Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:14 PM

49 posts, read 188,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenneelee28 View Post
We didn't get into the school choice that I picked, which was Zach. Would love to hear the ins and outs of other schools. I will talk to people when I get up there but would love real parent feedback if you have the time. My boys will be entering 3rd and 5th grade. Thanks!
Hi, we live in Chandler and are relocating to Fort Collins this summer, check out Ridgeview Classical Charter, it made the top school choices in the latest US News top schools 2012, not sure if there is a lottery that you would need to enter, check and see. My kids are going to be in 9th and 11th, the 11th grader was able to get in so my soon to be 9th grader (sibling priority) won't have an issue.
Top Colorado High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Yes, I have heard good things about Zach Elementary, a new home subdivision is being built next door and I guess there is alot of interest in that new housing subdivision because of families wanting to enroll their kids in Zach Elementary. Check out Ridgeview it is rated very very high on a national level also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 PM

13 posts, read 51,216 times
You can still get into Zach if you find a rental in Fossil Lake or Observatory Village. Not sure if you knew but that is a closed school only available if you live in those two neighborhoods or so the school policy states of course there are exceptions. We go there and love it so hopefully you can find a way.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 AM

99 posts, read 226,102 times
Our kids attended Dunn Elementary, which is our neighborhood school. They then attended Lincoln Middle School, which was excellent. And they're now moving on to high school at Poudre. But these are all north end schools. If your husband is going to be commuting to Greeley, it sounds like something on the south side of town would be good. Anything near Harmony should make it easy to get to the highway and still keep you close to activity in Fort Collins.

And I would think that looking for rentals down that way would be very different than looking for rentals up near campus.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM

21 posts, read 41,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aujusali View Post
You can still get into Zach if you find a rental in Fossil Lake or Observatory Village. Not sure if you knew but that is a closed school only available if you live in those two neighborhoods or so the school policy states of course there are exceptions. We go there and love it so hopefully you can find a way.
I will keep my fingers crossed that I can find a rental! Thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM

104 posts, read 417,720 times
Default Rentals

If you can, check out Touchstone Property. They are a property management company and manage a large number of rental properties in Fort Collins and Loveland. A large majority of their rentals are college student rentlals (read: DUMPS) but also manage quite a few properties not targeted at the college students as well.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 PM

Thanks A2Mich!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,162 times
Jenneelee, Zach filled up because it is the new one. There was a rush to get in as some just have to have new things, but new does not necessarily mean "better". That being said, my 3 kids went through Johnson Elementary/Webber Middle/Rocky Mountain High and are all thriving in college, as are their classmates. Their education was rich, their test scores were always high and their activity plate was very full. My wife is a High School counselor in Ft Collins and tells me that the district works very hard to keep the playing field even for all students, as does the Windsor schools. I am also a Realtor and agree with Mike- we are not the appropriate professionals for a rental search, but can give you our thoughts on particular neighborhoods. The contracts are all 6 month or yearly so that the homes are not empty for the 2+ summer months when school is out.
The "boom" that you experienced in Arizona was really just a "pop" around here (except for the jumbo homes that were way over-purchased by those fleeing California). Other than huge drops in those $500k plus priced homes, there has been little movement in home values or sales numbers over the past few years. Now, though, with lower interest rates (and those few foreclosures flushed out), sales numbers are up and the prices are creeping up also- but just creeping. Have no fear- the good press on Fort Collins is true!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM

Thanks Dmogie!

My kids currently attend a 50 year old elementary school that I love! We don't have a lot of new shiny equipment except for the stuff we are able to buy with the funds we raise through PTO. I am open to all schools and I know that a lot of a school's success(es) depends on the community of teachers, parents, students and principal. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get that feel before we rent our house.

Thank you to all of the posters that have given me some insight to their thoughts on what these communities are like. Thank you in advance for allowing me to pick your brains as we find neighborhoods that come available for our family to live in.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM

76 posts, read 154,235 times
My boys attended Tavelli, Lincoln and Poudre and I feel the education was very good. These are north Ft Collins schools. They are grown now and tell me they would not have wanted to attend private or charter schools. Two have bachelors (one of which is contemplating going on for a masters) and the third is in the process of getting his bachelors degree.

PS -as to commuting to Greeley being close to I 25 is more important than being south Ft Collins. From where I live up north I can get on at the Mountain view exit it is 15 min to the I25 and loveland 34 interchange. Having to travel through any amount of town and use the busier harmony exit could take as much or even more time. I am also very convinienlty located near to old town never more than 5 min. and very doable on a bike as well.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-04-2013 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 AM

I visited your lovely city last weekend and now can't wait to move there. The people were so nice and friendly. Everyone wa s full of advice. It snowed but I think that made the city beautiful. I am still confused at the rental market. It is crazy how some houses go so fast and others stay on the mls longer. I have been watching Northerncoloradorentals.com pretty much everyday but things change very fast. Is it always like this around this time a year? Any more advice? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area