ready and they had DirecTV. The DVR works MUCH, MUCH better than Comcast. Although, not as much in the free VOD area. Comcast in Atlanta had CNN International, but Comcast in FoCo does not offer that channel. So, it was an easy decision to go with DirecTV. They require a 2 year contract. The deal I got has all kinds of incentives for the first year--next year will be very expensive. But, I was able to get the 'friend referral discount'--my friend and I will each save $10/month for 10 months which is pretty cool. And, I believe AAA offers a DirecTV discount which I need to call about as well. The picture with DirecTV is amazing. The poor guy took about 2 hours to install it, but he was great and called before coming as I had requested.

So far, we've been very happy with DirecTV and Comcast internet. Please cross your fingers for us! ;-)

Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 PM

29 posts, read 50,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedaysomeway View Post
In our current home we have DirecTV with a Tivo DVR ... it's a good seven or eight years old and I'm pretty sure it's no longer made, but it works perfectly so we still use it. I don't have much experience with other DVRs. We don't watch a lot of TV, which is precisely why I want a DVR, to watch what I want, when I want.
I have DirecTV through Qwest/Centurylink and would reccommend you try to transfer your DTV account that way. I also have DSL through Qwest and would say it is at least as fast, if not faster, than anything Comcast can offer. I used to have Comcast for internet and TV and have never been happier than the day I told them to pack sand!

I would call Qwest and see if your DTV account can be transferred through them. You should get a discount on the DTV when bundled with landline service from Qwest and Qwest/CL offers several speeds of internet also. Don't believe Comcast's claims about faster internet! Also, DTV provides much better service and twice as many channels for the cost as cable. DTV customer service is notoriously bad when dealing with them directly (but certainly no worse than Comcast's) and I have had excellent customer service from Qwest.

Bottom line - Comcast service had regular outages (on both internet & TV) and I will never use them again. With Qwest I bundle DSL & DTV with my phone and have never been happier (the occasional TV weather outages are usually brief and Qwest has been fairly prompt when there was a problem with the phone or DSL).

Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 PM

29 posts, read 50,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
The only issue I have is that they would not let me buy the router / modem, but require that we lease it at $5/month. I am searching for one to purchase so I can return this one.
That seems odd...when I was having problems with DSL last summer (it was their equipment) Qwest actually tried to sell me a modem.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 AM

16 posts, read 31,508 times
Default Not to sound like a commerical for Comcast....

....but in our area (near CSU) the speeds Qwest offered for internet were 1/2 of what Comcast provided. I was shocked that Qwest offered such poor speed near a college campus. So far, we haven't done anything really challenging--except download a film from DTV.

I believe the cost for Comcast & Qwest are quite similar, so I would research what they offer in your area.

Just a tip: a LOT of consumer advocates warn against 'bundling' your phone, internet, TV, etc. service. When we originally were planning to go with Qwest, they offered a DTV combo but we didn't find it any cheaper than ordering separately.

Happy shopping!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:15 AM

210 posts, read 471,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
The only issue I have is that they would not let me buy the router / modem, but require that we lease it at $5/month. I am searching for one to purchase so I can return this one.
No clue why you could not buy a modem? I have had Qwest since I moved here a year ago and was given the option to purchase or rent my modem. I opted to buy my modem and they split the payments (33/month for 3 months). Since buying my modem I had to have it replaced and Qwest did so, for free even paying for the shipping/handling box (and that was like 2 months ago). So they do sell them and they're about 100 bucks. No clue why they haven't offered it to you.

To the original poster. I've had DishTv, Qwest, Comcast (over the last couple years) and I think they're all about the same so I'd likely take the one with the best promotion! ...though I will say that Qwest does not have a minimum contract and you are able to call in and change your package to whatever promotion they are offering at that time (which is a nice bonus that their promotions aren't limited to new customers only).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area