Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 03:59 PM

6 posts, read 11,520 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
There is a very high possibility that my family will be relocating to the Fort Collins/Northern Colorado area. I am very much hoping to get neighborhood and school recommendations. We are a young family of seven plus one puppy. We have five kiddos ages ranging from 4 to 11 years of age. Really any information, thoughts/opinions about the area in general would be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
What is your housing price range (Rent or buy)?

I prefer Loveland to Ft Collins, (slower paced, less traffic, good community, good schools)
but if extremely price sensitive, all of No Co can be a challenge.

Need to look to the outlying areas if you have housing cost restriction.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Good Morning StealthRabbit and thank you for the reply! We unfortunately cannot buy at this time, so we will be renting. Regardless, the impression that I've been getting so far is that the housing market in the Fort Collins area is really tough right now for renters and buyers ( a dream for sellers). Is this true?
Our price range for monthly rent is 1800-2200 for atleast a three bedroom two bath property.
Do you have any specific recommendations for schools and neighborhoods in Loveland?

Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Chib, for the amount you mentioned above, you should be able to find something in Fort Collins. At least price-wise, that isn't a problem. Over the summer though, of course, it is much harder to find a place.

I'd steer away from Loveland based on the simple fact that you have children, and the schools in Loveland are inferior to FC. Really, everyone that I've spoken to agrees that FC is the only real option for kids and education. Living in FC, whenever I drive through Loveland, it often looks a bit poor and "down-and-out' to me. Maybe it's just concentrated along 287 - and very visible - or it could be more prevalent.

If you were older and retired (like StealthRabbit), Loveland might make more sense, due to not needing to worry about schools. It is also quieter with less shops, businesses, etc.

I'd visit the area first (both towns), before making any long-term decisions, to be on the safe side.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-16-2014 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Sunderpig, thank you very much for replying. We have actually been up there a couple of times to scope out the area (we live in the Springs). South/South East Fort Collins seems like a nice area as well as Windsor. What are you're thoughts on Windsor? I've noticed that there seems to be quite a few people in this forum who are also thinking of or are going to relocate up to Northern Colorado. I know Fort Collins has gained some national attention for being an "ideal place to live." Has there been that much of an influx of people for residents to really feel its effects? (Other than, driving up housing costs.) I guess what I'm asking is: what is the general attitude among residents about "newcomers"? I'm only asking because I've used Craigslist as a way to garner recommendations in the past (for example: pediatricians) in both Colorado Springs and Spokane,WA and I've always received at least a few responses. Well so far for Fort Collins, I have received absolutely nothing. I'm wondering if people just don't care, are way too busy or just want us to go away. Maybe it's just me, but I feel it a little disconcerting that not one parent can drop me a note to say," Hey, well we live here and we like it" etc. etc.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
I haven't noticed any negative attitude towards newcomers, but I'm sure there are long-time residents that feel uneasiness about seeing the town grow to a significant degree. People generally are polite and busy enough with their own lives to not spend a lot of time griping or complaining. As for personal opinions of the town, I think most don't want to color other's expectations, and so don't say much. I'll just say that one's job can make a big difference. Some have great jobs, which makes everything easier (of course). Many others are struggling, even if it isn't obvious. If you're from Colorado Springs, you would notice the smaller job base.

Yes, Windsor is worth a look at too. We have friends that live there, and like it. It's smaller and largely residential.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-17-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 02:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
There are a lot of nice areas in Loveland. Since you are renting, you need to find out where places are available and affordable. I would do the rural stuff west of town if you have elementary aged kids. I like Namaqua and Big Thompson schools.

In town I would choose areas close to Bill Reed school or west / north / northwest of there (older Loveland / west side)

West of Lake (Cherry Hills) is a decent 'affordable' neighborhood too.

Tough to go wrong in Loveland, except for SE area. (East of Chilson Center / Library)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area