Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM

355 posts, read 818,492 times

Advertisements

So upon visiting Loveland last week and meeting with the company I am going to work for I began looking at homes and found a few in my price range in the Drake, CO area. Mapquest shows the house I'm looking at to be 20 miles from Loveland and about a 30 minute drive. Does anyone here have any insight on this area. Unfortunately I didn't venture to Drake, we went south instead and I found this place online after I've already returned to Oklahoma. Any comments on this area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Drake is a nice little locale, but there is not much there. You will be driving into Loveland for anything you need.

There are few homes down in the canyon near the Drake store. Most of the homes with Drake addresses are in the Cedar Park or Cedar Springs subdivision. These subdivisions are up a steep, winding, narrow gravel road that can be pretty treacherous in the winter. There are folks who live up there year round, but if you are commuting, you had better make sure you have a good 4 wheel drive vehicle, a place in town to stay if caught in a storm, or an understanding boss that will allow you a day off work if the storm comes overnight and you can't get down to work. Many homes in those subdivisions are second homes or vacation cabins that are used mostly in the summer.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Thank you Mike. We live in the country now and have a 20 minute drive to the nearest town and a 45 minute drive to a town like Loveland. The winter weather is a concern...but we both have 4x4's.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Econo Drake Homes are likely in Cedar Park area. (where my 4H leader had a 'high-ranch' in the 1960's) This is QUITE different than towns south of Loveland, and quite remote and difficult (bumpy / long access on gravel and VERY busy SLOW winding canyon road(US34), especially in summer. I did fine commuting via motorcycle, BUT pay up your insurance.

Really depends on your needs and taste. I personally would rent something closer in, (on Waterdale Dr or Masonville Rd / Near Big T school), then scout out the area for what would suit you. It can be really tough to sell a place in Cedar Park, as most are 'seasonal' get-a-ways, tho some folks over-winter there.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Thanks SR...I loved Colorado on our visit, but the residential areas we found we nothing like we are used to. Beautiful homes, but 10 foot next to it was another home. We prefer a spread out community or like we are now where my neighbor is 1/4 mile up the road. Drake looks to be somewhat like that. With that said though, you folks know the area much better than I do. Our vehicles are both fairly new...mine is a 2012 Denali 2500 Duramax 4x4 and Jenn's is a 2012 Dodge Nitro 4x4. Would these make it in this area, or are the roads that bad?

I'm wishing I would have found this place before we left so I could have seen it first hand.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM

29 posts, read 50,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Thanks SR...I loved Colorado on our visit, but the residential areas we found we nothing like we are used to. Beautiful homes, but 10 foot next to it was another home. We prefer a spread out community or like we are now where my neighbor is 1/4 mile up the road. Drake looks to be somewhat like that. With that said though, you folks know the area much better than I do. Our vehicles are both fairly new...mine is a 2012 Denali 2500 Duramax 4x4 and Jenn's is a 2012 Dodge Nitro 4x4. Would these make it in this area, or are the roads that bad?

I'm wishing I would have found this place before we left so I could have seen it first hand.
I have been looking for a home in the Front Range foothills/mountains and was up there a month or two ago. Most homes listed as Drake are actually on Storm Mountain NW of Drake proper and there are currently many homes available there (several foreclosures in varying conditions). There is more space between homes unlike houses in the Big Thompson canyon that tend to be squeezed into tiny lots on steep hillsides. The biggest problem with Storm Mtn is the single access road which is steep and rough. Your Denali shouldn't have too many problems but the Nitro may not deal as well with the bad weather days - if you move there your vehicles WILL wear out faster as regular travel on roads like this takes its toll.

Another area you might consider is Glen Haven (further NW of Drake but on the main "backroad" to Estes Park - not as many houses for sale and generally pricier than Drake but easier to get to. Like others have advised you might want to rent for a while and conduct your own search of the surrounding areas before you buy.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Yes my wife is 6 months pregnant and under her teaching contract until the end of June. We own a nice Montana 5th wheel that I will be living in for the first few months up there. I already planned to get to know the area before buying, plus we have to sell our home here in Oklahoma first. Thanks again for the insight. Seems that the roads there are my main concern. I must say the home I found is my dream home and very affordable compared to the other homes in the area that I tend to find as " just alright" for much more $$$.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 PM

You will not be pulling a big 5r to Cedar Park (At least the last time I was up that road, hopefully it is much better now).

You can surely find a rural farm / place between Loveland and Berthoud and NW towards Masonville, that will rent you an RV pad. Take a motorcycle and do some FAST and exhaustive searching for rural props. I would choose the Buckhorn Canyon before I would go up Big T beyond Dam Store. Your access to public lands (recreation and less people) is much better up past Masonville. There are many nice rural mini-farms near Berthoud and Loveland. Look around the base of Carter Lake and between US 34 and Carter Lake. (and north to Horsetooth). There are some real bargains on distressed home sales, and while you may be biting more off than you desire, this is the time to get prime location, as you will be priced out when the market recovers. Thus your current investment is far more valuable near town, as you can always pick up the 'far-away' places cheap. Hold for 2 yrs, and cash in FREE capital gains, then move out in the boonies.

For commuting to Cedar park, I would use a '49 willys or early Land Cruiser, and leave the modern Iron at the bottom of the road. With your capital tied up in nice rigs, you should have plenty to buy a nice place (or sell the iron to fund it... BTDT... I now drive a $35 car Haven't had a new car since 1973 and that one (GM 4x4) spent more time in shop than any of my $100 cars since).

I would not put a wife with family up in Cedar Park (or Glenhaven). There are tons of much more user friendly places with adequate privacy and low cost.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Ya I plan on setting up my 5th wheel in Loveland at an RV park, definitely not in the steep mountains. Thank you for your advice again. I will definitely check out the other areas you mentioned.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Ya I plan on setting up my 5th wheel in Loveland at an RV park, definitely not in the steep mountains. Thank you for your advice again. I will definitely check out the other areas you mentioned.
Consider Riverside Motel, they have some cheap RV sites and are in the center of the region I suggested. ~ 7 miles west of Loveland

There is also Riverview (across from big T school) a bit more $$, but nicer. (unless there is a flood...) I don't think it gets water anymore, as they have cabins too... but I have seen it underwater too many times as a kid to sleep well there.

Consider Flatiron for a REALLY nice and quiet RV site. (still in the center of region I mentioned, bit further, probably 'stay' restricted, but worth at least a week's stay... very nice)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area