Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,278 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about getting my Masters at Colorado State University in Fort Collins. What is the average rental cost of a 3 bedroom home with a backyard? Do people in Colorado really hate people from Texas? I hear this a lot. Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 PM

21 posts, read 38,717 times
I received my undergraduate degree at CSU. A three-bedroom home will run in the ballpark of about $1500/month. It could be slightly lower/higher depending on how close to campus you wish to live and the quality of the accommodations.

Houses around campus are a hot commodity; most students settle into their leases by the end of spring break before they return for the fall. Also, when I attended CSU, Fort Collins had an ordinance that prohibited more that three unrelated people from living together in a home. I'm not sure whether this unpopular ordinance has been repealed yet, so it's something to keep in mind if you're seeking roommates to help with rent.

I'd recommend looking at Craigslist Fort Collins listings to get an idea of the prices. Just be sure to filter your search results for Fort Collins so that you don't get a bunch of listings for surrounding cities, like Loveland or Windsor. (However, living in northern Loveland is also a good option if you don't mind the commute.)

It is true that many Coloradans dislike Texans, but this mostly applies to people who are older. For the most part, students really won't care where you're from. However, many of my friends from Texas, as well as other southern states, reported that we're very reserved in Colorado. They've told me that we're not as friendly and outgoing as the people from their home states. This could be interpreted as hostility, but it's really just a cultural difference.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,005,981 times
For the most part, Coloradans don't "hate" anyone. They do however dislike stupidity, narrowmindedness, and hatred (qualities that unfortunately characterize many Texans these days). It's just a way of showing that they (we) don't want to accept and embrace characteristics that are counter to the mindset of most Coloradans. Texans are also known for being very proud and defensive of "their ways", which just makes matters worse.

As long as a visiting Texan puts CO first, respects the culture of the state, and doesn't stand on a pedestal or a soap box, there should be no problems at all

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 01-05-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehippo View Post
I was thinking about getting my Masters at Colorado State University in Fort Collins. What is the average rental cost of a 3 bedroom home with a backyard? Do people in Colorado really hate people from Texas? I hear this a lot. Thanks for all the help.

Funny you should ask, I moved to Fort Collins from Texas about 2 years ago, YES they hate people from Texas here. One crazy guy tried to run me off the road, refused to let me pass him up on the Interstate, one crazy old lady in town flipped me off as she passed me for no reason, I have no idea what she was mad about other than my Texas plates. This past Friday I called a local business to ask a question, when I mentioned to her that I moved from Texas the woman got very irate and texted me after we hung up and proceeded to tell me that people from Texas are a bunch of know it all arrogant yee-haw's and that I didnt belong here. The other incident happened in Loveland, I was on 287 heading South and an old man also got right next to me and started calling me the most vulgar names, followed me for a little while and scared me so bad that I had to call the police, when he saw me on the phone he turned. I was glad when we registered our vehicle, it seems to be the older generation that is close-minded. One time while on the train in downtown Denver I heard some guys talking trash about how they could always tell who the Texans were on the ski slopes because they always had the flashiest winter jackets and jeans on while skiing....I love it here I was born and raised here, moved to Texas when I was a teen and came back as soon as I could. I love Texas as well though lots of different cultures, food, shopping....I guess a handful of incidents in a couple of years isnt so bad? Mentioning Texas or having Texas plates though is like a bad word or a bad omen.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the info. You guys were very informative. Cost of living seems to be a lot higher up there than where i am from. Good thing i still have time to save up some money. I only asked about the Colorado/Texas feud (?) because every time i tell people that we (my husband and i ) want to go to college in Colorado they say they would be rude to us. We are from Texas. I like my state, but my beliefs and ideals do not fit in too well here. When we visited in 2011, we did not experience any rude or crazy behavior like gselene encountered. I did notice that there are some cultural differences. But i really enjoyed my 2 weeks there.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM

I had no problems or issues whatsoever, even when driving around for about a month with TX license plates. Maybe it helped that I put a colorful and beautiful Colorado sticker above the license plate, completely overshadowing it! Anyway, TX is now just a memory that fades more and more every day

Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM

99 posts, read 226,287 times
My husband grew up in Texas. He doesn't have much of an accent any more, but it pops out any time he says hill, pill, etc. But it's rare that people know he's from Texas until they've gotten to know him. And the only person in Fort Collins that really gives him any guff about it is me. ;-)

Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 AM

Saying "you guys" instead of "ya'll" is particularly difficult for some reason

Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM

When i was 8 or 9 my cousins from Indiana use to tease me because of my accent and the use of "ya'll". I made up my mind at that point i was going to work on that. Most new Texans i meet ask me where i am from and can't believe i say Texas. I get Canada guessed a lot. Strange as that sounds.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM

566 posts, read 1,941,086 times
Hi Texas! You will be welcomed by me.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-10-2013 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Let's not go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area